Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

oh great-rpm's at random times bounce up and down

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 04:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oh great-rpm's at random times bounce up and down

It's extermely hard to explain, but today I was driving on my way home and I noticed that between 2 and 3k rpm's the engine is unable to stay at a constant RPM. It has me really worried because at this revv range the car jumps from 2,500rpm's to 3000 rpm's, going back and fourth in about 2 second intervals. It's random when it does it because sometimes it doesn't even happen at all. It's also done it at other rpm's but I can't remember where. It seems at the lower around town rpm bands it's having this issue. I didn't have this issue until today, and I suspect it might be the software upgrade that was done. It also seems like it isn't an issue until the car shifts into 3rd or 4th gear. In first and 2nd the car doesn't have this problem. Aside from the rpm's, the car really jerks back and fourth when this happens, and this freaked me out because this happened on the freeway.

As I said, it seems as if I increase the rpm past this area where it seems to "hiccup" almost it isn't a problem. But 2-3k rpm's is where my car is 90 percent of the time around town.

This really concerns me, because like I said, today I had the gas at a constand speed and next thing I know it's revving up, and then down, and up and down...almost like I'm revving it while I'm driving except I'm not. What in the heck is causing this?!?!?

Will my problems ever end? Once I get one thing fixed on Helga, she gets mad at me and pulls something else. At least some good news was she passed smog today with flying colors.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:19 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: oh great-rpm's at random times bounce up and down

Either the throttle body is going bad.
Or the ABS module it messing with it.
The computers use the ABS module to help read the speeds of the engine and transmission. If the signal is missing the computer might be trying to decide which gear it should be in.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:20 PM

Sounds like what I had. Read my post "automatic transmission loosing power", could very well be the mass airflow meter.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:31 AM

I seem to have that happen to me every now and then; but my neighbor said that's your transmission changing gears. I've heard from some other people the software might be trying to keep the throttle closed abit as a safety issue (which is why I can't install the electric supercharger I got because they can't guarantee when my foot is down to the ground that that trully is full throttle or maybe just 2/3 throttle).

At least some good news was she passed smog today with flying colors.
That's good to hear-at least you're fully registered for another year!

Old 02-27-2007, 01:35 AM

sometimes if I am using tip tronic w/ turbo, if i change the gear@ abt6000 rpms it give a extra jolt( its a smmooth shift) of energy to the next gear(2), and at about 60mph it will be at 5500rmps but itsometimes tempers down to where its suppose to be- sometimes i shift it to 3 right away..... that doesnt seem right, shudnt I be able to go to abt 80mph before i really need to shift?