Volvo V40 A super safe wagon, this attainable Volvo offers something for everyone.

Engine light issue really need help pls

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine light issue really need help pls

Hello, I'm new here and to volvos, recently I bought my wife a 01 v40 the wagon had an oil leak and engine light for p0015. The leak was from the CVVT hub so I order the hub and new timing belt, also the camshaft locking tools.

Everything went fine during installation but now to the problem:
After installing everything and turn on the car as soon as it turned on the engine light was on, I checked and have 3 codes which are (P0013, P0015, P0017), although it had the codes was and is still runs fine.

I had done some research and saw it might be the hub might had been off a tooth or so, So I took everything apart a few times advancing timing to see if it get rid of the code but no luck, I have tried every possible timing position and still get the 3 codes even after fully advancing the timing to see if it make a difference.

Also checked the reset valve for clogging but it look as if previous owner had that replace as it looked new, I tried running the car without the reset valve connected but no luck or change. Car runs ok but won't boost due to the p0013 code.

I tried resetting the engine light but as soon as I reset the codes with the scanner the light don't even blink and stays on and scanning gives the same 3 codes, I also tried resetting the light with the car off and ignition on and same result scanner says codes clear but light stays on and check for codes and same 3 codes still there.

Am at a loss don't know what else to do any advice from someone more knowledgeable than me will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:01 PM
Default Update

Well after working some more on the wagon today, I plugged in the laptop read codes and still had the 3 codes, then all of a sudden a new code popped up. That happened placed the laptop on top of the engine so I wiggled the wires under it which are the ones that run by the coils, reset valve and have some sort of capacitor and car felt like it change the way it Idle, I turned off the car reset the codes with ignition on, after turning the car on (check engine) light never didn't come back on, I scanned the car again and no codes or pending codes so far. Will update if anything change

Last edited by cano1986; 05-03-2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:38 PM

Very possible you have the timing off by 1/2 tooth, etc. With the cams locked in position from behind and the crank gear marks aligned dead-on on either side of the index on the oil pump, the VVT gear and intake cam gear should be left slightly loose when threading the timing belt. This allows the belt slack between the crank, intake & exhaust (VVT) to be taken up completely without affecting the timing. Adjust your belt tension properly with the tensioner, tighten the bolt to lock it in place, then fully tighten the intake, then VVT gear, and install the VVT hub bolt seal. Remove the cam lock tool (and crank lock if you used one), then rotate the engine 2 1/4 times, then return to TDC, aligning the cam gear marks with the upper timing cover. The crank marks should align perfectly and the timing belt tension should be correct.

Edit to add, this should solve the condition that triggered the MIL light, but the code will still be stored and the light will probably stay on for a number of run cycles. The stored code can cause some performance problems for awhile, or so we experienced. Needing a code reader for other purposes anyway, I ran down to the local parts store and bought an inexpensive one that can clear the codes. Doing so got rid of the light, the stored codes and reset the engine management system. After driving the car a couple days the system adapted and it now runs like a top.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by SoK66; 06-04-2014 at 01:01 PM. Reason: more info
Old 06-27-2014, 12:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you get this sorted? I had a similar issue and I"m pretty sure it had to do with the fact that I did not turn the crank ever so slightly clockwise to tighten up the belt between the intake cam and the crank before tightening the tensioner. Did the whole job again paying closer attention to this part and no more CEL. In my case, I tightened the tensioner, took the tools off, turned the crank twice and noticed that the tensioner was no longer properly calibrated (to the middle). I did this twice without success until I re-read the VIDA instructions which clearly advised to tighten the slack in the belt...woops. It pays to read the entire instructions!!!

Old 06-28-2014, 07:54 AM

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. But I did got it sorted out and so far I havent had issues.