Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Volvo S80 purchase - need advise.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo S80 purchase - need advise.

I have a chance to buy a 2001 S80 T6 for $5000. I have the car at home and I have a couple of days to figure out if I want it, I am trying to go over it best I can to figure out if it is worth the risk I keep reading about within car reviews and forums. I don't really mean risk, but it is well known that this is a very expensive car if things start to go wrong. The car has 80,000 miles on it. Here is what I have found so far:

I ran a carfax and the car has been maintained at a Volvo dealer for its whole life, and I mean whole life. Every 5-10,000 miles, it was in the dealer for what I can tell was maintenance related things, a few repairs here and there, but mostly service type things. Here is a link to the carfax that should work. I also noticed the Turbos were serviced.

http://www.carfax.com/viewEmailRepor...mp;language=EN

What I have found on the car is the following:

One of the O2 sensors has been replaced
Fresh Oil change
Timing belt at 75,000 miles
New upper motor mount
Newer shocks and struts
New Serpantine belt
Newer break pads and rotors at all four wheels
Brand new tires

What else should I look for?

Old 06-12-2008, 04:40 PM
Default RE: Volvo S80 purchase - need advise.

double post

Old 06-13-2008, 12:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems to my by looking at the car fax that the car has been taken care of. But If I were you the only way I would by that car is if the transmission has been replaced with a new one. Because the 99-01 S80's are known to have transsmision problems. Its a GM made transmission and a lot of people had there transmission failer includeing me, just exactly last year my transmission went bad on my 99 S80 at 114K miles and I had to pay $3500 plus tax to get it replace with a new one. So I would suggest that you do some research on this. If you want to buy a S80 I would suggest that you buy a 03 or 04 model because I heard that they made the transmissions a little better.

Good Luck

Old 06-13-2008, 08:37 PM

If you can take the car back and run run run It is a living nightmare

Old 06-14-2008, 04:22 PM

Can't believe the negativity associated with this paticular car. I'm just going to take the risk. I can't believe how solid the car is and how nice it rides. I have a 10 mile jaunt to work and that is all I need it for. I put about 6000 miles a year on a car. As long as it runs good and the AC works, I could care less if all the other stuff goes to crap.

For $5000, I think it is worth the risk. I can't ask for a new transmission for a five grand car, and I can't get an 03 or 04 because those are going for tripple this amount, or more. I was wondering what else to look for. The car seems to have been very well maintained. My neighbor looked at it yesterday and he could not believe it was an 01. He thought it was the last year of this model (05 or 06, I don't know).

Others have told me to run away, but they don't know what I am paying for it. I know it is definately a risk, but for 5 grand, I don't mind taking it. I was just wondering what else to look for. Thanks for the advise on the transmission. I know it has been serviced. I talked to the dealership that maintained the car and they are sending me all of the records they have associated with the vehicle. It will be interesting to see those.

I am also mechanically inclined, with all the tools and lifts, etc at my disposal if needed. Thank you all for looking, this is a sweet site and very helpful.

Aaron

Old 06-14-2008, 06:09 PM

ORIGINAL: CobraO

Can't believe the negativity associated with this paticular car. I'm just going to take the risk. I can't believe how solid the car is and how nice it rides. I have a 10 mile jaunt to work and that is all I need it for. I put about 6000 miles a year on a car. As long as it runs good and the AC works, I could care less if all the other stuff goes to crap.

For $5000, I think it is worth the risk. I can't ask for a new transmission for a five grand car, and I can't get an 03 or 04 because those are going for tripple this amount, or more. I was wondering what else to look for. The car seems to have been very well maintained. My neighbor looked at it yesterday and he could not believe it was an 01. He thought it was the last year of this model (05 or 06, I don't know).

Others have told me to run away, but they don't know what I am paying for it. I know it is definately a risk, but for 5 grand, I don't mind taking it. I was just wondering what else to look for. Thanks for the advise on the transmission. I know it has been serviced. I talked to the dealership that maintained the car and they are sending me all of the records they have associated with the vehicle. It will be interesting to see those.

I am also mechanically inclined, with all the tools and lifts, etc at my disposal if needed. Thank you all for looking, this is a sweet site and very helpful.

Aaron
I just picked up a 99 s80 t6 with 90k for 3500 from a friend who needed to get money for down payment on a house. Im also worried with all the fuss about this car . everyone says they all have so many problems and it worries me as i just paid a lot of money to fix my toyota mr2 turbo because a mechanic messed a job up. Cant be paying for repairs. already found out it needs a right side half shaft....... not too sure what im going to do fix and sell or fix and keep it really is a nice car

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x...4/SUNP0002.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x...4/SUNP0013.jpg

Old 06-22-2008, 08:52 PM

Hi,

I'm new to the forums also, just registered a few minutes ago ... I have been looking at the following car myself and now I am a little leary due to some of the posts I have seen. What do yall think?

2000 Volvo S80 T6 2.8 Twin Turbo In-line 6 Cylinder - $4500
-Tiptronic sports grip shifter
-Powerful Air Conditioning
-126,632 Miles
-Tan leather interior in excellent condition
-Twin Turbo
-2.8 In-line 6 cylinder sporty engine
-Rebuilt transmission by Mr. Transmission of Pensacola @ 118,000 miles in July 2007 (still under warranty)
-1 yr old Pioneer DEH-7800MP deck w/ XM subscription INCLUDED!
-Occasional intermittent electrical issues
-Engine Governed at 140 MPH
-Allow Wheels
-Dual climate zone temperature controls

I purchased this vehicle in February 2005. It has been a great ride, and I’ve taken very good care of it. Regular maintenance check ups, oil changes, and I have always filled it with premium octane gasoline. I simply want to sell this first-rate piece of machinery because I plan on purchasing a Harley Davidson instead.

.... I did ask about the timing belt and he said it had been replaced. I don't have a carfax account so I don't have any od that data, but was just curious as to yalls opinion.

Thanks,
Ted

Old 06-26-2008, 08:27 AM

I would say get it. It's a steal for those miles and only that much money. I bought a 2002 S80 with 138,000 miles for 5 g's and I don't regret it. Yeah the parts might be expensive but to ride in style you have to pay the price.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:02 AM

Look, I don't want to be negative, and it looks like your mind is made up (as was mine 18months ago), but RUN, run as fast as you can.

My 2000 S80 T6 is virtually disintegrating over the last 6 months. We are at $5k and counting, including the infamous trans rebuild. It had 54k on it when we bought it, and I paid $7500 18 months ago.. It had all records, had been dealer serviced, one owner, well maintained, blah, blah, blah.

I read all the same fear mongering crap about this car, and thought, as you have, that it couldn't all be true. IT IS TRUE.

Every bit of it. You have NO idea what you're getting into. Buy a Honda. Or an OLD Hyundai.

Never again will I buy a volvo. Dealer service advisor told me today to trade it in on a new Honda.... Any they aren't a Honda dealer!

Old 06-26-2008, 11:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much better would you all say the tranny is on the 2002 models and later (relative to the earlier ones..)

Im rather glad I have an 02 though