Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

S80 tranny fluid and shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question S80 tranny fluid and shocks

Hello I need to try and get some clear answers from fellow Volvo owners. I have a 2002 S80 non-turbo with 152,000 on it. I want to keep this car going so maintenance is important to me. I am trying to find out who has changed their tranny fluid and did they have problems. I have read it takes 7.5 liter of fluid and it is costly. The Volvo fluid is out of control cost wise so others have been using the Mobil 3309 and having good results. Is this Ok to use because Volvo’s is finicky for sure with fluids? Second am I thinking it is about time to change the shocks another costly fix. From what I can see the Volvo comes stock with Sachs shocks so I a told (please confirm). I have looked at Koni and Bilstiens also so can anyone recommends a good shock and should I even change them?

PS I did save a lot of money on oxygen sensors though if anyone needs to know. We all know how costly the sensors are but I purchased the Bosch 15733 model with wire junction box and they worked just fine. I paid $52 ea online instead of $239 a piece for the Volvo models. It stink that we have 4 different plug ends on the sensors and you have to pay so much for a $1.00 piece of plastic.
Thx
Roger B

Old 04-26-2011, 04:10 PM

This car doesn't use Mobil 3309 its uses 7 quarts of Dexron III or VI ATF. that car has high milleage i would take that in consideration because if the tranny never been serviced and you put new oil with oil being old IT MIGHT DAMAGE the tranny eventually. its the color and the smell of the tranny looks good leave it like that. I recommend leaving like that until it start giving problems About the shocks Sachs and bilstein are fine. here are some of the things you need to get it done on how to change trans oil

Tools and supplies you will need:

Jack and jackstands.
12mm socket and ratchet.
10mm socket and ratchet.
New filter.
7 quarts of Dexron III or VI ATF.
Drain pan.
Disc brake cleaner.
Paper towels or rags.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The car is definitely GM Dexron Fluid and NOT 3309

However, I disagree with the above poster about whether to use Dexron III or VI..
Personally, if you can I would buy the Castrol Dexron VI... It is a semi-synthetic fluid and supposedly has much better properties than the old dex III

That said, the transmission really holds more like 12 qt's and not 7 or 8.. Thats just what you will get from dropping the pan, but for a proper change of the fluid you should read my write up that I did before..
Let me see if I can link it for you..

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...estions-31422/

This might be of some use to you concerning the shocks..
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=1&t=31263

From what I have read, the Bilstein HD shocks are ridiculously hard but everyone seems to love the Bilstein TC
.. The Sachs being OEM mean they would be soft and suited to cruising and the Koni will be a bit better in the sporty side of things..

Concerning the shocks

Old 04-26-2011, 09:32 PM

Totally agree with Nicolaselias on doing the tranny flush. I followed the mathews volvo site instructions and it was very easy to drop the pan and replace 7 quarts of transmision fluid. Go with Dexron VI as it has better wear and fluid breakdown resistance properties over the older Dexron III ATF. The Autozone 3.8L Chevy Impala filter fit my 2000 S80 perfectly. After you drain the old fluid and replace the filter, use a big plier or large nips to pry the edge of the filter away from the black plastic and then pull apart the filter material to look inside the filter. This will tell you whether your transmission has lost significant pieces of metal or just fine normal wear particles. My local tranny shop says new fluid is much better than old brown fluid that probably has overheated. Just wish I had changed my fluid every 50K miles instead of 136K after getting a service transmission light...so much for life of the car fluid.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:36 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The whole "life of car" thing is honestly one of my biggest complaints about these vehicles... Considering that these trannys are not exactly the best in the world, why would they do something as crazy as recommending that...

In my case, if I knew that most of my trans pan bolts and holes were stripped I would have NEVER dropped the pan.. I would have simply done the hose method for all 15 qt's..

Also, I think that EVERY pan in every car should have some sort of drain bolt.. Why would they do it any other way?

Old 04-29-2011, 09:44 PM

"Life of the car" really means "Life of Warranty".

Planned obsolescence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia