Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Oil in cam pos. sensor ??

Old 09-18-2012, 04:22 PM
Default Oil in cam pos. sensor ??

99 s80 T6 110k.
i noticed a severe oil leak this morning, about 30 miles since the last oil change. im thinking my problem is the exhaust cam seal. but im not positive because i cant see exactly where the oil originates from.

Im not 100% sure about this but i don't think there is supposed to be oil in the cam position sensor cup. Is there?
how big of a job is it to do the seal?

Any help is great, thanks

Old 09-18-2012, 07:25 PM

After more looking i have come to the conclusion that the oil leak is the exhaust (rear) cam seal.
Couple questions, i haven't been able to find any information on this. has anybody replaced this seal before?
while im in there is there anything else i should replace? (besides the other seal)
Any thoughts on a performance cam? or would the ecu not manage it?

Old 09-19-2012, 06:40 AM

You are looking at alot of money any way you go. these repairs take time as well. The tools needed for the job are such as cam-locking tools, pulley removal tools, etc.. buying a repair manual as well as a manual on vehicle ignition timing would be highly recomended. that is 90% of the battle in my opinion. if you know how something works, all that is left is taking it apart and putting things directly in the same spot. you should replace the timing belt since this will be coming off to remove the cams (no use using an old belt with new cams) new gaskets will be needed like for the valve cover, cylinder head, etc.. with that said, there is alot of potential to get gobs of power from your car by modifying the top end while you work on it and replace the oil seals. keep in mind the K-pax volvo touring car uses the original block, just upgraded basically everything in it in order to achieve 400+ HP. with the head off, you could mill the head for more compression (not advisable for turbo models) get a thinner head gasket (more compresssion), polish the head (mabye squeeze a few hp out of that) then... the cams. reusing the cams are fine, but with removing the head, you need to recheck all valve clearances etc... unless you are a skilled mechanic, i'd leave this to professionals. new performance cams i have seen for the s80 but you will be spending at least $1k on them, then the other $400+ on a re-tune, which is HIGHLY recomended! your car will react poorly to new comp-controlled hydraulic cams without telling the computer what you just changed. with even the most mild tunes (for example SNABB's $440 orange tune) you will see amazing torque numbers, and the cams while not dramatically changing idle quality, will give greater mid range-high rpm HP numbers. if you have that cash {i wish i did} take it to a performance shop and drop the 2-3 grand for all of that stuff, or else if you are a competent DIYer, buy oem gaskets and belts and replace everything you remove. hope that helps!!

Old 09-22-2012, 07:00 PM

I replaced the seal. Easiest cam seal ive ever done, didnt even have to remove the cam... Thought about serious tuning, but its not worth it considering the trans. although it would be neat to have a 400+hp t6....... Sleeper