Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

S80 T6 Max Psi on Stock Internals?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S80 T6 Max Psi on Stock Internals?

My turbos recently blew and I'm looking for a replacement, just wondering what's the max PSI that my engine can hold with stock internals safely?

Old 04-08-2009, 02:13 PM

That's a good question. I'd like to know that answer too...

My car routinely sees from 17-21lbs of boost, thanks to my IPD tune.
But, that is with the stock turbos - different turbos have different boost maps - so, I think that the question on the table isn't how much total boost, but rather, how much boost at various rpm points can the stock internals handle. I'd also like to know if the stock units from either the 850s or the S60s would fit. I think that they are bigger than our stock turbos, and relatively cheap to come by, since those guys throw them away whenever they upgrade to something bigger

Unfortunately, most people don't go thru the trouble of modifying S80s, so you may need to become a ground breaking, S80 pioneer in order to learn the answer to your question.

What size turbos are you looking to run?

Old 04-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Default Before increasing horse power&torque...

My advice would be to find a way to 'harden' ther GM 4T65E GT transmission, otherwise you will just blow it away if you try to stuff more hp/torque thru it....
No one seems to have any answers as to whether or not any transmission shops can do this.... If someone has found a shop that can 'harden' them up, let the rest of us know.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

It is pretty much the same motor as the 850/S70 so I would say about 15 PSI or so.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by dcarlson12
My advice would be to find a way to 'harden' ther GM 4T65E GT transmission, otherwise you will just blow it away if you try to stuff more hp/torque thru it....
No one seems to have any answers as to whether or not any transmission shops can do this.... If someone has found a shop that can 'harden' them up, let the rest of us know.
You know, I've heard from people that the transmission is the weak link ever since I first purchased my S80 two years ago. Yet, whenever I ask those same people follow-up questions in order to learn specifically what part of the transmision is failing, no one knows. It would seem to me that if the transmission are failing as frequently as everyone says, then by now somebody should have paid to have their trans rebuilt (not replaced), and learned exactly which internal part(s) failed.

Through various forums, I have learned of a couple of shops who can "harden" our transmissions. These shops modify FWD Buicks and Pontiacs that have the 4T65E trans all of the time - and some of those are 10-12 second 1/4 mile cars.
One of the shops is http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com. I considered having them modify my transmission last fall, but I decided against it at that time because then I still wouldn't know exactly which part(s) is/are the weakest link in this transmission.

But the good news is that I have decided that this is the year that I will break my transmission! (I'm gonna take one for the team) When it finally does die, I will post the autopsy results, as well as who rebuilt it, exactly what they replaced and how well the rebuild is working out for me.

I want to get to the bottom of this once and for all...

edit: Sorry to threadjack and turn your boost related thread into a transmission related thread

Last edited by S8ET6; 04-08-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:14 AM

Thanks for all the information guys, I guess as of right now I'll just find some stock S80 turbos and just tune up the boost a bit just to stay on the safe side since the car is my daily driver.