Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

S80 Cold Air Intake with Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation S80 Cold Air Intake with Pics

Ever since I've owned my S80 I've felt it has been lacking something. It's very comfortable, has great audio (added one 12'' type R), great brakes (before had stock now i have brembo pads and rotors). But i finally realized what it was missing ( a nice sounding engine). So oneo f the ways to make your engine sound nice and run more efficently is through the use of a Cold air intake. Scouring the forums for a DIY tutorial for the S80 led me know where until i read Techs advice to design one myself. SO here it is, I am open to any criticism/ feed back

Attached Thumbnails S80 Cold Air  Intake with Pics-img_0878s-%5B%5D.jpg   S80 Cold Air  Intake with Pics-img_0882-%5B%5D.jpg   S80 Cold Air  Intake with Pics-img_0879-%5B%5D.jpg   S80 Cold Air  Intake with Pics-img_0881c-%5B%5D.jpg   S80 Cold Air  Intake with Pics-img_0880-%5B%5D.jpg  

Old 02-25-2009, 01:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nice pics, just thought i would point out that on this car, OEM pads and rotors IS brembo...

well, could also be zimmermann, but equal in quality and price to brembo..

otherwise, this looks like a good solution, and i feel the same way you do about the car and its various attributes..
to me the only thing it is missing as well, is that the suspension is just TOO soft for my driving style.. maybe some anti roll bars would help..

Last edited by nicolaselias; 02-25-2009 at 01:09 PM. Reason: addition
Old 02-25-2009, 02:25 PM

Hey thanks for letting me know when i had the replaced the mechanic made it look like oems were not brembo! I will upload a video on youtube of how it sounds. I agree the suspension is toooo soft , how can i adjust it? Also i am goign to add the CAI makes the car feel just a
little quicker more torquey and has a growl of an Italian car so for $43 it was well worth it.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i wouldnt call that a cai, its a wai, or ram, its sucking how air from inside the engine bay more that from the plastic pipe you left that goes down into the bumper...

if you remove the plastic tubing and find a 90 elbow then you may be able to place the filter closer to the grill, but in that case it will be flushed with the hot air coming from the rad..

optimum solution would be the fender wall, but on these cars from what i see its kinda hard to accomplish without a properly designed pipe..

enjoy the roars

Old 02-25-2009, 07:34 PM

Looks good to me!

Old 02-25-2009, 07:46 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is a Short ram intake. Looks great thought!
If you want it to be a CAI, then you will have to build up a wall to the hood to prevent the fan from blowing hot air towards it. And you can also bring in more if you feed a hose from the lower bumper to the box.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:33 PM

Thanks for letting me know the terminology guys So i guess will have to settle on this short ram for a while because there's snow on the ground here 6 months out of the year. I think that the tube i left on gets air from the grille so its as close to the CAI as i can get without worrying about getting water in my engine right? I was also wondering i have read that my MAF sensor will becoem more dirtier? How can i avoid that? also I was wondering that I noticed an increase in MPG on the highway and in the city and i also noticed an increase in consumption if i drive it to redline (35 mph in 1st approx) i mean if i compared the mpg's at that rpm before and after the intake it consumes more fuel with the intake?

I have another idea its more of a styling idea. Do you think its possible to use a titanium blue speedo form an S60 and 2004+ S80 and replace my current speedo ?

Last edited by isa91; 02-25-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Got Boost?

Those filters do a pretty good job "filtering" the crap so the MAF should be pretty clean. Mine was really clean after six months of driving with the CAI. I have driven through rain with my 3inch induction hose from the lower bumper, and have not had a water problem yet. You will just have to go slow through deep puddles. Plus your filter's postion is too high to get water.

As far as the speedo... I think you are refering to an S60/V70 R speedo. I know people have swapped speedos, but someone will have to confirm on that.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:36 AM

if you don't mind me asking, what are the benefits of an install like this apart from the sound. Realistically how much torque/hp can be gained from a cold air intake? Also, what effect will it have on the fuel economy of the car?
Also, is there a particular intake brand that you recommend?

Old 02-28-2009, 03:38 PM
Got Boost?

Cold air is denser so more power/torque. Now the gains can very depending on year make model/ engine size....etc. average gains for a volvo is ~2-10hp for a CAI. Some have seen slight improvements is MPGs. The only way to take full advantage of something like a CAI, is to get an upgraded exhaust to match air flow. You let more air in, you need to let more gases out. And the best way to enjoy a CAI or an Exhaust, is with a ECU upgrade or Chip. Now if you look at some intake, which let hot air in, that will actually slightly decrease power, but slightly increase MPG. It really all depends on how it is put together.

K&N is a good brand. Spectre has good filters, and are only $20! AEM sells dry flow filters, for those in fear of over oiling a oil filter. You can probably get the same effect by just buying a drop-in replacement filter, but then you still have restriction of the Factory Setups.

Making you own is the only true way to get the effect you desire. If it is made out of high heat treated cardboard or cutting a hole through the fender and sticking the filter outside the engine bay. IT is up to you.

Good luck.

Last edited by TIPSP; 02-28-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:09 AM

I found a S60/ V70R speedo for $100 and i was wondering how do i install it?

Last edited by isa91; 03-01-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:46 PM

I am considering an intake of some kind for both my s80 and my accord and I wanted some more info on what I will be better off with.. I suspect installing a CAI will be much trouble in the s80 but it shouldnt be too bad in the accord...
Anyway, what I wanted to ask was, does it make sense doing one of the predone K + N or Injen kits which range from about $150 for a ram or $250 for a CAI..
Comparatively, what cost and quality will I be talking about if I put one together myself?

In terms of performance or noise gain, what will be the difference between the two kinds of intake setups?

thanks

Old 03-11-2009, 09:23 PM

oh yea, and has anyone heard any reviews of the AEM v2 system? I know its one of the most expensive but supoosedly produces the best results.

How much of an improvement did you see in your s80 once you put the intake on?

thanks

Old 03-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Got Boost?

The power gains are too small to notice a CAI over a SR setup, so the extra $100 is not justified IMO. For the honda, you could rock a pre-built setup, which will look pretty cool, if not better then a built. The S80 shouldn't be that difficult to do. unless there is no room? I believe some of those prebuilt setups move the filter outside the engine bay to make it a CAI.

It would be cheaper to make you own. Mine was only $50 (filter and two pipes). On a NA motor, assuming your S80 is NA and the honda is NA, You will hear the intake a little more, but it is most noticable when you release the throttle.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:45 PM

thanks for the info, both are NA.. I expect the power gain to be much more significant with the volvo because the accord is just a 2.0l 4 banger, but in terms of stock noise, the accord blows most normal cars out of the way.. I think this was before accords went completely soft because the stock everything is more edgy than the new accords, louder, harder and much more aggressive throttle response i have found..
Anyway, i will only supposedly gain about 6hp on the accord without changing headers and exhaust, so that wont be about the power, more about the noise.

So we come to that issue.. noise.. which will be a more favourable noise, a DIY setup or a premade?
Can't I just get something nice like an AEM filter and then add make my own piping etc? What determines the noise really, the piping or the filter?

Thanks

Old 03-12-2009, 12:14 AM
Got Boost?

The filter determinds the "noise"
You could get any filter and rock out any piping and call it a day. The longer the pipes and the more "enclosed" the filter is, the less noise.

My dad has a Custom CAI on his 540i. It is actually hard to hear the intake, mostly because of the exhaust, but I can still hear when he gets off the throttle.

That is just a piece of double-walled cardboard with High Heat spraypaint (it is still waiting for a rubber trim piece), some filter that came with the car, and a piece of pvc piping that also came with the car.

If you do make your own, try molding cardboard to fit, and shield the heat from the engine.

All in all, you might not hear it with all the other Sh*t going on, but throttle response will slightly improve.

Good Luck!

Old 03-27-2009, 06:24 PM

Hi... do any of you know if there are any premade Short Ram Intakes for S80's? I have seen 1 or 2 for the s40 and I think even the s60 but nothing for the 80...

I have decided on a SRI because looking at the hp and torque figures for this car, the power comes on rather high in the rev range, so i wanted to see if I can extract a little bit lower down...
In terms of brand, ideally I would have wanted to go with AEM or one of the brands i'm familiar with but that doesnt seem like an option.

I know I can buy whatever filter I want, but I dont know where I will get piping to match the size of this car in particular so any tips will be appreciated.

Thanks all..

Old 03-27-2009, 07:23 PM

I have decided that I will probably go with an AEM filter if doing a custom job just because I dont really want to be concerned with oiling it.. The only problem then is which one to choose! They have about 25 or so in varying sizes..
http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=93
pretty extensive list there.. So I have to choose what size filter and correspondingly what size piping. Are there any size limitations for what can fit in the s80 because my normal assumption would be bigger is better, so long as I can isolate it from the engine heat.
For the piping is there anywhere you would recommend me to source it? Also, how will I know what will fit onto the volvo tubing..

I know its a lot of questions but I really want to figure this one out..
thanks

Old 03-27-2009, 09:42 PM
Got Boost?

Calipers or tape measure are needed to measure.

You need to measure the OD (outside diameter) of the MAF where the hoses connect to it.
Then you need to find a Filter that matches that measurement (Ex: 3" MAF = 3" Filter, and yes bigger would be better).
Next, you need to source some piping from Autozone (Ex: 3" Spectre).
Then you need a Coupler to connect the piping the MAF (Ex: 3" coupler, and the filter should already comes with something to connect to the piping).
Then you just put it together so it fits in the engine bay, and your done.

Pic to help.....

Old 03-31-2009, 03:43 AM

Thanks for the info TIPSP.. I will be making a trip down to advance soon, so I will see what they have in the way of filters and piping etc.
I know its not cheap, but I'm seriously considering the Apexi filter, just because I heard it stays very quiet at idle and under 3000rpm, but once you go above that it roars... ideal solution to me. Also is one of the best at actually filtering.
There is also the Fujita filter, which is a very similar design to the apexi, just about 35% cheaper.

I just purchased an AEM SRI kit for my accord, so I can judge the AEM filter based on that for the volvo, but I suspect I will want whatever is quietest at idle.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what kind of performance increase I can expect on the s80? I'm not asking for much, but I know Volvo has a tendency to over engineer things, and I think the airbox is so exception.

Thanks again, i'll keep you posted as it progresses.

Quick Reply: S80 Cold Air Intake with Pics