Volvo V40 A super safe wagon, this attainable Volvo offers something for everyone.

Help! She Wont Start :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 09:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! She Wont Start :(

I have a 2003 V40 with about 190000KM.

Honestly I have haven't done anything to her in the last 100000km.

Recently it's been getting harder for her to start in the morning. she'll turn over for a bit and then start.

We'll the other day she gave up and refused to start. she turns over but wont start.

Since then I've:

A)Replaced the fuel filter
A)Replaced sparkplugs

I have one of those code readers and I'm getting misfire on cylider 1 & 4 and P102 MAF mass air flow.

I was told that it isn't the mass air flow sensor because it should still start but run in what they call is limp mode.

My next plan of action is to replace the 2 ignition coils.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 04-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Default Cold start problem?

So I replaced one of the coils because I was getting very little spark from it.

The only way I can start the car is to kick down on the throttle and start it up. If I can keep her from stalling by varying the pressure on the throttle and when she finally gets up to normal operating temperature, I'll be able to start her again just by turning the key with no foot on the throttle.

Thoughts?

Old 04-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

If you clear the MAF code does it come right back?
Is the fuel pressure regulator leaking?

Old 04-12-2010, 08:38 AM

I am new to the forum and to volvos so take this with a grain of salt. The symptom of having to hold the pedal down to start the engine on other cars indicates a possible idle air control valve. I don't know if these have an iacv and if they dont what the part replaced the iacv on these cars........

Old 04-12-2010, 08:44 AM

a few more thoughts.....running some techron through the fuel tank is always a good idea, especially with misfires. A clean air filter is an issue sometimes. on other cars by disconnecting the neg cable on the battery for a bit reboots the pcm. I dont know about volvos.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:02 AM
Default Help! She Wont Start :( UPDATE!

So the only way she was able to start for the past week in the morning was if I had the accelerator pressed all the way down while I turned the key. I would have to hold the accelerator for a bit before she would idle on her own.

She would start fine for the rest of the day. The next morning, same thing all over again.

Well yesterday I tried starting her in the morning and she would start with me holding the accelerator but holding the accelerator for an extended period of time she will not idle on her own.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Old 04-27-2010, 06:58 AM

like.... .tech said does the code come back on......I would clean the maf..........and if you have a iacv I would remove and clean it..........that symptom is related to a bad or dirty iacv on a lot of cars......i would check the air filter...........your "gas pedal" is realy an "air pedal" when you step on it it is calling for air when the air comes in it then gives it gas........next time you go to start it spray stater fluid in the tb and if it fires right up it is probably a fuel pressure issue.........

Old 04-27-2010, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by tech
If you clear the MAF code does it come right back?
Is the fuel pressure regulator leaking?

I just reread the thread......with the misfire codes a fuel issue is probably more likely......check the fpr like tech suggested and maybe a fuel pressure test if you can .

Old 04-27-2010, 08:27 AM
Default Help! She Wont Start :(

If it was a fuel pressure issue, wouldn't she sputter throughout the day?
When she finally gets going, she runs really well throughout the day.

I'm going to clear the codes today.
I just changed the air filter yesterday.
I don't see any air lines with any leaks.

Also, not sure if this helps but when she is finally running the way she should when I unplug the maf sensor she sputters a little bit. When I plug her back in again she running as she should.

I did notice last week when I tried that same thing again there was no difference when I unplugged the maf sensor.

Thanks guys,

Paul

Old 04-27-2010, 12:55 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

You can check the fuel pressure regualtor easy. Remove the throttle cover. Then you will see a small vacuum line off the reg. After is has sat for a little while remove the vacuum line and see if it smells like gas. If id does the reg is leaking and bad.