Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Rehoming 2002 S80

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2022, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rehoming 2002 S80

Firstly, thanks to Forum members for providing me with great information as I dealt with various head-scratchers as an S80 owner. I rarely (something to do with accumulating years) haul numbers of people around the State of New Mexico. After a recent perfect trip-weather and all, with several friends, I returned home solo and lost almost all forward propulsion when a light turned green. It took 5000 rpm to get enough propulsion to limp home. The warning message "transmission service urgent" clicked on just as I arrived home.
Reverse worked fine, since I use "firehouse" parking in my garage, I was able to back in to my spot. It seems that all 3 forward bands (mine has the GM turbo-hydramatic "E" model transmission) had failed at once. Local resources for automatic transmission overhau don't look promising, Since everything else works great, and this model is the first year Volvo finished fortifying the fuel system for today's ethanol, as well as the only one with 17 inch aluminum wheels and low profile tires (which effectively lowers rpm at cruise) and unbuggy electronics. Just last year volvo replaced the steering wheel airbag per a recall.
A previous owner evidently had no garage, so the green paint bears the typical Southwest signature fade. I toyed with the idea of have the car "vinyled"--much better than paint.
I'm looking for a Volvo enthusiast who could rehome my Volvo and restore its effortless forward propulsion to spec. It would have to be trailered from borderland New Mexico to wherever. Step forward and we'll deal! Cheers to all

2002 Volvo S80

Old 11-01-2022, 09:04 AM
Received 88 Likes on 86 Posts

Is that a dryer vent on the hood?

Old 11-01-2022, 08:58 PM

Hello Dingus 1, I put a dryer vent on the hood of most cars I've had since AC was available, because underhood temperature after a hot day get toxic on rubber hoses, belts and other things. Sending all the heat from the engine under the car which you're trying to cool seemed to me to be a stupid idea. Cheers

Old 11-02-2022, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

did you scan for the transmission fault codes? Check fluid level / color? These are electronically controlled transmission so there are external components to be tested including the PNP switch, TCU, connector wiring etc

Old 11-02-2022, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by mt6127
did you scan for the transmission fault codes? Check fluid level / color? These are electronically controlled transmission so there are external components to be tested including the PNP switch, TCU, connector wiring etc
Hello, the symptoms of the transmission problem were so clear to the various sources I consulted that I did not do a scan. The fluid is at the appropriate level and is the correct color. I have reports on analysis of transmission and engine oil over time. The vehicle was originally a corporate lease car and subsequently has only been driven on paved roads, so the usual reason for wiring connector problems, its life in the relatively dry southwest seems to make connection corrosion unlikely. Cheers