Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

S80 electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 02:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S80 electrical issues

I am a college student and recently purchased a 99 s80. I was driving about a week ago and my signal suddenly stopped working. It was working in the beginning of the trip and suddenly, I turned the handle and it caught but there was no clicking sound, I checked the dash and the arrow was not lighting up. I got out of the car and they signals were not working on either side. After I parked the car, I realized the passenger side window would not roll up. I parked the car and figured it was just a fuse and that I could replace it in the morning. The next day I went out to replace the fuse and the battery was dead. I am hopeful that my original assumption was right and that it was just a bad fuse or a few fuses and that I left a light on or something. However, as I'm pretty broke, I wanted to get some more information from people with more experience before I get ripped off by a local mechanic. Thank you in advance.
Jim

Old 01-28-2012, 02:52 AM

I should also add that when I bought the car, the stereo was removed. I reinstalled the stereo but there was barely any audible sound coming from the speakers even on max volume. So I again removed it and just assumed the amplifier or the speakers were no good. Didn't really matter to me because I figrured a car without a stereo was less likely to get broken into haha. However, if this info helps to diagnose my problem, I figured I would add it. Thanks again.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:03 AM

I have a 99 S80 T6 also, and when i bought my car the battery was dead but boosted off. I have experienced just about all the problems you are having. I replaced the battery and did the lock and unlock with the key in the door 5 times and i got my windows and sunroof working again. My radio is still dead and i havent found a solution to that yet but its going to the dealer next week and when i find out something I'll let you know. Also are you getting random messages in the DIM? (screen to the left of your gauges that tell you that you have messages). If so some will go away automatically and things will start working again and others you will have to have removed by the dealer.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by spacedogb
I have a 99 S80 T6 also, and when i bought my car the battery was dead but boosted off. I have experienced just about all the problems you are having. I replaced the battery and did the lock and unlock with the key in the door 5 times and i got my windows and sunroof working again. My radio is still dead and i havent found a solution to that yet but its going to the dealer next week and when i find out something I'll let you know. Also are you getting random messages in the DIM? (screen to the left of your gauges that tell you that you have messages). If so some will go away automatically and things will start working again and others you will have to have removed by the dealer.
I really appreciate that thank you. The only message I have is the SRS airbag service light because when the guy who sold me the car pulled out the radio he messed up something with the wires and set that sensor off (had the airbags checked though and theyre fine) All of these problems literally happened all at once while I was at a red light. Aside from that I have had no serious issues with the car. Thank you for the reply. Hopefully you figure out your issues as well.
Jim

Old 01-28-2012, 06:00 AM

The SRS light I was told will cost $150 at the dealer to have turned off. To be honest im a broke college student so i think im gonna ride for a while with it on and just use my ipod cause i cant afford much more lol.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by spacedogb
The SRS light I was told will cost $150 at the dealer to have turned off. To be honest im a broke college student so i think im gonna ride for a while with it on and just use my ipod cause i cant afford much more lol.
Haha yeah they told me the same thing. Unbelievable. I use my ipod too haha. If you put it in the cupholder it makes it a little louder

Old 01-28-2012, 05:31 PM

Funny thing, I jump started my car today and the windows all started to work. A minute later, the turn signals started to work. But my sunroof would not. I googled the problem and somebody said to lock the door using the key two times. I did and it fixed the problem. What a crazy vehicle.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by team2jnd
What a crazy vehicle.

Yeah they are "unique" to say the least...if i say anymore i will start cussing. This is my first Volvo and will definately be the last. I thought i had issues with my Mercedes....naw Nothing compared to this Volvo!!!!