Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Some thoughts on the new S80 for 2007

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 01:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some thoughts on the new S80 for 2007

I test drove the new S80 for 2007 (we got a coupon in the mail for a test drive and free emergency prep kit so hey why not). After a reasonable spin here are my thoughts:

The Good:
1) The new key is nice-it is signal activation as well; but on top of it the key itself is a rectangle that inserts into the driver side-so if you thought the old key was hard to forge this one def blows any car thief out the water.

2) The interior has been redesigned a bit. It's got a nice suede feel but you can still smell nice new leather.

3) The new key has the ability to tell you if someone is in the car as you approach-even better way to be warned ahead of time if someone is in your car and give you more options to "walk away" and call for help (I don't mind the old way where the inside lights up but sometimes if someone sees you saw them that might not be cool either). With the new option they might not even know you know.

4) The rearview mirror now displays in LED which direction you are facing at all time. As the salesperson said "at least I know if I face East long enough I'll hit something!".

5) Additional seat airbags for the torso and lower body area. The earlier S80's had a single seat airbag to protect your torso area. These 2 are designed for different speeds/size/etc to inflate as your lower body can take more impact then your upper torso.

6) Slightly more trunk space. Also the look has been slightly adjusted but still the same familiar S80 look.

7) The factory radio headset now diusplays the name of the radio station, the artist, and the song name. The factory sound system is slightly improved as well. It will also display the exact temperature control for the driver and passenger which is kinda cool also.

8) Option for satellite radio (the top of the car has a fin to hold the antenna).

The Bad:

1) I don't like the abandoning of the Turbo model. The salesperson told me some people who liked the horsepower didn't like the noise (gee I wonder why they chose it then) and also because most people shopping for Volvos don't worry about the turbo as much as people who may be shopping for your typical high powered Japan import cars). Thus why the new S80 comes as either a V6 or a V8.

2) This goes hand in hand with #1: I don't like the abandoning of the I6 engine either. The salesperson told me although the I6 offered slightly better lower speed accelerations say 20mph-40mphand whatnot; with a V6 you get more options at the higher speeds say 60+ mph. Ipersonally enjoyed the feel of the I6(I could sense a difference with the V6 atall speeds so this was noticeable to me at least).

3) While I am not likely to modify the headunit on my S80; with the new S80 the new headunit has so many features built into it anyone cosniering an aftermarket unit replacement is in a world of hurt. There are so many things that have been done to that now that you pretty much are stuck with it (same with the speakers although you can still add a subwoofer if you want as the trunk is very roomy).

Otherwise the car isn't too bad. I personally would rather still get an S80 Turbo (which I am considering) but anyone who loves the S80 as is and wants more luxury this car def can compete with the BMW's,Mercedes-Benzs, and Lexus's of the world.Not too bad for the pride of Sweden.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:33 PM

so no ones reported back to you on this matter in almost 10 years? I have the V8 version. With a cold air intake, and custom cat back exhaust. tinted windows, black rims. I've only ever owned Volvo's and this one is by far the best I've owned. Now if I could just find someone to build me a manifold so I can supercharge it. Maybe someone will reply to this in 9 years?

Old 05-06-2016, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by VolvoSuperSeries8
so no ones reported back to you on this matter in almost 10 years? I have the V8 version. With a cold air intake, and custom cat back exhaust. tinted windows, black rims. I've only ever owned Volvo's and this one is by far the best I've owned. Now if I could just find someone to build me a manifold so I can supercharge it. Maybe someone will reply to this in 9 years?
Lol I don't think people who are able to fabricate manifolds would care to even look here. Maybe you should search for someone?

Old 05-06-2016, 01:01 PM

well, I do know two people who do it for a living, or have done it in the past. Problem is, being race season, the one guy is booooked and the other guy has a family and another job. "doesn't think he has the time for it" and that being said, I'm still not sure what SC to put on it. I've heard speculation about the Eaton M90 being a possible candidate.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:15 PM

well, I do know two people who do it for a living, or have done it in the past. Problem is, being race season, the one guy is booooked and the other guy has a family and another job. "doesn't think he has the time for it" and that being said, I'm still not sure what SC to put on it. I've heard speculation about the Eaton M90 being a possible candidate.
It would be pretty awesome to hear a volvo sound like a Shelby mustang with a V8 and big super charger.

Good luck on your journey for forced induction.
I had to reply initially so you weren't lonely for 9yrs lol. Cya

Old 05-06-2016, 01:29 PM

Haha well thanks for it too. would hate to be coming back here once a week for nine years just to check this thread lol. I'll try to upload a sound bit or something. It sounds so... soooooo angry with the new exhaust.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:27 PM

OK, just for grins, I'll chime in...
I got at 2016 S80 with the turbo/intercooled/blower on the 2L T5 which produces 242 HP (IIRC).

I've driven turbo cars since the Saab 900 in 1980. they have come a loooog way. My other swed-special is a 2004 Saab 9-5...5 sp manual with turbo, 120 K miles and still going strong. (a big difference from my 1980 900, that had turbos die at 27K, 69K and then I transplanted a v6 24 valve normally aspirated engine (I figured Saab had a bit more climbing to do on the learning curve with turbos..lol)

So, in comparison, the turbo in the s80 is sweet! smooth, and has quite a bit of punch when you floor it! The 8 speed auto trans probably has a bit to do with it as well. Every so often, when passing on the I-state, if find myself up around 80 MPH and I figure, Oh, why not....then hitting 100 I figure I better slow down before I happen on the police. I am impressed with the acceleration with the auto trans. I just hope that all the added improvements to get more HP don't over stress the basic mechanics. At this point, I'll trust that the Swedish engineers did their homework to ensure a long life engine. Too bad I could not get a 6-speed manual trans. I talked with a friend in Stockholm who said they are available there, but checking with a number of US dealers, was told manuals are not being imported. too bad. I considered getting European delivery but figured once the svc dept in the US saw the manual trans it would be the first one t hey ever saw, and I didn't want them to 'go to school' on my vehicle.

Maybe you should have waited 7 years? lol

Old 05-09-2016, 01:53 AM

My S80 is a 1999 T6, She's a bit of a piece right now but what can you expect for $800.

Either way when it warms up its not to bad. I can't give it a fair and proper review because I bought it knowing it's in rough shape. Not driving it now since it needs an alternator and I'm trying to rebuild it.

By the way anyone know a kit?

Old 05-09-2016, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by [COLOR=Navy
I just hope that all the added improvements to get more HP don't over stress the basic mechanics. At this point, I'll trust that the Swedish engineers did their homework to ensure a long life engine[/COLOR].
I am gonna have some issues in this area as well, After all the hard work is done and the supercharger is properly built and attached. I'm probably gonna have to swap or if possible strengthen my trans, cause the Aisin 6 in the V8 S80 is only rated to 400nm or 324.6 torque and the car already has 325... Do I just push it till it breaks then fix it? cause I don't know nearly enough to do a trans swap. EDIT: not certain on those numbers to be honest, just what I read on volvospeed.com

Last edited by VolvoSuperSeries8; 05-09-2016 at 08:45 AM. Reason: info fix
Old 05-09-2016, 09:46 AM

I am gonna have some issues in this area as well, After all the hard work is done and the supercharger is properly built and attached. I'm probably gonna have to swap or if possible strengthen my trans, cause the Aisin 6 in the V8 S80 is only rated to 400nm or 324.6 torque and the car already has 325... Do I just push it till it breaks then fix it? cause I don't know nearly enough to do a trans swap. EDIT: not certain on those numbers to be honest, just what I read on volvospeed.com
Just get a better clutch and may as well put a lightweight flywheel while it's open. Gear metal is strong, it's the clutch that slips under to much power.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:01 AM

I actually never considered that. Cheaper and simpler than replacing the whole thing. I'm gonna look into that. Anyone have any recommendations for a good clutch or flywheel for this purpose? Like I said, my trans knowledge is **** poor. At best. I'm not even sure what id search for? Edit: Aisin 6 transverse clutch swap.. maybe?

Last edited by VolvoSuperSeries8; 05-09-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:27 AM

I actually never considered that. Cheaper and simpler than replacing the whole thing. I'm gonna look into that. Anyone have any recommendations for a good clutch or flywheel for this purpose? Like I said, my trans knowledge is **** poor. At best. I'm not even sure what id search for? Edit: Aisin 6 transverse clutch swap.. maybe?
A new/used trans would still probably require a stronger clutch anyways still. And either way your taking the trans off and putting it back on.
Rear wheel drives and all wheel drives are easier than front wheel drives to pull.
Transmission Jacks are less than $200.

As for clutches I've never put anything besides stock so I don't have any brand preferences or experience with any brands. Just OEM for me.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:38 AM

Well my welder has a trans jack so that saves me a few bucks. Maybe if I get in touch with polestar again they will have some insight on the ordeal. (although judging on how "helpful" they were last time I'm doubting it) But it couldn't hurt to try I suppose.