Volvo S90 & V90 Returning for 2017, This sleek full sized sedan mixes luxury with a sporty look.

Whose fault is this? -Fuel Pump-

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 10:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whose fault is this? -Fuel Pump-

I recently took my 98 Volvo S90 into a mechanic due to a ticking sound in the engine. Aside from the ticking sound, the engine was running fine. They disgnosed that the ticking sound was caused due to a oil trap in need of replacement. They also suggested that I replace the shifter bushings and have an overall tune-up. I had them perform all of the suggested repairs and when I went to pick it up, paid the $680 bill. It did not start when I went to leave the mechanic's parking lot. Despite its age, it has been well taken care of and has NEVER failed to start. They tinkered with it for a few minutes, told me that there had been an air bubble in the fuel line and it started and I left. Later that evening, I drove it somewhere 10 blocks from my house and when I got ready to leave, it would not crank. I had to call AAA and have it towed back to the mechanic. Now, the mechanic is telling me that the fuel pump has suddenly gone out and needs to be replaced. It seems like quite the coincidence. Plus, it wasnt noticed when it was there for the 4 days of work. Advice?

Old 09-19-2008, 12:27 PM
Default RE: Whose fault is this? -Fuel Pump-

The fuel pump doesn't make the engine crank. The battery and starter do. I'd check the battery first. It may just be that they left a door open too long and the lights ran the battery down. If the mechanic disconnected the battery while working on the car, maybe he didn't tighten the connection when he put the cable back on. Check to make sure that it's secure.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:52 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I have seen many fuel pumps go bad like that if that is what the problem is.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:55 PM

ORIGINAL: vegasjetskier

The fuel pump doesn't make the engine crank. The battery and starter do. I'd check the battery first. It may just be that they left a door open too long and the lights ran the battery down. If the mechanic disconnected the battery while working on the car, maybe he didn't tighten the connection when he put the cable back on. Check to make sure that it's secure.

+1