Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

No I don't know what I'm doing. Hi Volvo lovers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 12:07 AM
RCO
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could not find where to go for introduction.

Last edited by RCO; 03-22-2016 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Change My introduction,
Old 03-25-2016, 10:04 AM
RCO
Default Needing a little help.

Have a question about the SRS URGENT MESSAGE.
I have a 1999 S80 2.9, the car was left sitting never driven for around 6 year's. After getting the car to my garage doing lots of work to get her back to her glory days.
I've been driving the S80 for 2 weeks everything on the car working great except for the battery was a bit to large for the battery compartment, I purchased a new one that fits the battery compartment, now I'm pleased with this, looks much better.
Start the car and as I was pulling out of my garage is noticed that the airbag light had stayed on and message read out saying SRS URGENT.
The closest Volvo dealer is 150 miles from my location, the Automotive repair shops that have ability to read the SRS SYSTEM wants 150 dollars just to connect to the car and check for codes.
I'm not sure but I am thinking that maybe I caused the SRS URGENT MESSAGE to log when I changed out the car's battery? If I have to spend the money to make the car safe again then that's fine but I don't want to pay them if it is something simple that I can resolve myself, I can't find much information about the SRS system.
Sorry about going on so long but I thought some background about the car my help .
Thank you for any help/advice

Old 05-03-2016, 02:13 PM

You changed the battery and this happened?
Pull the neg off, turn the key to the second position II and re connect. That's supposed to be done at first to stop it from coming up I hear. But not sure if it will remove the message now.
let me know.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:33 AM
RCO

I've tried every fix that I have been able to find on this Volvo site and a few other Volvo sites I have looked at. All pretty much have the same solutions to turning off the SRS URGENT MESSAGE and Airbag light.
I've had my S 80 in my shop for the past few weeks replacing suspension parts front to rear. All new brakes front and rear and hopefully finish up today timing belt, waterpump, serpentine belt with tensioner and idler for both timing and accessories drive.
I have found that the only part of the entire job is getting the waterpump off /new on, not much space between engine and fender, timing mark on crankshaft gear ? I'm going to do the timing belt now and looking for timing mark before I done waterpump, I feel sure that I have the timing mark set, I don't feel positive about it. I have done many timing belts and timing chains working as master tech.and then service manager with a very large GM distributor for past 20 year's and have never run across what seems to be very poorly marked timing positioning for R&R of timing belt on a vehicle that has a interference engine with set times that belt must be replaced. I suppose it helps Volvo keep service dept.in the black.
I got work I have to take care of, everyone have a great day.
One thing more, Volvo electronic system is another part I don't really follow And I hold degree in electronic control systems from UT. And I love my Volvo still....that makes no sense either? Lol.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

Before you take off the timing belt, use some paint (or even nail polish etc) to make your own marks both on the cams and the crank. I just started to do the timing belt on my 850 and got a big smile when I found paint marks left over from the last time the belt was done! If you decide to do cam seals, same thing - make your own marks. the electronics are not overly complex - but are modular and have communications links so fault finding may span more than one system. Each CPU can register OBD2 faults in the main ECU and generic readers generally only scan for powertrain ("P codes") errors. Considering the distance to your dealer, investing in a VIDA/DICE may be a good option for you (easy find on eBay). This would allow you to also scan for chassis codes including resetting the airbag fault code which may or may not have been triggered by the dead battery. My local indy once told me a story of how they traced an airbag fault to wiring chewed up by mice :-)

Old 05-18-2016, 12:33 PM

The vida/dice on ebay etc are knockoffs, so if you go that route simply find the cheapest one from the most reputable looking seller.
You need a reputable seller who will work with you if your vida disc doesn't work (the discs are also pirated discs obviously).

The thing is though, for all the hassle of getting a knock off dice with a pirated vida you still can't do soft ware updates for the volvo unless you pay a subscription to vida. Assuming the dice and Vida even work. You may get a few from the seller before it all works if ever.

I'd get the icarsoft i906 scanner if I was you, not only will you get a legit product, but the i906 was designed specifically for volvos and saab.
They also sell a more universal scanner, but id get the i906 for volvo's it's specifically designed to work like a dice vida minus your software updates (which you have to subscribe to vida online to get them anyways $115 usd for 3/days).

Long story short. icarsoft i906 $100usd ($160cad) does what you need. It will pull all codes, when it pulls a code it tells you what it is. Also has diagnostic tips.
It will clear your airbag srs light if there's no issue.
And it reads live data too. You lose software updates but it's cheaper to pay the dealer to update your software once and a while.

Eventually you won't have any software updates to get anyways.

Last edited by DonVanhugenstein; 05-18-2016 at 12:38 PM.