Volvo S90 & V90 Returning for 2017, This sleek full sized sedan mixes luxury with a sporty look.

Seat questions 2017 S90 inscription

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat questions 2017 S90 inscription

Hi everyone,

First post here. My wife just got a new S90 a few weeks ago, beautiful auto. After having read the owners manual I have some questions that maybe someone can answer. This is our first Volvo so I'm not familiar with the cars or the community. The manual mentions both "easy egress / ingress" and 'massage" for the seats however neither function is available on the car even though the seats can accommodate both. I contacted Volvo USA and their response on the massage was that it was European models only, no response yet on the egress/ingress. Since the front seats are capable of all of these functions, having air bladders for the massage and electric for the egress/ingress, it seems logical that a software upgrade to the system should be possible to enable these functions. For all of you old head Volvo owners out there, is this something Volvo will do (if it is possible) or are there any after market outfits that do this sort of programming for Volvo's? TIA.

Joe

Old 02-19-2017, 11:32 AM
Default Any info

Joe

Although i see no one replied to this thread, were you able to find anything on your own? i just purchased a 2017 S90, and would be interested in the exact inquiries you made. Especially the massage.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Joespin
Hi everyone,

First post here. My wife just got a new S90 a few weeks ago, beautiful auto. After having read the owners manual I have some questions that maybe someone can answer. This is our first Volvo so I'm not familiar with the cars or the community. The manual mentions both "easy egress / ingress" and 'massage" for the seats however neither function is available on the car even though the seats can accommodate both. I contacted Volvo USA and their response on the massage was that it was European models only, no response yet on the egress/ingress. Since the front seats are capable of all of these functions, having air bladders for the massage and electric for the egress/ingress, it seems logical that a software upgrade to the system should be possible to enable these functions. For all of you old head Volvo owners out there, is this something Volvo will do (if it is possible) or are there any after market outfits that do this sort of programming for Volvo's? TIA.

Joe
I had the same disappointment on the massage seats. Didn't even know about the ingress/egress function although it would be a great addition. These join other ghost options like the electric rear sunshade my manual tells me about, but which I can't find. Can't answer your question on software upgrades but I'll ask next time I'm at the dealership. What I want to know is why the European's get all the good stuff? I'm starting to feel like a Cleveland Browns fan.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:50 PM

Don't get me started on the rear sunshade. I saw that in the manual and naturally went to put it up. Wait, where is the icon in Sensus, the manual says it is right here.

Oh well, so far I pretty much love everything else about the car.

Seems like each day I learn something new.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:41 PM

Nothing new to report on the vaporware. However after the car having been in the shop a few times for various things I have come to find out that the Volvo dealers, at lest mine, have no clue about this car. My car is telling me I need a map update but it is too big to download so go to the dealer to do it.(that is when the download manager actually connects, most of the time it can't seem to find the server?) Anyway while the car was at Volvo this past week I asked about the map upgrade. They told me I have the latest one but on the way home the download manager tells me I don't. BTW, the car was in for spurious warnings, 12 volt battery low / tire pressure monitoring system needs to be checked. Their fix, "software upgrade". Does the tech spec on the upgrade mention either I ask. Answer, I don't know. That seems to be their standard answer. We are still happy with the car but hopefully it doesn't turn into a problem. I also have an older lexux RX 350 and a 13 Merc SL65 AMG. both lexus and Merc dealers run rings around Volvo.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

That most likely isn't the dealer's fault, it's Volvo's. For pretty much any problem, they want us to open a case with them to advise on repair. In most cases, software updates are done. We can only do what they say. It was the same with the new XC90 when it came out (which continues to need software updates but has gotten a lot better).

The maps, however, are a different story. I think the current version is 1173. Go to the maps in the download center and click your region. It should tell you what version you have. You can update them yourself and I think instructions are in the owners manual. You'll need a 64GB USB stick. It takes about 4 hours to download to the stick and another 50 minutes to load them into the car.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T
That most likely isn't the dealer's fault, it's Volvo's. For pretty much any problem, they want us to open a case with them to advise on repair. In most cases, software updates are done. We can only do what they say. It was the same with the new XC90 when it came out (which continues to need software updates but has gotten a lot better).

The maps, however, are a different story. I think the current version is 1173. Go to the maps in the download center and click your region. It should tell you what version you have. You can update them yourself and I think instructions are in the owners manual. You'll need a 64GB USB stick. It takes about 4 hours to download to the stick and another 50 minutes to load them into the car.
Thanks for the info on the maps, I'll try it when I have a chance.

I don't know if the dealer is opening a case with Volvo or not and I don't know if it is a software issue or an electrical/ module glitch. The car just keeps doing strange things. Last night my wife was driving home and put on the turn signal then she heard the loud warning bell (enough to scare the bejesus out of you. I've heard it (also for no apparent reason) and got some message saying the turn signals weren't working (not verbatim)). I don't drive the care that much and I've gotten four or five different fault messages in the limited time I've driven it. Not quite sure what to do because if it is an electrical issue causing all of these spurious issues I want to know in case I have to bring a Lemon Law suite to the dealer.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:16 PM

I've had a couple minor complaints, but nothing serious with mine. None of the issues you are describing, Joespin (if you were wondering if this was a modelwide problem). It sounds as if your car has a real glitch that needs to be diagnosed and repaired.

As to the infotainment system, I've come to appreciate the Volvo's a lot more since having rented a Cadillac for a long trip. It's is truly baffling.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:02 AM

I find the technology in my 2017 S90 Inscription to be very tedious and counter intuitive. I've had tire problems with mine that were resolved satisfactorily by my dealer (Herb Chambers Norwood). What I'm not happy with is the Pilot Assist. I've had the dealer upgrade the software, which repaired the adaptive speed control to make it usable. However, the pilot assist upgrade has done nothing to make it even remotely usable. It doesn't work on a perfectly straight highway, with clear lane markers and constant speeds. It will work for 30 seconds.... then turn off.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:41 PM

I can say that a little over three weeks in, i have had no issues with my S90. Are there a few minor matters i am not a fan of, yes of course, but overall i am very happy.

From what I can gather, my vehicle was manufactured near the end of November or early December, so not sure if that is factor compared to some of you. Possibly later than some with issues already worked out. I have updated myself the voice command, and maps. The voice command works fine on matters related to the function of the vehicle. For instance AC and heat, to include seats and wheel heat. It does not even come remotely close in navigation commands.

No other updates are available.

As far as Adaptive Cruise Control and Pilot Assist it works pretty much flawlessly. i have not had one issue with the Adaptive cruise control, and have learned that the Pilot Assist does have a touch of difficulty functioning early in the AM, when heading directly East into a rising sun low on the horizon. Although i have not had the issue, i would predict it may have the same issue heading West into a low on the horizon setting sun. Any other time it works as described int he owners manual to include around standard freeway type curves, and on turns in freeway transitions from one to another.

Jack, you description of turning off, would lead me to think you are completely removing your hands from the steering wheel for an extended period of time. Not sure if that is the case, or if it just turns off. the manual says if you remove your hands for 15 seconds it will shut down. I find that total removal from hands will cause a warning at 15 seconds and then a **** down in about another 5 to 10 seconds.

I do find the start up of the Sensus system can be a little annoying as it can take a little longer then i would prefer to be up and fully operational faster. I also wish the car can be moved without having to put the seat belt. I know i am being petty, but i have had multiple occasions to move the car a few feet or move up my driveway and can not until the seat belt is on.

The parking feature works as described and predicted, the cameras work well to include 360, and the sides and front. The standard sounds system to me is great IMHO.

The interior is terrific, the ride is smooth and quiet the mileage for me appears for the time being to be a little less than advertised, however, it is increasing for each tank of gas, so who knows where it will be.

I hope you are all able to work out your issues and have the same level of quality vehicle i am currently experiencing.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Batdog

As far as Adaptive Cruise Control and Pilot Assist it works pretty much flawlessly. i have not had one issue with the Adaptive cruise control, and have learned that the Pilot Assist does have a touch of difficulty functioning early in the AM, when heading directly East into a rising sun low on the horizon. Although i have not had the issue, i would predict it may have the same issue heading West into a low on the horizon setting sun. Any other time it works as described int he owners manual to include around standard freeway type curves, and on turns in freeway transitions from one to another.

Jack, you description of turning off, would lead me to think you are completely removing your hands from the steering wheel for an extended period of time. Not sure if that is the case, or if it just turns off. the manual says if you remove your hands for 15 seconds it will shut down. I find that total removal from hands will cause a warning at 15 seconds and then a **** down in about another 5 to 10 seconds.

I
My problems with the Pilot assist occur with both hands on the wheel. It steers me across the center line and off the shoulder, or just shuts off on a straight or gently curving road. Yesterday I was trying the adaptive cruise control on a 40mph road and it totally failed to slow as the car in front of me stopped to make a turn. I had to slam on the brakes.

My dealer is 25 miles away. Bringing it back in is a pain. Can Volvo do a remote diagnostic through the on board computer system?

Old 03-03-2017, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

For a concern like that, they are going to have to open a case with the Technical Help Desk

Old 03-03-2017, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T
For a concern like that, they are going to have to open a case with the Technical Help Desk

Thanks. I swapped emails with them today. I just need to send them the VIN and mileage, which I'll grab tomorrow.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Joespin
Nothing new to report on the vaporware. However after the car having been in the shop a few times for various things I have come to find out that the Volvo dealers, at lest mine, have no clue about this car. My car is telling me I need a map update but it is too big to download so go to the dealer to do it.(that is when the download manager actually connects, most of the time it can't seem to find the server?) Anyway while the car was at Volvo this past week I asked about the map upgrade. They told me I have the latest one but on the way home the download manager tells me I don't. BTW, the car was in for spurious warnings, 12 volt battery low / tire pressure monitoring system needs to be checked. Their fix, "software upgrade". Does the tech spec on the upgrade mention either I ask. Answer, I don't know. That seems to be their standard answer. We are still happy with the car but hopefully it doesn't turn into a problem. I also have an older lexux RX 350 and a 13 Merc SL65 AMG. both lexus and Merc dealers run rings around Volvo.
Joespin:

Change dealers!!! I did. Absolutely no penalty. I still get a loaner and mechanics that know what's going on. I bought my S90-I from a small Volvo only dealer...Family run but with an undercurrent of something afoot. Sure enough, within a month from purchase, they were bought out by a big dealership chain. I was holding on to these guys because they were independent, but never went back after the sale. Went to another chain with good rep nearer to my usual routes. Much, much better. Happy to get my business.

Your experiences match mine...vaporware seats and rear window shade, some ****ling problems, software updates etc.

B&W stereo is really terrific if you set the fader a little behind the front seats. It's a little shrill in standard setting...I think the center driver on the dash is a little strong in default setting. Setting the fader a little to the rear solves it for me. Also found the Sound Experience app on the 3rd screen to be fun to play with. I've found my personal magic setting but everyone will have their own, I imagine.

Nothing really big has gone wrong with the car and I love driving it. I have had it in a couple of times for mostly software things. Also ordered the rubber mats, which are good.

Currently, one of the little grocery hooks in the trunk broke off and my iPod shows the 1st song played...all the time. It will change songs and it sounds glorious, but the first song continues to be displayed on the screen. If I press the Forward button, it will change the display to the next song that plays...then the display again will not change when the song changes. It's a very minor thing, but it worked right for the first 2 months...Not a huge thing, but annoying.

I think Inscription with the 20" wheels and air suspension is the bomb. Just great with plenty of back seat room for business guys. The ride is sporty but never harsh...and it TURNS. Engine/trans not made for hot-*******, but torque is great around town as is highway passing.

This car makes me happy on my everyday, week day rounds. I had 4 A6's prior to this. Loved em, but just wanted something different. My 13 A6 had 19" sport package. Was a little more poised and the power and balance were a little better for driving like a nut, but this thing is really good...handles bad roads better than the A6 and is really a nice place to be. I have to check myself or I'm passing everything in sight.

We have winter here. I had to change out the summer tires. I bought Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. I like them but they make more noise over rough surfaces than the Pirelli P-Zeros did. When we changed, the tech showed me a fat foam band glued to the inside of the tire circumference. I think it was there to damp acoustic noise. The Michelins don't have it and that's the difference.

I still think they're a good choice for an all season. They handle great...as good as most summer tires. They balanced very well. There is no tread noise and winter traction is decent. Only noise is over grooved or rough surfaces...which doesn't happen that often...and it's not awful anyway.

I had this tire in "3"...not "3+" on my Audi. Was also good, but winter traction was not great. 3+ is better.

'17 Inscription; Mussel Blue/Black...