Volvo S90 & V90 Returning for 2017, This sleek full sized sedan mixes luxury with a sporty look.

2017 S90 Pirelli Tire issues.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 04:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I failed to mention that the tires are in fact the DWS06. I don't get any wandering issues with these tire. I don't really care about the 20 pounds or so of weight with the dynamat as I am not racing this car. I have used dynamat to stop resonances in many of my cars with great results. I have the Pirellis that were originally taken off the car and understand the foam issue. Do you have the air suspension or the regular transverse leaf? I have the leaf and for me the issue is harmonics that are transferred through surfaces and with each transfer it is amplified/changed/ or diminished. If you lift the floor of the trunk in your car and bring down the side panels you will see that there is little-to-none done from the factory to diminish the sound transfer. Many previous cars I have had would have beads of deadening material purposefully placed to diminish this noise transfer. My goal is to diminish some of the noise instead of remove it at the source. My A8L was nearly absent of road noise maybe that is why I feel this car is loud.

Like you, I also enjoy the way this car drives and it certainly turns heads on the road.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:35 PM

I have air suspension. I tried em both and really preferred it. I'm really happy now that I got it because I've had a lot of adults and luggage in the car since I bought it...more than all the A6's I've owned put together.

Nice to go down the street level with all that weight in the back...but other benefits too, I think.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:39 PM

INSCRIPTION BLACK LEATHER DASH W/STITCHING...

Anyone had the leather dash come apart yet? Mine did. Base of the A-pillar on passenger's side, the leather just came unglued and bunched up. I don't leave it in hot sun all day but even if I did...wow!

I took it in and they've ordered a new dash for me.

It's not horrible, but it's definitely noticeable. Once you know it's there, it really make you feel 2nd class.

Old 10-15-2017, 04:30 PM
Default Pirelli P zero and Sensus defects

I am brand new to this forum and also new to Volvo. My wife has been a Volvo fan for decades because she claims they make the best seats of any automated facture. I can't disagree with her
i've been an Audi, BMW, and Mercedes owner for most of my adult life. However I was intrigued by the styling and technologically advanced advaced S 90 so I purchased a 2017 S 90 inscription T6 with the polestar performance upgrade in April 2017
after the car had 5000 miles on it I begin to feel a vibration in my seat and also in the steering wheel which seemed to progress over the next thousand miles. It got so bad that at speeds at 70 miles an above the whole car began to shake. It wasn't just a question of noise So I took it back to the dealer, correction, they have valet service so they drove the 40 miles to my house drop me off a loner and picked up the car and took it in And told me that the foam insulation that probably puts in the P zeros for sound deadening had become dislodged from the tire carcass which was causing the in balance and the vibration. And told me that the foam insulation that proba puts in the P zeros for sound deadening had become dislodged from the tire carcass which was causing the in balance and the vibration. This is a known problem. Perelli will not take responsibility. However Volvo Provided me with a brand new set of Michelin high-performance all sea Provided me with a brand new set of Mic season AES3+ tires at no cost. why they didn't put all season radios on cars that were destined for the mid Atlantic or colder climates is beyond me.
Within days of getting the car back, my senses center screen went blank twice and once the air conditioning actually turned off at the same time so they came and picked up the car again and brought it in. This time my service advised me that the car would need to be in the shop for at least 3 to 4 weeks before Volvo could fix the problem.. Apparently this was a problem in the first generation Sensus at this point, under Maryland law where I live, the car could be considered a lemon and Volvo would have to buy the car back if it's been out of service for more than 30 days. While I love the styling of the car and the way it rides especially with the air-conditioned seats and the upgraded stereo system, the car is a dream to drive. However I don't want to be chasing electronic gremlins in this car over and over again. Apparently there are some lawsuits that have been filed already on earlier versions. system primarily on the XC 90s

Old 10-15-2017, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Musselbluechris
I am brand new to this forum and also new to Volvo. My wife has been a Volvo fan for decades because she claims they make the best seats of any automated facture. I can't disagree with her
i've been an Audi, BMW, and Mercedes owner for most of my adult life. However I was intrigued by the styling and technologically advanced advaced S 90 so I purchased a 2017 S 90 inscription T6 with the polestar performance upgrade in April 2017
after the car had 5000 miles on it I begin to feel a vibration in my seat and also in the steering wheel which seemed to progress over the next thousand miles. It got so bad that at speeds at 70 miles an above the whole car began to shake. It wasn't just a question of noise So I took it back to the dealer, correction, they have valet service so they drove the 40 miles to my house drop me off a loner and picked up the car and took it in And told me that the foam insulation that probably puts in the P zeros for sound deadening had become dislodged from the tire carcass which was causing the in balance and the vibration. And told me that the foam insulation that proba puts in the P zeros for sound deadening had become dislodged from the tire carcass which was causing the in balance and the vibration. This is a known problem. Perelli will not take responsibility. However Volvo Provided me with a brand new set of Michelin high-performance all sea Provided me with a brand new set of Mic season AES3+ tires at no cost. why they didn't put all season radios on cars that were destined for the mid Atlantic or colder climates is beyond me.
Within days of getting the car back, my senses center screen went blank twice and once the air conditioning actually turned off at the same time so they came and picked up the car again and brought it in. This time my service advised me that the car would need to be in the shop for at least 3 to 4 weeks before Volvo could fix the problem.. Apparently this was a problem in the first generation Sensus at this point, under Maryland law where I live, the car could be considered a lemon and Volvo would have to buy the car back if it's been out of service for more than 30 days. While I love the styling of the car and the way it rides especially with the air-conditioned seats and the upgraded stereo system, the car is a dream to drive. However I don't want to be chasing electronic gremlins in this car over and over again. Apparently there are some lawsuits that have been filed already on earlier versions. system primarily on the XC 90s
Chris:

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Interesting about the foam pulling away. I think the better way would be to make the foam bigger so it touches the sidewalls and holds itself in...or pour it in some way so it expands into open-cell foam? I really like the idea of dealing with that acoustic tire noise at the source. Pirelli has good ideas sometimes, but their execution is inconsistent. I had some bad P6 All Seasons on one of my A6s once. Have had good luck with their winter tires and with the All Seasons on my wife's Golf TSi...The Golf 7,btw, is a terrific car.

There's a Polestar performance upgrade for the S90??? Who knew? I'm not needing or wanting any more power for mine. It's just fine this way for me. I don't drive it hard.

I looked at trading mine in for a 2018 recently. They don't offer my favorite color anymore (Mussel Blue). They're all made in China now. That's a no-go for a US factory exec like me. They're also LONGER. I certainly don't need a longer car. It has a bigger back seat with fancier controls in back. . I don't want to ride in back and I don't want to be "the driver" for the people I'm driving around with. I just want to DRIVE. I thought the car was a little too long before. Now it's 7 series sized.

When i first had my S90, the dash went dark on me twice...just for a few seconds. I was on the same expressway just west of Chicago both times when the dash went blank. It happened twice in about the same location. Two other times, the active cruise refused to work twice. Both times heading east on the same general piece of road. The dash black-outs fixed themselves. The cruise worked after I shut the car off and rebooted...er...re-started the car.

I take the car to the dealer tomorrow for a new leather dash. Hope it lasts. Hope it's not full of rattles when I get it back.

Greely is being very ambitious with these new cars...A lot of innovation and content for comparatively little money. Every car Volvo makes uses the same engine block? Wow! I think it's genius, but difficult to pull off. Vibration on my 300HP 2 liter is negligible. Chalk that up to brilliantly designed motor mounts. It's not a sports car but it never lacks for power when I ask for it. Leather dash in a car with this sort of price? Touch screen instrument panel is very ambitious. All those features!

I expected a few problems with this car. I joined the forum so I could network with others to find out if problems were common or just random...and to share my thoughts about this great machine.

Volvos have seldom been trouble-free, especially the up-market ones, but I was just so curious about this tech and the car looks so great, I couldn't pass it up. I figured if every car they make has the same engine block, it should be a pretty good one. Sure enough, the engine has been reliable as a brick. I'm always wary about too much new electronics, but name me a car that doesn't have it. At least this car isn't saddled with a lot of legacy electronics trying to mimic features of digital cars.

Hey, I coulda got an Alfa or a Maserati! I'm sure I'd have spent a lot more time at the dealer than I have with this car. I thought this was a comparatively safe choice. This is a fun business car.

I was so bored with A6's. My last one had 19" sport package and it was still putting me to sleep. Looked at a well-equipped 535ix demo that was pretty sweet...but it was just too isolated and stuffy feeling. I like the S90 for its airy, upright cabin that you can see out of. It doesn't over-play "understated luxury". I think that's becoming a bit old....at least for me. This car is actually something new. Designed by Germans, Interior by Brits, Built by Swedes and owned by Chinese...With an Asian transmission. ...What could possibly go wrong???

To top it off, the day after I brought it in with my rippling leather dash, the mechanics and parts guys went out on strike at my dealer. Hopefully, this car will be all better soon.

Last edited by Wallinger; 10-15-2017 at 11:07 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:10 PM

Just joined re the Pirelli issue. S90 T6 Inscription since February. I notice a vibration at 45 MPH, worse at 65, but no steering wheel vibration. Found this forum and others re the Pirellis. I also learned that they were just summer tires. Turns out one of the tires and the separation issue. The dealer said that Pirelli takes 120 days to respond to dealers re replacement, but that the would replace it. I told them I didn't want the Pirellis, and I was shocked that they were summer tires. Long story short, because we are good customers (S90, 2018 XC60 - they replaced two other volvos), they reached out to corporate and they replaced the Pirellis with the Michellins mentioned above (all season), and all I paid was the $135 alignment....Volvo covered the tires, mounting and balancing. The vibration is gone. The tires are somewhat louder at high speeds, but with music on, it was fine for me.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:14 AM
Default Vibration issue

Hi everyone, just joined. I have done nearly 26,000 miles/41,000Km on the 2017 S90 inscription in UK. Over the last few weeks it has started vibrating starting at about 65 m/h. The dealer drove it, noted it and they corrected the wheel alignment. Problem disappeared for a couple of weeks and has gradually returned. Could it be the alignment is off again this soon following correction?

Old 12-31-2017, 10:56 AM

From what I'm reading this is impressive of Volvo to swap out summer tires with winter/all seasons without charge! Many cars I've had (Audi and VW) in the last 10 years almost always have come with summer tires, here at 5280ft or higher in the Rocky Mountains. My 2018 XC60 T6 R-Design came with summer tires (21-inch wheels) and the dealer said it was up to me to put winters on. I didn't think anything of it because I have been used to this.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Djac
To follow up on my tire experience. After Volvo put the Michelin Pilot Sport +3 tires on my car the winter experience was much improved however there was substantial noise. Noise that was so bad that between 60-65 mph you could not bear the whoomp whoomp humming. I brought the car back to the dealership two weeks later (which was as soon as I could, I live 1.5 hours away) and had them take it for a ride to determine for themselves. They weren't gone 15 minutes and came back and agreed there was a problem. Michelin was contacted and they wanted the DOT number off each tire and then they wanted the tires dismounted and sent to them for analysis. Volvo was initially going to let my car sit in the dealership without tires until the results came back, however the dealer said absolutely not, that this was not my problem and they should take care of the problem. So, Volvo agreed to put another set of tires on my car, this time they let me choose which tires I wanted from a list of 6 OEM tires. I chose the Continental Extreme Contact DWS, this tire is coincidentally the tire I asked them to put on before they chose the Michelins. The tires have been on for several months now and all is great. There is road noise similar to the Pirellis, but it seems there is just no way of escaping the road noise in these cars with the 20" rims. I am looking at putting some Dynamat style sound deadening under the trunk carpet and rear seat to see if it helps.
Continental Extreme Contact DWS or the Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus are my go to all seasons. I have had great experiences with them on everything from an Audi S4 to a VW Touareg TDI towing. They don't make a size that fit my wheels on the Volvo though.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:02 PM
Default Vibration issue

Originally Posted by Djac
To follow up on my tire experience. After Volvo put the Michelin Pilot Sport +3 tires on my car the winter experience was much improved however there was substantial noise. Noise that was so bad that between 60-65 mph you could not bear the whoomp whoomp humming. I brought the car back to the dealership two weeks later (which was as soon as I could, I live 1.5 hours away) and had them take it for a ride to determine for themselves. They weren't gone 15 minutes and came back and agreed there was a problem. Michelin was contacted and they wanted the DOT number off each tire and then they wanted the tires dismounted and sent to them for analysis. Volvo was initially going to let my car sit in the dealership without tires until the results came back, however the dealer said absolutely not, that this was not my problem and they should take care of the problem. So, Volvo agreed to put another set of tires on my car, this time they let me choose which tires I wanted from a list of 6 OEM tires. I chose the Continental Extreme Contact DWS, this tire is coincidentally the tire I asked them to put on before they chose the Michelins. The tires have been on for several months now and all is great. There is road noise similar to the Pirellis, but it seems there is just no way of escaping the road noise in these cars with the 20" rims. I am looking at putting some Dynamat style sound deadening under the trunk carpet and rear seat to see if it helps.
I had the vibration issue I mentioned in an earlier post. Just thought I’d follow up and let you all know the resolution. It turned out to be a dented rim. Don’t know how it happened, as I noticed the vibration when I first test drove the car before buying it. I was pretty convinced it was going to be a tire issue, as was my dealer. They tried balancing and aligning (several times), then replaced the tires. Nothing helped until one genius checked the rim and found the dent. They sent it out for repair and all has been well since.Still am enjoying the car tremendously. A few things are less good than they should be (I wish the suspension was less harsh, that the voice commands worked reliably and that the self driving wouldn’t quit without warning), but overall it’s a very satisfying car— smooth and powerful and a real head turner.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:22 PM

Posting here because I hate to start a new thread if it's not needed. I have a brand new 2018 s90 with 255/40/19 Pirelli P-sero M+S 100V tires (all season). Already been to the dealership 4 times (before I hit 1000 miles) for highway vibration issue. It's definitely the tires. Even took their head tech out with me, and he said "yeah, that's classic tire vibration, but we did a road force balance and it's within our specs..." I'm like, I don't care about your specs man, we're both sitting here in a car that's shaking at 70mph like my does does on the way to the vet, fix it! Their latest response was, it'll smooth out by 2000 miles. As skeptical as I was at that explanation, I bought it, mostly out of frustration and not wanting to burn any bridges with a dealership service dept I'm stuck with as long as this thing is under warranty. Guess what, took it on a road trip last week, put another 1000 miles on it, highway speeds still got me an annoying vibration. It's worse when I change lanes or apply even minimal steering input. Worst at 68-75 mph. Entirely imperceptible below 60 mph. No strange road noises. Vibration in seats and steering wheel. No dings, no wheel hits, so unless they were warped from the factory it's not a wheel/rim issue, and typically bearings you can hear at low speed too. It's the tires.

So, what can I do? How do I politely tell my dealership they're full of it and I want different tires on this thing? For a $70K I believe that a "minor vibration" at 70mph is unacceptable. Any advice?

Old 09-11-2018, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

I'd ask to talk to the service manager and even request he take the car for a drive on a local highway with you. Tires with vibrations never smooth out so they should pin point the cause. Did they check the alignment? ( a misalignment can cause tire cupping which causes vibrations) Did they try rotating tires front to rear? (an out of balance wheel will feel different when moved to the other end - it may not go away). They said they used a road force balancing machine - but I have had techs redo alignments so now I always ask for a print out now. If the service manager feels the vibration, ask them to redo the balancing test and ask for the print out. Last resort is to ask them to contact the regional office to see if there's any known issues with your model of Pirelli tires on the S90.