Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Timing Belt Failure--What to Do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt Failure--What to Do?

Hello, friends.

My S80 is out of commission right now with a failed timing belt tensioner. It happened while we were doing about 50 mph. Heard a faint noise, but nothing loud or scary. Motor cut out, and I rolled it to the side of the road immediately. I could not restart the motor. Towed to a dealer in Traverse City, Michigan--I had to leave it there when I returned home to Chicago. Dealer said it was the timing belt tensioner. Service guy confirmed what I already feared--that since this was an interference-type motor, there could be more extensive damage to engine. However, he could not determine whether there was damage until replacing timing belt system (about $525) because they have to be able to run the engine to check it out.

The car is a 2001 with 90k miles. So basically, I am taking a gamble if I have then fix the timing belt--$525, plus the cost of getting back to Traverse city, about 300 miles away. Or, it could need $3-4k additional work on the motor, which is close to what the car is worth. If that's the case I'd just dump the car and be $525 out-of-pocket.

Any thoughts on this? What are the chances there is further damage to the motor? Should I take the gamble and have the timing belt fixed?

Any help is appreciated.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:10 AM

don't waste your money, u need a new motor.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:10 PM

Most likely there's more damage to the motor then just the tensioner, they want you to give the go ahead to replace tensioner, so it'll be apart and THEN tell you,,oh by the way you need a few lifters, and possible a piston. Since its already apart we can do it for 2-3k. So, if its a 2nd car you could tow it home and do it yourself, cost around 300-500 depending on how much damage is done. Or get a new motor, if you do go for a new motor, order a timing belt kit from FTP and install it while motor is out of car.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:13 PM
Default No dice.

Thanks, FASTER.

Yeah, I knew it was 99.9 percent likely there was going to be damage to the valve train or worse, based on info here and three mechanics I called.

It turns out the service department at the Volvo dealer up there was pretty cool. They found an old tensioner in a parts bin and went ahead and got it going so they could do a compression test. Guess what? No compression.

I have given a thought to towing it home and sorting it out myself, but I just don't have the time to tear into the engine and do something that extensive. I still have my truck to get around. Unfortunately, my S.O. has grown accustomed to the heated, powered, leather seats in the S80.

Anyone in Northern Michigan want a sweet deal on an S80? Runs great--on a steep hill, in neutral.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:00 PM

you can find private volvo mechanic at this email in chicago area he is volvo mechanic send email to volvochicago@live.com im sure he can help you .he has all volvo diagnostic scanner for volvo all you need for volvo he got it .also comes to your home if you like .