Volvo V40 A super safe wagon, this attainable Volvo offers something for everyone.

2001 V40 speakers

Old 05-10-2018, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 V40 speakers

I have a few questions about the V40 speakers.

1) Wondering if anyone has any information on the size/replacements available for the single speaker (what I assume is a bass speaker) located in the rear passenger side of the V40 behind the grill where the cargo net is. Mine is completely shredded and needs a replacement. Crutchfield said they did not have a wiring harness adapter for these cars so can it even be replaced with aftermarket speakers or do I need to find a used oem replacement?

2) The bass speaker mentioned above, in my V40, only has one wiring connecting on the right side of the speaker box enclosure. Some oem replacements I have seen on eBay that come from the UK, have two connections (one on both sides). I assume this is an amplified version but I am wondering if that version be used to replace the version I have.

2) I've had the radio faded to the front speakers for a while now because of the distortion coming from the rear. Because the bass speaker mentioned above is shredded, I assumed this was the issue, but I think it's more than that now. I unplugged the bass speaker to remove it from the equation and was still getting distortion from the rear passenger side pillar speaker. I thought that speaker was blown too but decided to remove the driver side rear pillar speaker (which sounds fine) and plug it into the rear left pillar wiring. It now sounds distorted. I took the passenger rear pillar speaker (that I thought was blown) and plugged it into the rear driver side pillar and it sounds fine. So it must be the wiring right? Front speakers are fine. What could cause only that one section of wiring to distort the sound coming through the speakers.

To explain the distortion, it's almost like it's over powered. The speaker sounds louder than what the volume and all other speakers are set to, as if the volume is much higher for this one speaker somehow.

Thanks for any help.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When the speakers get old, the foam surrounds dry rot and fall apart. This allows the speaker to move too freely for proper control and will distort. It as been a while since I looked at the V40 system. I am much more familiar with the S40 system, which is the same except for the rear speakers.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoNaut
When the speakers get old, the foam surrounds dry rot and fall apart. This allows the speaker to move too freely for proper control and will distort..
Exactly what happened to mine. Just disintegrated.