Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

S80 Cold Air Intake with Pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 01:01 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never used those filters....

On the NA, Slightly better throttle response and sholud be ~5hp gain.....All depends on the motors condition.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

THAT WAS SCARY.. After taking the measurments of the MAF, the engine started throwing codes and check engine! lasted a few minutes but then it eventually got back to normal..

Anyway, down to business..
I been wondering about something...

I took all the measurements just now,
It looks like the internal diameter of the MAF is 3". So at least I know what im working with there..

Next issue is, the two wires which connect onto the airbox, if I knew the names I would say, but I honestly don't.. what happens with those once you remove the airbox and put your own setup in? How and where do you manage to fit those on?

I went to Advance Auto (who i much prefer to autozone) and they had the AEM filter in question, pretty big one (3.0" Dryflow Air Filter Short Neck 5" Element) I know I can also get the AEM available in a 9" element.. and using the bigger is better theory that should be more of a choice. looks good, but they have no coupling or piping apparently.. Looks like I may have to find some parts online..

I'm more leaning towards a filter with the Apexi/Fujita style design though, just cause I want something quiet at lower rpm's, but very loud at high.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-Fuj...3A1|240%3A1318

Sorry for the essay guys, but i'm just trying to make sense of this

I

Last edited by nicolaselias; 03-31-2009 at 10:09 PM. Reason: more info
Old 04-06-2009, 12:19 AM
Got Boost?

I have never used the filter so not sure....But if you like it, then use it.

Not sure about the 2 wires...could be intake temp wires.

Wait for others

Old 04-06-2009, 05:23 AM

I can get some pictures of it soon.. just waiting for the end of the semester to do all these projects on the car, intake, DIY ATF drain, replace upper engine mount with the one from IPD..
I figure I could get some nice discounts on the piping and coupling down at pepboys with their $10 off of $30 deal. I'll check it out in more detail as soon as I get the time.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:11 PM

Hi, sorry to take so long to bring it back up but I been so busy...
It turns out the two wires are the two vaccum hoses connected to the airbox, I assume the ones that control the hot air gate? How much would it affect the car if I plugged these and didnt factor it as part of the intake..
Also, how hard would it be to place nipples on the piping for the intake to cater for these? Will I have to drill + weld to get it to work?
Im sure people have faced this problem before when trying to put an intake on an s80!

Old 05-17-2009, 11:25 PM
Got Boost?

NOt sure what is will do if you leave them out.....

I for got what kind of tubing you were getting??? If it is plastic, you can use an epoxy to glue a plastic nipple, after you cut....

Metal would require drilling and welding.....

Wait for others to comment, tech gets back tomorrow.....He can probably help more.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:43 AM

thanks for the reply... I have looked around and I found one person who left it out of their setup and one who managed to drill and weld.. I cant do the welding myself and personally know nowhere who will do it for me..

I guess my plan is similar to the pics at the start of this thread except I want to have the filter lower down in the airbox, and by extension, more shielded from heat... I will probably also build up the airbox walls to protect from heat soak..
Havent quite figured out all the logistics as yet, but I really would like the engine to be a bit louder and sound less restrained...

Old 06-03-2009, 10:06 PM

If you kind people dont mind me asking... how hard would it be to make the short ram project into a cold air intake project on the s80..
I'm thinking about the logistics and I cant figure out where to run piping to or from the fender, either for the filter or to get some fresh cold air into the airbox..
I was also trying to figure out how to get this to work with the vaccum hoses.. I saw that spectre sells a small coupler of sorts that allows you to connect vaccum hoses onto it, but i dont think they have a size for the MAF... internal diameter of the maf is 3" so im assuming outside diameter is 3.5"
Another option is to buy some metal piping to connect filter to maf and drill the piping to fit the vaccum hoses..
It seems this will be harder than I first planned, I suspect a CAI might be too much work to justify it.. I guess SRI will be the way to go... right now I don't care that much about the increased power if any.. once it doesnt decrease, I will be appreciative of the extra noise.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stock setup already is a cold air intake. Most of these modifications change that into a warm air intake and actually decrease performance.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:50 PM

well as I made clear, I plan on building up a heat shield around the filter to protect it from heat soak..
Ideally, if I could make the car louder with the stock airbox I would, but that isnt a possibility so I guess I have to make the most of an iffy situation..

While I cannot guarantee an increase in power, I am really doubtful that I will experience an actual decrease, especially while moving with the same cold air flowing about..

Depending on cost, I will consider a before and after dyno for the benefit of all the forum members..

Old 06-19-2009, 09:47 AM

I will be following your progress as I plan to put a CAI later this summer.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Got Boost?

The gains aren't that noticable. average is ~2-15hp.
You are gaining slightly better throttle response from the shorter setup.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:54 PM

if you want your car to be louder at high rpm's chop off the rear muffler, thats what i did, it idles as before but when you get on it, noticeably louder.... if i have time i will try to get a video up for you

Old 06-20-2009, 04:51 AM

well, I have temporarily shelved the intake project.. not because of financial reasons but right now the logistics just are not right...
I measured everything and weighed it up.. im fairly limited by that airbox location, and I expect heat soak to be an issue...
Once I find a good fabricator in tampa to do me a nice fiberglass heat shield then I will probably go ahead.. Shield has to be easily removable tho for when/if I ever decide to sell the car..
I got scared about heat soak because my dad (who currently has my accord) is complaining about losing power on slow hillclimbs .. i will test it when I get the car back but I suspect heat soak is showing up there when the filter is easily 3ft from the engine, the volvo its right next to it and the engine runs hotter..

Old 07-07-2010, 03:19 PM

Where did you choose to design yours?

Old 12-27-2010, 08:50 PM

Hello I am new to the forum. I have a 2008 S80 3.2. My wife has a BMW 335 that is more enticing to drive but too small for me.

I like my car's confort and size but want to make it go faster and more fun to drive. What can I do to get the HP up without to much cash and not ruin my car warranty. The car has only 27,000 miles and I may keep it for several years. I was thinking Chip, Air intake and Exhaust. Or should I turn in the car and buy a clean used V8 model from 2008-2009? The car is a lease that is almost ending, I have to decide to buy out or sell and buy another?

Old 12-27-2010, 08:52 PM

My s80 needs tire as well? Michelin?

Old 10-21-2012, 10:35 PM

I like how that look and would like to know what parts you got where you got them and about how much did it cost you