Volvo S90 & V90 Returning for 2017, This sleek full sized sedan mixes luxury with a sporty look.

Start stop requires service with new battery.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Start stop requires service with new battery.

Hi.
I had my volvo 2018 v90(Cc) showing start stop error on old support battery. I was recharging it and at some point my volvo was even showing start stop enabled (green icon) for a second after the car was starter. I wanted to give it a chance and continued driving to allow it to load fully. But it became smelly after long ride and I figured out eventually that it is the batter that smells sulfur after longer charging.
So I replaced it.
I bought a news car battery of the same size and the same parameters (180A, 12V, 10Ah, AGM), I poured the acid inside and after minutes I checked that it has 12.8V. I've connected everything and started the car.
But to my surprise my car is now still showing "start/stop service required".
I am out of ideas. What is going on? How do I proceed from here?

I'll be very thankful to all suggestions.

edit: The warning message is not showing anymore today but the gray, crossed out "A" icon is shown.

Last edited by Doker; 09-28-2021 at 02:58 AM.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:20 AM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm at a bit of a loss. I thought the Volvo 12 volt factory-installed battery is maintenance free. You purchased an "identical" battery and "poured" "acid inside"?

From what I understand, a failure of the stop/start battery will only prevent the car's stop/start function from working. I own a 2020 V90 and the car's main power source is the large battery in the trunk.

Regarding the charging of the stop/start battery, while driving, the charging process depends on driving conditions. If you're driving a high-heat environment, with the AC on high, or in a very cold environment, with the heat on high, I've found that the stop/start battery doesn't recharge very quickly.

Old 12-31-2021, 09:15 AM

The little start/stop battery is at the bottom of the charging order and in our experience the error can take a few days to clear unless the dealer does it in the computer. Agree w/prior comments. Proper replacement is drop in no need to add acid or water.

Old 07-16-2022, 09:09 AM
Default Stop start failure

Stop start will only work if the large battery in the boot is above 85% charged. Had a similar problem with my 2019 XC60, Volvo put it on charge over night & my stop/ start works perfectly, but now I’m only making short journeys & aircon, radio & other electric stufff is being used stop/ start not working.

Old 07-16-2022, 10:21 AM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyC
Stop start will only work if the large battery in the boot is above 85% charged. Had a similar problem with my 2019 XC60, Volvo put it on charge over night & my stop/ start works perfectly, but now I’m only making short journeys & aircon, radio & other electric stufff is being used stop/ start not working.
Under normal circumstances, I do not believe your primary battery should discharge are your mentioned. However, the much smaller stop/start battery is more prone to discharge and, as a result, will prevent the stop/start feature from working.

Regarding your primary battery discharge, IMO this is something that should be looked at by a technician. You may have a peracetic draw, a faulty alternator or a battery on its way to needing replacement. From what I recall, I believe the original Volvo primary batteries have a useful life of 4-to-5 years, on average. I've heard of people needing to replace their battery after only 3 years, while I've heard of other instances where the battery can last from 5-to-7 years. I believe it depends on driving habits, the climate your car typically drives in, the features used in the car, etc.