Volvo V40 A super safe wagon, this attainable Volvo offers something for everyone.

check engine light problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light problem

Hello All!
I'm hoping someone here might have some advice for me. I have a 2000 V40 with less than 80k miles. I'm been having a problem for the past several months that several mechanics have been unable to solve. My check engine light has been coming on for no apparent reason. Months ago when the problem began, the car was misfiring a little when idling. Mechanic #1 changed my transmission fluid which needed to be done anyway, and then suggested that the problem might be related to my timing belt and/or some related valve that someone MAY have improperly installed previously. He cleared the code and I opted out of the timing belt because it seemed too soon to replace it. Shortly after that the light was back on. Mechanic #2 said timing belt was fine, replaced spark plugs and that fixed the misfiring but a week later the check engine light was back. Next they replaced my thermostat. After that all was fine for a week or so and then the light went back on, intermittently this time, but still on. Today I was told that the codes indicate that maybe my oil is dirty and they could replace my oil and see if that fixes the problem. I opted out, since I changed oil in November and don't drive that much but now that I'm thinking about it, this light did start coming on shortly after that oil change last year. Could that really be the problem? Any advice? Should I just ignore it since it's not seeming to affect my car's performance (and I'm short on cash!)?
Thanks!

Old 03-17-2008, 12:43 PM
sse
Default RE: check engine light problem

You should post the CEL codes, but yes, these cars are very sensitive to bad oil, particularly oil sludge. I had a similar problem a while back, I was getting code P00014 and Tech suggested an engine flush.

After the flush, and then another oil change this time with a seafoam, the CEL comes on much less often now. Still occasionally happens though.
Hopefully, after the next oil change it will be gone altogether.

I also cleaned out my CVVT sensor with carb cleaner. I believe the sludge can get in there and cause it to generate codes.

sse

Old 04-07-2008, 11:17 PM
Default RE: check engine light problem

x2. sludge is a hugh problem with this engine. Flush it then run a synthetic oil, slightly thinner then the book. Like an 0w-30.