Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

2001 V70 Brake light replacement--How do I get the speakers out??

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 V70 Brake light replacement--How do I get the speakers out??

Both of my brake lights in my 01 V70 are out (high brake light in the middle of rear window works.) I've replaced bulbs before but I can't seem to figure this one out. Followed manual instructions and removed the speaker grill, pulled the red tab out and that's where I got stopped. The manual refers to pushing on a black pin or button above the red tab and twisting the speaker out. I have more of a black tab above the red button and all the pushing in the world is not making anything happen. I really don't want to pay to get brake lights replaced. Any recommendations for getting those speakers out? Thanks very much.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:25 PM

Did you ever figure this out? I have exactly the same rear brake light issue on my V70. That is one tough bulb to get to!

Old 01-30-2013, 10:34 AM
Default Brake light replacement for V70

Hi, yes, I had trouble with getting the speakers out too but it's fairly easy when you know how! Try pushing the flattened tab at the top of the speaker firmly inwards and this will disengage the detente behind it, which is at 90 degrees to the tab and hinged. Hold it there and pull on the speaker body which should come forward and out (no twisting required despite the handbook's instructions!). That's the easy bit, as is removing the light bulb holder, which you simply twist, but BE CAREFUL to note the orientation of this before you do as getting it back in is real fiddly for people like me with a fat hand! You may think it easier to use pliers and you need to check the correct orientation of the flat grip on the holder before you start! Another thing to watch is that if you drop the bulb (which I narrowly avoided first time round) it could disappear down the door pillar, possibly for keeps? Maybe using pliers would make even more sense then.
It's a shame that Volvo couldn't include an update slip with their handbook when they re-design a part like this, you'd think the car cost peanuts!
Good luck with it anyway.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:37 AM

Hi, yes, I had trouble with getting the speakers out too but it's fairly easy when you know how! Try pushing the flattened tab at the top of the speaker firmly inwards and this will disengage the detente behind it, which is at 90 degrees to the tab and hinged. Hold it there and pull on the speaker body which should come forward and out (no twisting required despite the handbook's instructions!). That's the easy bit, as is removing the light bulb holder, which you simply twist, but BE CAREFUL to note the orientation of this before you do as getting it back in is real fiddly for people like me with a fat hand! You may think it easier to use pliers and you need to check the correct orientation of the flat grip on the holder before you start! Another thing to watch is that if you drop the bulb (which I narrowly avoided first time round) it could disappear down the door pillar, possibly for keeps? Maybe using pliers would make even more sense then.
It's a shame that Volvo couldn't include an update slip with their handbook when they re-design a part like this, you'd think the car cost peanuts!

Old 02-27-2013, 11:08 AM

A bit of advice DRILL A HOLE through the flat plastic tab and put a shoe-lace through - I dropped my bulb and holder, it drops a long way and it's almost impossible to get back. I stuffed a rag in where I thought it might drop, but it got past.
I manage to retrieve mine but I could do with a skin transplant now.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:45 AM
Default Key to orienting the bulb holder?

As many times as I've replaced these bulbs, I can't figure out if you put the bulb holder in with the tab vertical and turn right to tighten, or if it goes in at plus or minus 15 degrees then turn to tighten.

I gave myself 15 outbursts of f*!K before stopping for a beer. Trying again this morning.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by PUBLEY
I am SO glad I found the Volvo Owners forum! Didn't want to break the (speaker/ bulb holder....whatever it is!) Your instructions about pushing the black tab toward the pillar is exactly what I needed. I'll be trying this soon, as I'm getting tired of the 'bulb failure' message! I love all the great advice!