Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

New Radiator BAD :( transfluid in coolant

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy New Radiator BAD :( transfluid in coolant

Hello all
I am a current ower of a 2002 S-80
and this may be one of my all time fav cars with that being said I am in aw right now.

I recently was at the local service shop for a small coolant leak like a golfball sized spot on the garage floor they said the radiator was going bad and would need to be replaced. ok no biggie I picked up the parts and had them toss it in and all was well so I thought
after about 450 miles I noticed the trasmission slipping right before downshifting into the next gear it also had a slight shutter.
so back to the shop I went and they said the torque converter was starting to go I was quite bummed and brought it to the tranny shop for a estimate.
This is where it gets worse come to find out the Radiator I had put in is defective and trans fluid got into the coolant system and coolant into the transfluid and was told I would need to flush both systems an replace the Radiator again.

So my questions are.
Is it to late to just flush the systems and repalce the radiator or has the damage been done and I more then likely will be looking at a Transmission in the near future if I was to do the work?

I did flush the transfluid and it seemed to have helped but im sure thats only temporary and did still slip/shutter slightly.

Just looking for opinions if its worth trying to fix or just cut my losses.
I will need to do a timing belt in the near future like 6000 miles.

radiator with labor $715
transmission $3200
timing belt $900

Thank you for any input you may have I'm at my witts end.
O and to top it off went out to my truck couple days ago since I didn't want to drive my car and it needs a complete fuel line overhaul and a gas tank replaced but thats for a different forum...

Last edited by Chingis; 01-09-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:35 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I hope you replace the radiator with a good one. If I were you, I would do my best to make the company that made that radiator pay for my car repairs. This is NOT uncommon. I would recommend that you purchase parts from www.iPdusa.com or FCP, they should have a good grip on selling parts that really work on Volvo's.

As for your tranny, if it's still slipping, it is likely that it will soon need to be replaced. Sorry for your troubles, you may be able to find a cheaper transmission replacement option if you keep looking.