Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

New Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 07:19 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New Headlights

Gordon, I have a four week trial that starts Wednesday. We shall pick this up later if I am so inclined. I noted in today's newspaper that BMW took the "top scores in new crash tests performed by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety". Unfortunately Volvo is not rated up there and the J.D. Powers survey doesn't show it any more. Volvo has not performed well in the past several years as it pertains to safety or reliability. You have a bit of catching up to do re: BMW vs Volvo engines! Think Double VANOS. You will not fine that in Volvo. Transmissions? SMG. You will not find that in Volvo. Yamaha engines? Gordon, Ford used an Yahmaha in their SHO and it..............well, let's put it this way..............it 'ain't' there no more. Back to the engine...........Volvo does not have variable valve timing or Valvetronic Motronic. The list is endless. Now, before you become upset again.....yes, I own a Volvo and probably will keep it for several years as it has low mileage. Do I enjoy it? Yes, immensly so. But Gordon, I am several years your senior and have owned several Jags, Mercedes, BMWs, Corvettes (12 to be exact), and the list goes on and on. Volvo does not compete with BMW or Mercedes however some day they may do so. Volvo has carved a niche in the automotive circle that belongs to them and Saab. I have owned a Saab and whereas it was an enjoyable auto (with the exception of the ignition switch) my Volvo is considerably more enjoyable. As Ford's input becomes more noticable I am sure that Volvo will change their direction and become more "mainstream". You can see that Ford resurected Jaguar and perhaps we shall see that in Volvo. I personally would like to see the resale value of a Volvo increase as they hold their value about as well as a Kia! One last thing............a M5 has a ten cylinder engine........I truly doubt that a s60r will ever be in the same league. I hope your blue head lamps work out for you and your Volvo gives you years of enjoyment. It is not my intent to poke fun at you as obviously we both have something in common.........a Volvo. Let's stop this bickering and 'drive on'. As I mentioned, I am busy for the next month but wish you the best............although I still feel a 4 door Volvo is a shoe box. Lastly, you should join the Volvo club as their bi-monthly magazine has some articles in it that I am sure you would enjoy...............unless you already are a member?
R.

ORIGINAL: gordon368

Actualy it's the same engine "inline 6", the size may not be the same but the layout is. Volvo has put out a sedan(s80) that clearly meets the luxury in the 7 series, beats any 5 series in a race. Oh and why don't you try and out handle me in the snow with your BMW? Maybe if you took the time to read those posts, LIKE ALL CARS, my car needed a major tune up.

Oh and your little 6 series? that will be blown away by volvo's yamaha V8, which probably in the process take the doors off that 7 series too. Volvo is in the midst of a revolution, and its only time when BMW is going to be lagging behind. Volvo may be a few steps behind now, but in safety they are atleast 20 steps ahead of BMW. I feel great knowing that I can speed around in my t6, knowing that I have 5 star safey ratings for all type's of crashes. Which would you rather have,a few more useless trinkets in the cabin, or safety? Don't get me wrong, BMW has a decent line up of cars.

Just think of it this way, The s80 is the average of the 3,5, 6, and 7 series averaged together. It's got plenty of power under the hood, lots of luxury options, an endless list of safety features, great handling ALL YEAR ROUND, optional refrigerar, OH and not to mention, that the s80 is VERY efficient in gas mileage. Just take a look at the entire line up , s40 = the 3 series line up, s60 = 5 series and 6 series line up, s80 with the yamaha v8 = 6 series and 7 series. Not to mention that the s60r is probably going to be the next m5, just give it some time. Not to mention Volvo has the fastest SUV out there with the best safety rating.

So reg, why dont you get off you high horse before pride takes the best of you. As it stands now, that foot of mine.... Oh lets not talk about where it's going now...

Old 03-07-2006, 01:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reg,

I hope you didnt take offense to anything, I was honestly enjoying this little quarrel...

enjoy your trial man.

Old 03-07-2006, 05:08 AM

Yeah, why can't we all just get along like good little boys and girls? If you wan't to have a bitching contest you can always settle it with a race.

For all you professionals out there, what performance options do I have for my S80 2.9? Are there any supercharger or electronic turbo kits that can be purchased? I have seen some electronic kits with like a 6 hp engine that can push around 4 or 5 PSI (quite notcieable when going from nothing). I know that I can also have a custom exhaust fitted onto it with a Y hook up assuming I can get the proper headers (I'm looking for dual straight). Intake can be custom as well. My main question is are there any manufactures that already make performance upgrades for my car? Becaue of the noted coil problems that performance sparks can cause, they would not be my first choice.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:05 PM

I've been looking for some performance parts my self for my s80, but I have the turbo, I wish EVOLVE would come out with stuff for the s80 as they did for the s60 models.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Give it a little while longer.

Old 03-07-2006, 11:33 PM

heh, Ive been waiting for sometime like 6 months..... lol..

how long do you think tech!

Old 03-07-2006, 11:36 PM
Administrator

Not sure Call them and Ask if they have something coming out in the future.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:44 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: reg

.... for an inexpensive upgrade for brighter lights I would suggest the Sylvania Silver Star bulbs that make a huge difference in 'brightness'.
I put some Sylvania SilverStar Ultra bulbs in my 2003 S80 this evening based pretty much on the advice from this thread and after about 15 minutes of driving the check engine light came on. Could just be a coincidence I suppose and something else is wrong, but its not displaying any messages on the LCD, so guess Im going to buy regular bulbs tomorrow and swap them back out. Hopefully the check engine light will go off again.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:16 PM
Administrator

The light bulbs have nothing to do with the check engine light.
The check engine light only applies to the engine and transmission systems.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:57 AM
Banned

Couldn't excessive current draw show up as an alternator problem, or something like that?

EDIT: yeah, even with headlights off check engine light is staying on. so guess it's something else.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:05 AM
Banned

Just to close the loop... I pulled the negative cable of battery to reset CEL and it hasn't come back on since. So I guess it's not serious, or I hope so anyways. Probably an oxygen sensor or something.

Thanks again for the good advice.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:18 AM
Administrator

It could be a number of things if the light comes back on have the codes pulled. A loose gas cap will set a code.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:43 AM
Banned

Been driving around a bit this morning and CEL is still off, so guess I'm OK for now.

These Silver Star Ultra bulbs are really nice too, by the way. Glad I didn't take them out.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:56 PM

I like these Euro cars but really guys arguing over speed BMW MERCEDES & VOLVO are OK but if I really want speed I'd look at a Porche, Corvette, Mustang, RX7 or RX8 Nissan Z, Infinity or just a car labeled sports car. Luxury is just that luxury & these big cows as I call them just dont have that sports car mystique. I love them but as for speed I want a car that looks like a sports car 2 doors close to the ground corners & just feels like a sports car not 4 door. I have a S80 & I love it for the feel and it does handle great but Im not gonna go and compare it to a sports car and as for BMW & Mercedes those motors just cost too much to think you can drive it like a sports car cause when they break down so will your wallet. I've owned RX7's which is the poor mans porche & with a lil work that wankel can spank alot of these expensive cars especially with the mild work my friends who race cars in Puerto Rico have done to the motors

Last edited by MaxBoost13brx; 03-30-2009 at 09:01 PM.