Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Upper Engine Mount Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper Engine Mount Install Question

Hi, I just ordered an upper engine stabilizer mount (polyurethane bushing) for my 2002 S80. I read the install instructions but in the end it said tighten to 36 ft lbs. HOw would i go about doing that what would i need to use and how do i ensure 36 ft lbs?

Old 10-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Default RE: Upper Engine Mount Install Question

You need a torque wrench, which has an indicator on it to tell you how much torque you are applying to the bolt or nut. It should be available at any auto parts store or Sears.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_wrench

Old 10-03-2008, 02:02 PM

I see, than you very much! I was also wondering what options have for upgrading my audio system i know i don't want sub woofers but the cost of of upgrading all my speakers will be very high because i will need 2 amps?

Old 10-04-2008, 12:34 AM

Hello I have a 02 S80 T-6 and I work at circuit city in car audio

Do you have the HU-611 or the HU-801 radio? If you have the 611 your good, if you have the 801 its a pre-amp system and you have to do a complete rewire and bypass the factory amps (A BIG, BIG, BIG pain in the butt, not to mention expensive). If you do have the 611 (like me) your golden! Who ever told you needed 2 amps was just trying to get your money. Its a four channel system with 8 speakers. In your front doors the tweeter runs off the mid speaker below it... so just two channels in the front. The speakers in the back doors and on the back panel run off each other... so your left rear door and your left back panel speaker are running of one channel. You need ONE four channel amp, and four channel line out converter (that converts speaker wire into RCA's, you only need that if you wanna keep the factory deck which i recommend). An amp kit with rca's. You also need two harnesses to tap into the factory radio, the model numbers are MET 71-9221 and MET 70-9221. You can get them at Circuit city and I think Best buy but is a special order item so it should take a week to get in, and that should be it... I do have pictures of my installation if you would like to see, I mounted my amp's (one 4 channel and a mono for my sub) on the back of the rear seat. Let me know how it goes!

Old 10-04-2008, 01:35 AM

Mpower989, Excellent post mate, thats brilliant.

I've been on forums for many years and most of the time you get flamed a bit, the micky taken out of you, but you've come out with diagnostics, option's and solution's, even a complete noob could understand what you've said, but someone with some experience can also know what you mean and see you know what you're talking about.

This is one of the better forums I've been on (cudos to Tech, you spend way too much time helping us out mate, if you lived a little closed I'd buy you a beer ) and your post Mpower just adds to it.

Anyway, figured I'd spend 30 seconds saying thank you to people for helping each other out, doesn't happen often these days unfortunately.

Stu

Old 10-04-2008, 03:57 AM

Glad I could help! Good luck and let me know how it goes!
[align=right] [/align]

Old 10-05-2008, 11:22 AM

Thank you soooo much mpower im considering buying the Infinity Kappa Speakers with the tweeters, are those pretty good?

Old 10-05-2008, 12:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the infinity reference speakers which are the cheaper line to the kappas and they are amazing.. so the kappas can only be better..
take a sound test before you buy

Old 10-06-2008, 09:42 PM

It all come's down to personal preference and what you will be listening to... True the infiniti's are a very good speaker, they have a warm rich sound to them and decent range at a good price. I have infiniti referance in my old ford focus, and I loved them because i listen to alternative rock. Now I mainly listen to House/Dance music with kappa's in my s80 and I hate them! Infiniti speakers are not great at handling very high highs (which dance music has alot of). I plan to get rid of them and go with kicker's because they can handle very high highs and excelent mids. My low's are taken over by my sub so I never really care about the lows on any component speaker. But infiniti's are a good all around speaker so you should be fine... Also I hate to say it but stay away from alpine, they keep getting cheaper and cheaper with every new product release. They know people will pay for the name so they lower the quality and keep the same price. Anywho hope it all works out and let me know how it goes.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:57 PM

If you really want sound quality I have found Polk audio component systems to be top notch but you may be also talking some serious money there...

Old 10-27-2008, 07:50 PM

On the same topic,
Tech, remember how we installed the urethane bushing just about 5 months ago (I think it was)... well the bottom half of the bushing is being almost eaten away by the engine mount itself... I'm not sure if the nut needs tightening or if its just excess vibration due to other worn mounts/bushings..
I can try to post a picture soon, but the mount has been wearing down so badly that I have a fine heap of black urethane dust collected next to it...

Any take on why this would happen so quickly?
thanks

Old 10-27-2008, 08:23 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry no if you can post a pic.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:39 PM

ORIGINAL: nicolaselias

If you really want sound quality I have found Polk audio component systems to be top notch but you may be also talking some serious money there...

not to take over the thread again but if you REALLY want high end components and have a strong amp to push them I'd recommend Phoenix Gold Ti CompElite 6.5 separates. Google them and you can find an online dealer that people on an audio forum I help moderate have had nothing but great experiences purchasing from(no, i dont get any type of compensation for saying this). Anyway, sometimes, they can be found for $299 on sale, right now they are going for $399 for the set.

What makes them special? "The Titanium Elite set includes midranges and tweeters manufactured by Morel Israel..." 'nuff said.

systek

Old 10-29-2008, 06:08 PM

These are taken today... hope they help

Name:  ForVolvoforum001.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  112.1 KB

Name:  ForVolvoforum002.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  121.7 KB

Name:  ForVolvoforum003.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  113.6 KB

Sorry about the huge size but I wanted to make it clear...
As I said I changed to the urethane bushing in early may roughly 3500 miles ago.. I dont really expect it to be wearing down that quickly at all...

Old 10-29-2008, 08:34 PM

Definitely looks like the nut wasn't torqued enough. You can see on the metal mount where it appears to be sliding back and forth and consequently ramming the crap out of the urethane bushing. IMO

Old 10-29-2008, 10:36 PM

well i figured it wasn't on tight enough NOW, but im fairly sure that it was on tight enough when we first did it...
is it possible that wear on some other mount or bushing could have caused this to come loose? I didn't really notice this problem until fairly recently and im normally **** about noticing things like that... I have a pretty enthusiastic driving style with alot of high revs etc, so I subject it to a bit more vibration than most people would... but is there any way I could have caused the the nut to loosen?

looks like I need to tighten up and eventually replace this bushing again...

Old 12-29-2008, 11:14 PM

what i have in my s80 are some memphis audios and i have delt with alot of speakers and these ones blow everything out of the water but they are kind of pricey so whatever your preference.