Volvo V40 A super safe wagon, this attainable Volvo offers something for everyone.

Major reassembly idenification questions please

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 01:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major reassembly idenification questions please

Hello and thank you for reading!
I just registered. I posted an intro..
To begin with, I'm completely new to Volvos.
I'm in an awkward place right now. With a v40 from 2000. I work in IT, I also have A1 A8 and A5 ASE certifications. Just a hobby. I search craigslist and letgo for terms like "head gasket" "timing belt" "needs engine" etc and offer people $50-$100 more than they'd get from a scrap yard for their non-running vehicles, fix them, and sell them. Makes decent cash to buy my son stuff or to take my family out to dinner, vacations, etc. Usually this is simplistic and quick. Yesterday however I actually fell in love with a car I bought. It's a 2000 v40 as I stated earlier. It's tinted, lowered, has aftermarket wheels, and the guy said he put a larger turbo on it (still Volvo but 11psi, dont recall the details). It overheated an hour away from his house at his ex's house, he put a new radiator in it, that didn't fix it, he moved onto headgasket, he has a new gasket installed along with new bolts but never got around to finishing it, his new wife was upset etc. So, I gave him $250 for this car and towed it home. I separated his bag of bolts into like-pieces, but I have no idea what they are. Can anyone help identify them? Do any of them look familiar? Aside from bolt identification, does anyone know the proper way to loosen tension of the timing belt? I'm a sucker for Eurowagons and this one is just sweet, I want to keep it. I just need some info to get it buttoned back up. There's also some very weird stuff going on with the wiring to the coils, but it's too dark for me to get decent pictures, and will have to wait till tomorrow.. Any help IDing anything or any thoughts or suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thank you!
I do have larger pics of each letter but didnt want to spam my second post here.. No idea what any of these are, especially the banjo bolt! There is one banjo bolt on what I believe is the oil line to the turbo but Im stumped where this one would go.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:47 PM

Well. It's all back together. With the exception of 1 bolt I dropped. It went to something on the firewall side of the motor and it's leaking coolant from the missing bolt area but no biggie I'll pick up a new bolt tomorrow. It however will no start. Cranks fine. Pulled code P0335. I'm not sure if this indicates the cams shifted from the crank while the belt was off or what. Any suggestions?

thanks!

Old 07-30-2018, 08:58 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Code P0335 is the crankshaft sensor, it is telling you that the sensor failed to detect the crankshaft's rotation. Check that something is unplugged or if you somehow removed the crank sensor.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:33 PM

Thanks.

I've aligned the cams maybe 4 times now. The last time I pulled the cam sensor trim ring thing on the exhaust cam and plug from the intake cam to try and use the slots to keep them even, went to slap the timing belt on but the bolt for the tensioner got sort of stripped so I'm using a thread chaser on the hole and purchased a new bolt at rural king, and going to try and start it again. What makes me most angry is after taking the timing belt off for probably the 6th time thinking i didnt have alignment right, I found broken wires at both coils, I bet that was the problem the whole time.

Thanks.