Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

S80 needs ETM or MAF? $868 at dealer - lifetime warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S80 needs ETM or MAF? $868 at dealer - lifetime warranty

I have a 2001 S80 2.9. with 220,000 miles. I know this subject has been beaten to death, but I'm looking for a quick solution (yeah right!) with my given circumstances. I got the timing belt/water pump idler pulleys and serpentine belt done two weeks ago at a shop (220k miles with the same timing belt, yikes). A few days ago I noticed really rough idling when I was pulling into my driveway after a 30 minute drive home from work. Idle was spuratic and jerky, jumping from 400-1200rpms with no smoothness. I drove it to work and back the next day hoping it was random and would go away, although I researched it that evening. Following day the drive to and from resulted in the cruise control not working on the highway, and an overly sensitive jerky response from the engine when I would let off the accelerator at highway speeds. The next morning (yesterday) I cleaned the throttle body with a wire brush and a minimal amount of throttle body cleaner, sprayed CFC MAF cleaner in the mass air flow sensor chamber, put everything back together, and the car ran fantastic for an hour, until I came out of the gas station with a car wash code, and it was idling worse than ever. I drove home with the same jerky accelerator, no cruise, and rough/spuratic idle. The car seemed to get better and was idling fine when I got home, so I unplugged my MAF sensor and the car immediately died. I don't know what that means, but maybe you do. I am supposed to take it to the dealer Tuesday, they're loaning me a car and they quoted $868.00 for a new ETM with software and lifetime warranty.

Here's my question, could it be anything besides the ETM? Maybe the MAF? I may pickup up a MAF sensor today at 3 from O'Reilly auto parts that they are sending to my store. However I heard that aftermarket MAF sensors are junk, and based on what my car has been doing, I don't know if I want to spend (or waste) more money on a non-returnable part if I don't need it. Is the car supposed to stall when the MAF is unplugged and could it be something else besides the ETM if MAF is good? Sorry to keep beating a dead horse.

(I have an ETM with a white sticker, so I've read those are the original ones, not the software upgraded "recalls".

Last edited by midimykeys; 08-01-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:34 PM

Update: I bought a remanufactured Oem bosch MAF sensor today. Hooked everything back up, and the car started but idled very rough, a first for cold starts. I immediately unplugged the MAF sensor and the vehicle idled normally, unlike the day before when it died after unplugging. I put the old MAF sensor back in the car and started it. It didn't seem to take but a few seconds of stumbling and stuttering before the idle returned to normal. So now I'm really stumped. It's probably an erratic, intermittent ETM problem, but it was weird how the car acted with a new part. Annny experrrts? (canyon-like echo)

Last edited by midimykeys; 08-01-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Probably a throttle. But without codes, all anyone can do is guess.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:24 AM

I only have an egine service urgent in the message center, and it goes away sometimes. Will the dealer be able to retrieve the codes from previous message center notifications? The check engine light has never come on. I'm wondering if it could be CEM related, as the ABS, traction control, and alarm system servicing messages have been on for over two years.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

There will be plenty of codes stored. The dealer can pull them as well as perform a throttle test to confirm whether the potentiometers are working correctly.

I doubt this is a CEM issue. More likely you have multiple problems in the car.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the reply ES6T. I took the car to the dealer, and they said it was the ETM. They gave me a loaner 2015 V60 T5 with 1,100 miles on it for a few days (I'm picking my car up tomorrow) and did the ETM repair for $868 plus tax. By chance, I received a mailer with 20% off any service at the dealership which will bring it down to $694. I called Volvo beforehand, and was able to obtain a 30% off parts mail-in rebate, so who knows what Volvo will knock off. Anyway, dealership said new campaign for throttle body replacement after all drama related to ETM, issuing lifetime warranty replacement now. (105 campaign)