Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Question about motor mount and dash speaker

  #1  
Old 08-22-2010, 07:22 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 19
Cool Question about motor mount and dash speaker

Alright just have a few questions if someone that knows about them would please be so kind to answer.

1) Where is the best place to buy a new upper motor mount, the one on the top right side of the engine when you are standing in front of it, also a DIY link would be nice if you have one also, but if not at least where to get a good cheap one!


2) When I bought my S80 a bit ago there was no speaker in the middle dash area, just and empty space for one and also the grill cover over it. I mean you can't tell it is not there, but I am just wondering if it is for the radio or what else is it used for when you do have one plugged in? I am just wondering so I know if I would like to replace it or if it's just not worth for me to bother with.

Thanks in advance!
- Mike Brooks
 
  #2  
Old 08-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 368
Default

Originally Posted by mikebrooks View Post
1) Where is the best place to buy a new upper motor mount, the one on the top right side of the engine when you are standing in front of it, also a DIY link would be nice if you have one also, but if not at least where to get a good cheap one!
Lots of places, you can try FCP Groton (http://www.fcpgroton.com/) or VovloWholesaleParts.com (http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=213784)

Originally Posted by mikebrooks View Post
2) When I bought my S80 a bit ago there was no speaker in the middle dash area, just and empty space for one and also the grill cover over it. I mean you can't tell it is not there, but I am just wondering if it is for the radio or what else is it used for when you do have one plugged in? I am just wondering so I know if I would like to replace it or if it's just not worth for me to bother with.
The spot under the grill in the center of the dash can be for two things. One is the combo Navigation screen and subwoofer or just the subwoofer. However you cannot just install a subwoofer as you will need the appropriate radio and plus a software upgrade for it to work. Many Volvos have nothing under the grill, however Volvo decided to keep the dash the same with just a different grill regardless of if the car was equipped with the previously two options. So in the end, it's not about replacing it, its about the car not being equipped. You could install the stuff to do so and get the software update but it will cost a quite a bit ($500+ would be my guess).
 
  #3  
Old 08-24-2010, 11:57 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 19
Default

Originally Posted by jlewisinsyr View Post
Lots of places, you can try FCP Groton (http://www.fcpgroton.com/) or VovloWholesaleParts.com (http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=213784)



The spot under the grill in the center of the dash can be for two things. One is the combo Navigation screen and subwoofer or just the subwoofer. However you cannot just install a subwoofer as you will need the appropriate radio and plus a software upgrade for it to work. Many Volvos have nothing under the grill, however Volvo decided to keep the dash the same with just a different grill regardless of if the car was equipped with the previously two options. So in the end, it's not about replacing it, its about the car not being equipped. You could install the stuff to do so and get the software update but it will cost a quite a bit ($500+ would be my guess).


Thank you for the info that is exactly what I was looking for! Anyways if I decide to put the right size sub in there I will most likely just get a small 100-150 watt amp to power it that way, nice to know it is a sub, wasn't sure if it was a sub or a mid/hi combo speaker. If you read this again I have one more question, if I put the right size sub in there and don't have it to loud will it be alright in the sense of not causing harm to the dash and/or rattle anything loose inside the dash?

Thanks again,
Mike Brooks
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Bikeartatx
Volvo C70
1
04-20-2014 08:29 PM
billp
Volvo 260, 760 & 960
1
06-11-2013 11:13 AM
tuner4life
Volvo C70
2
04-27-2012 06:41 PM
go2sharks
Volvo S80
26
01-22-2011 09:11 PM
GaryBrad
Volvo 240, 740 & 940
1
06-26-2005 03:46 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about motor mount and dash speaker


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.