Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Transmission Fluid Check & Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid Check & Replacement

I have a 2008 Volvo S80.

I know that more & more vehicles have what is called "lifetime" transmission fluild. And in many cases there is no way to drain the transmission (in a traditional sense)...and replace the fluid. In some cases there is no dipstick to check transmission fluid level.

Be that as it may...I think I have a trasmission fluid leak. The leak is not power steering fluid...engine coolant...brake fluid...engine oil...or windshield wiper fluid (since I'm able to check the fluid levels of all of these...and all are good). Plus the appearance, smell, and feel of the leaking fluid is none of these.

If it is a transmisison fluid leak...obviously the best option is to find the leak & fix it. But the leak is not so serious that it needs to be taken to the Volvo dealer...and end up being a 4-digit repair bill. It's kind of a slow leak (can see spots building up on ther driveway).

So the question is...if the leaking fluid is trasmission fluid...and if the trasmission on a 2008 S80 is supposed to be something a DIY mechanic is not supposed to be able to do any maintenance on...what are my options?

For the short term...I would like to be able to add transmisison fluid as necessary (if it gets low). But without a dipstick...it's kind of hard to check & fill to the proper level...and if it is possible to add transmission fluid...I'm not 100% sure what tranny fluid to use (not sure if it uses Dextron of some sort...or some other special Swedish tranny fluid). Lol

Thanks

Old 07-16-2019, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts
Old 07-16-2019, 08:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a great overview of the transmission fluid change by Volvosweden on Youtube. Check out his other DIY videos since P3 XC70 is mostly the same as the P3 S80.

Old 07-17-2019, 12:20 PM

Wow mt6127 and blindkarma...those are two really awesome & helpful posts!!!

After reading & watching everything...I have three questions:

1. What transmission do I have in my 2008 S80 3.2 front wheel drive only? I believe the link mt6127 provided mentions two different transmissions (4 speed tranny & 5/6 speed tranny).

2. Does anyone have a good source for replacement transmission fluid? Again the link mt6127 provided mentions 2 different transmission fluids (depending on tranny type)?

3. The You Tube video was really helpful. In it the person doing the fluid change (after all the new fluid has been added)...mentions at about the 10 minute & 13:45 minute marks in the video that you need some sot of DICE electronic device. At the 10 minute mark you use this to verify the tranny fluid temp so that the proper tranny fluid level can be set...and at the 13:45 minute mark...this DICE unit is used to reset the tranny fluid change counter. My question is...do we really need this DICE device?...since I'm guessing this is probably something most DIY mechanics don't have access to.

Thanks very much!!!

Old 07-18-2019, 08:20 AM

Your car is the 6-speed automatic. You should use only Volvo fluid. It is just easier that way. Tascaparts, FCPEuro, Volvopartswebstore, or IPDUSA are good suppliers for Volvo parts. Or go to your nearest Volvo dealer for parts.

VIDA (software) and DICE (tool) work together and are necessary to access the Volvo CEM, settings, and repair instructions. You need to use them with a windows laptop computer. You can purchase VIDA and DICE for $100-150. Make sure you get them from a reliable after market seller. In contrast, an OBDII reader is vague and does not read the proprietary Volvo codes or give you any instructions.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by blindkarma
Your car is the 6-speed automatic. You should use only Volvo fluid. It is just easier that way. Tascaparts, FCPEuro, Volvopartswebstore, or IPDUSA are good suppliers for Volvo parts. Or go to your nearest Volvo dealer for parts.
Awesome...thanks for identifying & confirming.

Originally Posted by blindkarma
VIDA (software) and DICE (tool) work together and are necessary to access the Volvo CEM, settings, and repair instructions. You need to use them with a windows laptop computer. You can purchase VIDA and DICE for $100-150. Make sure you get them from a reliable after market seller. In contrast, an OBDII reader is vague and does not read the proprietary Volvo codes or give you any instructions.
While $100-$150 is not too bad for both the software & the DICE...my main question was are these items truly NEEDED?

For example...if I drain 3 liters & add 3 liters...then the net result is the same amount of tranny fluid in the transmission.

Or if I:

- simply overfill slightly
- let the tranny temp warm up a bit
- remove the inner drain plug on the bottom
- let the excess tranny fluid drain out

...then the level tube built into the drain plug will insure the proper tranny fluid level.

According to the You Tube video...the main purposes of the VIDA software & DICE unit were to:

- More accurately indicate the tranny fluid temp.
- Allow the tranny fluid change counter to be reset.

To be honest:

- I'm not really that concerned about the tranny fluid change counter being reset.
- As far as the tranny fluid temp being super accurate (between 50-60°C) when determining the proper fluid level. I'm pretty positive that the expansion coefficient of transmission fluid isn't that significant that if the tranny fluid temp was slightly higher or lower than 50-60 °C...that this would result is a major difference in total tranny fluid volume.

For example...I'm betting that if the tranny fluid was actually 70°C (instead of 50-60°C)...the total volume of the tranny fluid would probably only increase by a very small amount (maybe no more than 25 ml). 25 ml = 0.85 ounce's...50 ml = 1.8 ounces (very small amounts).

Even at much higher temps...the volume of a fluid doesn't increase that much as temperature rises. Take water for example. 1 gallon of water at room temp (72°F) compared to the same 1 gallon of water being boiled in a pot at 212°F...will not be that much greater in total volume.

Of course I could be missing something...and if so please mention it.

Thanks again for the awesome help.

Last edited by pigoo3; 07-18-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:39 PM

Not sure. However you can usually trust Volvosweden if it is recommended. You can do whatever you want and skip VIDA altogether. But I’d hate to complete the job and get everything back together and find out the car only runs in limp mode or needs to be towed to the Volvo dealer for a reset.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:17 PM

Just do as you suggest here and you`ll be fine

Or if I:

- simply overfill slightly
- let the tranny temp warm up a bit
- remove the inner drain plug on the bottom
- let the excess tranny fluid drain out

...then the level tube built into the drain plug will insure the proper tranny fluid level.