Volvo V40 A super safe wagon, this attainable Volvo offers something for everyone.

change of the backlight went wrong

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 08:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry change of the backlight went wrong

I got a Volvo V40 2.0T 1998 Phase 1

The problem is that sometimes the instrument housing were only light on half and sometimes it was all light up. So i made my mind to change the lamps from original bulbs to led lights, they are still 1,2v and they are in blue colour.

But when i had done it and i put it inside the car and later turn back the lights i noticed there is no light at all in the housing and the lights at the ECC where you can control the fan and heat was also not lighted up, but still the cars half and high beam is working and all other lamps on the outside of the car, also the lights for the button for the electric window is still lights on.

i have check all the fuses, inside the motor and inside the cupe but all is working, no1 is broken.
I have heard that it also can be a relay that is broken, but how to know which of them is broken or not, not possible to see, and how to know which one is for the instrumental light? In Haynes book and the Volvo book that came with the car don't help with this.

I have also tried with another switch, the one located at left of the steering wheel without success.

I have also heard that there is a box name "CEM" "Central electric modul" but i have watch on pictures on google and look at the same area in the car i cant find any "CEM"? so it is very strange. I can only find a box name "keyless Entry" and a "Volvo Guard" and a blue box that should not the be CEM box.

So i dont know if there might be any CEM in my V40? or not?

Also any other who know what can be wrong?

If the instrumental housing is broken on the circuit board somehow, can this cause that the light on the ECC stop working?

Inside the car i still got power for the roof when open/closing door.

Please i request help!!!