Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

850 TDI does not start.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 07:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 850 TDI does not start.

First of all, sorry for my English. It's not my mother tongue.

I've got a problem with my baby -- 850 TDI/AW 50-42/1997 MY.

Two days ago I tried to start it in the morning, but all in vain. When I turn a key, main relay began clicking like a machine gun and an rpm indicator (tachometer) showed about 1500 rpm (funny, but engine didn't work). I tried starter (it worked well), but engine didn't start. I've measured voltage -- battery has 12,46 V. First fuse (when ignition is on) has 11,05 V.

I understand, that the best thing is to go to Volvo service, but unfortunately we don't have it in our small city. The nearest Volvo scanner is 400 km from me.

So, may be somebody had that kind of problem with his car and can give me an advice?

Thanks in advance. Henk.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:04 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Usually clicking means that battery is to weak to start the car. Measure volts while cranking. It may have a couple of good cells and a few bad cells.

Is the motor "turning over"?

Old 05-29-2012, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by rspi
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Thanks

Usually clicking means that battery is to weak to start the car. Measure volts while cranking. It may have a couple of good cells and a few bad cells.
I know what you are saying about. Battery is fine. I have no doubt about it. I've purchased it in January. In February we had -30 degrees and it worked fine

Is the motor "turning over"?
Yes, starter was turning the engine good enough to get sufficient pressure in the fuel system. If I understand your question correctly.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

See if you can jump start it with another car. It still may be the battery. I've seen a brand new battery suddenly go bad just a few weeks after purchase. TDI motors need a lot more battery power to start due to the fact they are a diesel. If the car starts after jumping (boosting) it with another car, it is definitely the battery. Won't hurt or cost anything to try it anyway. Good luck!

Old 05-29-2012, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Psaboic
See if you can jump start it with another car. It still may be the battery. I've seen a brand new battery suddenly go bad just a few weeks after purchase. TDI motors need a lot more battery power to start due to the fact they are a diesel. If the car starts after jumping (boosting) it with another car, it is definitely the battery. Won't hurt or cost anything to try it anyway. Good luck!
Thanks for your attention. I agree with you about bad quality of batteries (sometimes). That's why first of all, ("with the help of my friends" (c) The Beatles) I took a "just serviced" battery from the battery service company. Nothing changed.

And to drug the car is hardly possible -- automatic gearbox...

Anyway, thanks for your reply!

Old 05-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Well if the battery is definitely good, and you get a rapid fire clicking it could be the starter solenoid is cutting in and cutting out. I read you say the starter is turning ok though, so I'm kind of stumped

Old 05-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Just thought, check the battery cable connections and if possible, the starter cable connections, might have a loose connection

Old 05-30-2012, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Psaboic
Just thought, check the battery cable connections and if possible, the starter cable connections, might have a loose connection
Thanks! Just checked all possible connections and cleaned them with a sandpaper, but no change... Seems to me that I have to purchase Volvo Dice.

Originally Posted by 1995Volvo850
If your car has a manual trans,
It's automatic...

Old 05-30-2012, 09:37 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

There is a slim chance that the car is now flooded. Pull the plugs and while you're at it, do a compression test. If you have little or no compression, it will not start.

http://www.atthetipwebs.com/technolo...ssion_test.htm

Old 05-30-2012, 09:33 PM

There is a slim chance that the car is now flooded. Pull the plugs and while you're at it, do a compression test. If you have little or no compression, it will not start.

Compression Test - Volvo S70 GLT, 1998
His car is a diesel, I believe. lol

Old 06-04-2012, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by 1995Volvo850
His car is a diesel, I believe. lol
You are right

Anyway, today it has started. I did nothing. I've assembled the simplest error code reader and agreed with my friend (he is an automotive electrician), that tomorrow he will have a look at the car. And today it has started! Even before I was sure that a car is not just a piece of iron, it's human.

I will attach an actual layout of my simplest error code reader and pinout of OBDII. Maybe someone will need it.

Attached Thumbnails 850 TDI does not start.-simple-error-code-reader.jpg   850 TDI does not start.-obdii-pins.jpg