Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

should i buy my dads s80??

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i buy my dads s80??

first off ive been looking around for many cars (cant narrow it down) i was set on a wrx, but i cannot find one that hasnt been worked/beat on in my price range...

my father is selling his car soon, its a 2000 s80 2.9... ~50,000mi, the dark blue, cold weather package, moonroof, upgraded wheels...

he babies the thing, and its always been serviced, so i know its been taken care of... but my driving style differs some from his, i have somewhat of a heavy foot... his tranny does shudder occasionally, and had the software thing done to no avail... they said the next step would be to take it apart and replace something/rebuild it, and they could not guarantee it would fix it... i believe its the GM tranny, but not sure... is this something that is just an annoying feel, but doesnt really need to be fixed? i think the car has done it for several years now...

something has also happened to the abs, it may have just been a warning that was reset, ill ask him later on what that deal was...

and the remotes are finicky... the dealer replaced the batteries, but that apparently didnt help too much... any idea what could cause this?

anyways, i could get it for under blue book, but am wondering if i would be biting off more than i can chew... i dont want to walk into a whole new set of problems, but i like the car, and with the money i save i will be able to afford a harley!

any suggestions?

Old 09-02-2005, 09:59 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: should i buy my dads s80??

Do you really want a Non-turbo car?
Aiming for a WRX and settling for a Non-turbo S80 is that really what you want?

The trans is a GM trans and might need the Valve body.If that doesn't fix it then it will need a new trans.

The remotes are very funny with these cars.The signal can be interupted by many things.

The ABS is most likely the module is bad.

Old 09-02-2005, 10:38 PM

i could go either way, i mean i wasnt looking at regular imprezas, just wrx's... im such an idiot when it comes to searching for a car, because there are so many things i want... sure id love a quick car like the wrx, but a good deal is more important to me... and in perspective, i drive an automatic 4 banger accord - not exactly a monster...

but to me this is a different class, sure id like a t6, but he didnt get the turbo... price is a factor as well... sure i could get a wrx for ~20k, but im not looking to spend that much... another big factor is that ill be able to get myself a bike, which couldnt happen if i spent more... im not sure exactly when hes gettin arrid of it, so if i do find something that catches my eye first, like a wrx, ill hop on it... otherwise im just wondering if this sounds like a reliable purchase... i have always liked his car... we actually did the european delivery on it and drove it about 20k across the pond...

im just worried that if i do take his s80, does the tranny shudder mean that it will fail eventually, or is it just something to annoy you and make you uncomfortable while driving? whenever i drove it, it never shuddered... im not sure if thats because i tend to accelerate faster than he does...

sorry for the rant, and thanks for the help.

Old 09-03-2005, 12:32 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The trans will eventually go out but it could be 100,000 miles from now or 1,000 miles from now. It is hard to say.
I would flush the trans and pray for the best.

Check out this forum for used one for sale.Maybe there is one near you.
http://www.nasioc.com/
That is a subaru forum.

Old 09-04-2005, 03:24 AM

cool, thanks for the advice...

ill let you know on my decision!

Old 09-05-2005, 11:26 PM

No. The 2.9 is nothing compared to the T6. Buy a T6 if you can, there is a significant difference. If not, go for another car. From what I hear, the 2.9 is not too powerful. []

Old 09-06-2005, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go back and buy a 98 S70 T5 or an R. Chances you will find one cheaper than the S80 and have even more money to spend on a bike. Personally I just like the looks of the 850 or S70 better than the S80, and they are way more reliable and faster.