Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

transmission failing

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission failing

I have a 99 S80 and in and out of second gear the car shutters. It almost feels like you're going over the rumble strips on the side of the interstate. It really only does it when I am accelerating harder than normal, like getting on the interstate. I asked the dealer about it and he said every one of those he has seen, the transmission has gone out. Im pretty sure that what im feeling is the transmission slipping. Anyone know about how much longer I have before the transmission goes out completely and stops pulling? I've been trying to drive it easily so I dont put too much strain on it. Thanks.

Old 08-20-2006, 10:07 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: transmission failing

Have you had any Software upgrades done lately?

Old 08-20-2006, 10:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If this is of any help, when is the last time you had the transmission fluid exchanged.?

I know if the wrong fluid is put in a car, any car, it can result in shuddering. Or if the fluid is old and contaminated. Ususally the shudder occurs on low rpm going from 3rd to OD, but could occur anytime the torque converter opens and closes.

Check the owners manual for the correct fluid. Yours may be Dextron III. If so using Amsoil ATF synthetic may help you. There is a product called Auto RX which is the correct way to clean the engine of sludge and oxidation products. the website is http://www.auto-rx.net/index.html I think.
They have a transmission ARX that does a slow clean as well. It's not snake oil. Most stuff is, but not this stuff. Read the testimonials. Very credible product.

If the trans is still operating you really have nothing to lose but some trans fluid and the cost of the Trans RX which is about 25 dollars and your time.
a blub from their website is:
Auto-Rx® Transmission Cleaner is your solution.
Auto-Rx® Transmission Cleaner works as you drive. Contamination residue and build-up are liquefied and gradually removed by the transmission filter, cleaning the internal mechanism of your transmission . Click here for simple steps that will have Auto-Rx® Transmission Cleaner working for you in no time!

Hope that helps you out.

Old 08-20-2006, 11:53 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

FredMc these cars have many problems with Trans Shudder.
95% of the time it is a Software issue.
The other 5% it is a problem in the transmission.

There is about 7 different software upgrades out there for transmission shudder.

It varies between gears for the software.

Old 08-21-2006, 12:13 AM

I havent had any upgrades done lately. I'm really hoping it is a software issue so I dont have to worry about paying 4000 for a new transmission. Ill take it to the dealer as soon as possible and have the software upgrades done. And I guess if that doesnt help Ill try changing the fluid or add some cleaner. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 08-25-2006, 10:40 AM

i have a 99 s80 that had the same trouble,,, if the engine is not running like it should,, it can seem like the tranny is either shuddering, or slipping at higher rpm's .....
mine has experienced both problems,,, and always because of engine issues ..... i'm sure volvo has sold many tranny rebuilds that didn't need it..... hope this helps....

Old 08-06-2007, 04:41 PM

Hello Tech ! My tranny shudders during acceleration (after 2nd gear) I called the authorized dealership and gave vin# and was told soft ware update was not done, because there was no recall.Is that true?Should i schedule an appointment,to have it done? Dealer said if it accepts the soft ware it will cost $160.00 if not around $90.00 Also no faults found on TCM ,just brake pedal position sensor during mechanics scan test.