Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Programming a Key FOB

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 12:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Programming a Key FOB

Hey tech, I called the volvo shop in orlando you told me about, and they said they can program the alarm and key at 30 each including cutting it, the same as volvo for the remote, but 50 cheaper for the key.. they also can do the fog lamp software update for me for 30 which is again cheaper than tampa, just i have to pay the inevitable labour charges on each... thats fine though
I honestly still havent come to terms with how much labour costs here in the US, its staggering... back home dealers are expensive but small pvt mechanics are literally 1/10th the cost of the dealer..
Anyway, i gotta pay it if i want it...
Thanks for the help... i think we can coordinate the visit these volvo people after we do the work on my car so that the fogs will be up ASAP..
later,
Nicolas

Old 02-15-2008, 06:04 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Programming a Key FOB

Sounds pretty good their labor rate should be close to $100.00 and hour.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have 2 1999 s80 volvo's and both remote door openers stopped working within 1 month. i changed the batteries but no better. how do i get them to work?

Old 12-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Default Remotes don't work

i have 2 1999 s80 volvo's and both remote door openers stopped working within 1 month. i changed the batteries but no better. how do i get them to work?

Old 12-11-2010, 10:58 AM

Don't forget about aftermarket car autostarters... most of these will unlock the doors/trunk and start the car... They are relatively cheap and getting another remote key fob is a lot easier.

Greg
'99 S80 T6

Old 12-21-2010, 10:40 PM
Default Car FOB

I can't stomach the $375 they want for a new key and fob at the dealership.

I bought the used FOB on Ebay a year or two ago, before reading about the programming and coding on the packaging.

So, if I bought a used fob for my rig, take it apart and then buy a new A - laser key, programmed to my car with the VIN, will the local dealership be able to program the used FOB to the car too? Then I can put the new A key portion together with the used B - FOB and presto: have a new key fob, programmed to my car from a used and new piece?

/em keeping fingers crossed
http://www.fobkeyless.com/volvo-s60-...-key-unit.html

Last edited by orswitz; 04-22-2013 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Update
Old 02-12-2014, 09:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reviving this topic and see if anybody has update. I have only one key to my XC90 and I called the deal. They simply said used keys are not programmable and new key is $400 plus tax and new valet (no remote) key is $160 plus tax. I called the local locksmiths and none said they would be able to make such key except for the dealers.

Any cheaper alternative?

Old 02-12-2014, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by banyanleaf
Reviving this topic and see if anybody has update. I have only one key to my XC90 and I called the deal. They simply said used keys are not programmable and new key is $400 plus tax and new valet (no remote) key is $160 plus tax. I called the local locksmiths and none said they would be able to make such key except for the dealers.

Any cheaper alternative?
Used keys? A used key would be cut for a different car and wouldn't even fit in the ignition.

A used remote cannot be programmed without the code on the original packaging. I didn't read this whole thread, but that was in the first few posts.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:35 PM

You can get a blank key and cut a copy, which is not difficult. The issue is with the remote/security chip. I searched on the internet and some said it is possible for the dealer to pull the information using VIN. Then if the the FCC part number is the same with the original key remote, then the dealer can reprogram the remote. Again, I don't claim to be any expert, and the information on the internet can be wrong.

As a dealer tech, your expertise is worth a lot more than the internet sources that may not be verifiable. Could you explain what is the "code on the original packaging"? Is it retrievable through dealer's database?

Originally Posted by ES6T
Used keys? A used key would be cut for a different car and wouldn't even fit in the ignition.

A used remote cannot be programmed without the code on the original packaging. I didn't read this whole thread, but that was in the first few posts.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

The key and the remote are two different things. A used key, meaning actually used for another vehicle previously, would not work because it is already cut for another car. Sourcing a blank key and having it cut and programmed, which is what it sounds like you are talking about, is an option. But in reality, the key is not that expensive from the dealer so you probably won't save much.

If the key is blank, you will need an existing cut key for the dealer to use to copy the key. Then they can program it. There are a few dealers that can cut the blank key using the key code, which is looked up with the VIN.

The remote is totally different. The packaging has a 16 digit and 8 digit code on it. This is unique to the remote. These are needed to program the remote. I have never tried to program a used remote supplied with these codes because I have never had someone keep a record of these numbers. Without these numbers, a used remote is worthless. There is no way for me to look it up by VIN.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:04 PM

Then what are the people doing on the auction site when they purchased used key remotes? Just for the shell? Then buying new shells are cheaper.

Another question. As to the key, my understanding is that even you can copy a key, without the security chip, you won't be able to turn on the ignition, for security reason. The main key is a foldable key with remote, so the security chip is built-in. Am I correct?

To get a valet key, you still need the dealer to provide the security chip with the key, called transponder key, right?

Even though $160 from dealer for a valet key is a lot cheaper than the $400 price tag of getting a replacement main key/remote combo, if there is absolute no alternative, I guess I will eat the bullet and get a valet key, because losing the one and only key is nightmare.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

They are buying them and bringing them to the dealer and being told the same thing.

I once had a customer insist I could program it. He wanted to see the programming process. So I explained he would need to buy the programming software and pay the labor even when it wouldn't work, or buy a new remote. I told him it was not going to work. He insisted and authorized the charges. I brought him back to the shop and showed him the process. He ended up buying a new remote.

No, that is not entirely correct. Yes, you can cut a blank key and it won't start the car. The key is the transponder- valet key or not.

Buy a valet key, you need to have it cut and programmed. Buy a switch blade key for a Key Integrated Remote, you need to have it cut and programmed by a dealer. You can start the car with just the switchblade portion once programmed. But it won't attach to a keychain.

Old 04-18-2017, 01:30 PM

Hello, i looking too for programmer for volvo key transponder.
I read in russian forums some information that keys can be programed (only key) but not remote. In my country people just buy used parts from crashed-dismantled car, they buy the central rear-view mirror (inside that mirror is remote control receiver module) and all remote from same car (all must be from same car - back view mirror and remotes, and must to same years and model like your car). For car keys with chip-transponder it can be duplicated, but now i search for device programmer to copy and write info from transponders. My car is 2000 70II and i don't know what transponder inside key or pcf7935 or megamos id48 crypto... And real i think older volvo and all older cars keys can be cloned, because cars don't have no connection to internet in real time ant etc. How car see or its new or old key? I say older cars - i thing they keys had inside low information like - car vin code, key id, password... But that all is static, not changes and etc... In new cars i think it can be changing like - key id 01 and password 00007 and every time when you start and stop car the key id still 01 but password changes... And if you copy that in new key and start car with new key like 01id and password 00007 and after stop engine password changes in to 00045 (in car and in key transponder) then other time you can't start car with old key, because your car requires 00045 password from key but old key had 00007 password... And then you need connect to car pc and pair new key to like 02 or 03id and they had other password sequence. But old keys i think can be copied-cloned and not need connect to car ant other magic... because car don't see and don't know or its old or its new key... But if you need to connect to car pc you need dealer or official vida dice. Because you need connection to official volvo server, then all information from your car computer (encoded) send to server then in server are decoded, then you write new key code and id or something (i don't know what required to write) but after this you pair key to your car and in end of this process all info are encoded and send to your car computer... Why i doing this? I just want learn, and in my country dealer to pair key want 300eur, to pair remote - 450~500eur. Some electricians can pair key for 80eur (then that is posible!!!) but nothing can pair remote only dealer or official vida dice (and they cost - 3 days 150-200eur~?)
Sorry for long post, and sorry for my bad english :/

Old 06-25-2019, 06:36 AM
Default remote programing

how i can program remote for s80 1999

Old 02-27-2021, 10:11 PM

Ok, I know old thread but why start new.
I to have been trying to get replacement fobs and keys awhile back I got pair blanks with chips and remotes vendor says codes are in the package for remotes and there is a paper and indeed although I'm unsure they could be right codes I went to dealer didn't even want to look at them.
After reading more of the post here I think I have a better understanding Correct me if I'm wrong.
keys and security chip dealer can program and cut for the car without any special numbers required. now if I want to use the fob the codes are needed for them.
I'm getting ready to just pay the dealer for 1 I'm on last key and it's very old don't want to get caught with a dead key. towing and dealer plus downtime worth lots more than 600 buck dealer wants which I would have to pay anyway.

Old 02-28-2021, 08:50 AM
Received 585 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by alexo1us
awhile back I got pair blanks with chips

remotes vendor says codes are in the package for remotes and there is a paper and indeed although I'm unsure they could be right codes I went to dealer didn't even want to look at them

ready to just pay the dealer for 1 I'm on last key and it's very old don't want to get caught with a dead key. 600 buck dealer
To "program" a key - Using a Vida subscription you purchase a "download" that tells the car to accept the signal from the chip in the new key.

To "program" a remote - Using a Vida subscription you purchase a "download" that tells the car to accept the signal from the remote with the pin assigned to it.

I've never seen a "dead" key, badly worn and damaged ones but as long as the transponder is there - it worked. But I would never own a car with only one key - I did that once, and of course the key was lost - not fun.

$600 for just a key? Or for both a key and a remote? If you have the switchblade key/remote combo, you can purchase just a Valet key and have it programmed for less than 1/2 the $600. You can also use the triangular remote.

I would purchase the key from Volvo - it is ordered by VIN and the good thing is if it does not work (turn in the door or ignition lock easily) - you don't have to pay for it.

Last edited by hoonk; 02-28-2021 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by hoonk
To "program" a key - Using a Vida subscription you purchase a "download" that tells the car to accept the signal from the chip in the new key.

To "program" a remote - Using a Vida subscription you purchase a "download" that tells the car to accept the signal from the remote with the pin assigned to it.

I've never seen a "dead" key, badly worn and damaged ones but as long as the transponder is there - it worked. But I would never own a car with only one key - I did that once, and of course the key was lost - not fun.

$600 for just a key? Or for both a key and a remote? If you have the switchblade key/remote combo, you can purchase just a Valet key and have it programmed for less than 1/2 the $600. You can also use the triangular remote.

I would purchase the key from Volvo - it is ordered by VIN and the good thing is if it does not work (turn in the door or ignition lock easily) - you don't have to pay for it.
Thanks for the info on these keys I can assume that if a dealer wanted they could set them up. or use VDASH
info update I found a locksmith to do them he does the same way as dealer 300.00 for both. Wed morning

Last edited by alexo1us; 03-01-2021 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:26 AM

hi i have a 1999 v70r it came with no remote central locking fob---& i was wondering if i could use one of my sons spare fobs & get it re programmed
he has a 2002 v70--[ would i need a locksmith ? ] any help would be good thx

Old 03-16-2021, 09:41 AM
Received 585 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by bobajob
hi i have a 1999 v70r it came with no remote central locking fob---& i was wondering if i could use one of my sons spare fobs & get it re programmed
he has a 2002 v70--[ would i need a locksmith ? ] any help would be good thx
To "program" a remote to your car you need the code that is only printed on the bag/package the remote comes in. If you have that code you would use your dice unit and a VIDA subscription to order a download. That download tells the CEM in your car to accept that signal from the remote with the pin code you transfer from the bag.

So, no unless you have the packaging the extra remote came in, a DICE unit, and a VIDA subscription.

Old 03-16-2021, 09:49 AM

ok thx

Quick Reply: Programming a Key FOB