Volvo V50 A sports wagon that is affordable, sporty and best of all, useful for almost anything.

Locating '06 Volvo V50 Rear Hub Bearing Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locating '06 Volvo V50 Rear Hub Bearing Bolts

Howdy All,

I had to replace the right rear bearing hub assembly on my Volvo this week and unfortunately, I stripped 2 of the torx bolts.

I was able to remove the bolts by drilling them out, but now I am short 2 torx bolts.

Anyone know where I can get some torx bolts before I go to the dealer?

Thanks,
Lord Snax

Last edited by Lord Snax; 08-07-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:39 PM
Default Anyone know where to get these bolts?

Originally Posted by Lord Snax
Howdy All,

I had to replace the right rear bearing hub assembly on my Volvo this week and unfortunately, I stripped 2 of the torx bolts.

I was able to remove the bolts by drilling them out, but now I am short 2 torx bolts.

Anyone know where I can get some torx bolts before I go to the dealer?

Thanks,
Lord Snax
Seriously I cannot find the proper mounting bolts anywhere, nothing relevant in any of the Volvo forums either. FCP Euro sent the wrong bolts, they sent me these; EDIT: These are the proper bolts for the AWD also;

SKU:

VOL-999478

Volvo Six Point Socket Screw - Genuine Volvo 999478

which are apparently for the front wheel drive rear hubs, not the AWD, they insist they are the right ones as shown on their diagram as part #21, but didn’t understand that that diagram is not for the AWD V50, and these bolts are narrower than the mounting ports on the new hubs. So now I have two brand new hubs, Timken HA590321 I bought from Rock Auto, but I cannot find the proper bolts anywhere. The local Volvo dealership is a three hour drive away and local mechanic shop in my town refuses to install customer-supplied parts or locate and sell the bolts. I can do the work but need to locate the proper bolts.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Last edited by CullenB; 03-06-2020 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by CullenB
Seriously I cannot find the proper mounting bolts anywhere, nothing relevant in any of the Volvo forums either. FCP Euro sent the wrong bolts, they sent me these; SKU:

VOL-999478

which are apparently for the front wheel drive rear hubs, not the AWD, they insist they are the right ones as shown on their diagram as part #21, but didn’t understand that that diagram is not for the AWD V50, and these bolts are narrower than the mounting ports on the new hubs. So now I have two brand new hubs, Timken HA590321 I bought from Rock Auto, but I cannot find the proper bolts anywhere. The local Volvo dealership is a three hour drive away and local mechanic shop in my town refuses to install customer-supplied parts or locate and sell the bolts. I can do the work but need to locate the proper bolts.

Anyone got any suggestions?
Wow! I completely forgot this thread existed.

What I did was I went to a place that sells bolts, fasteners, specialty drill bits, etc. The place I got the mounting bolts is called Gem Fasteners Inc. in Maryland. I just bright in the bolt in question and they got me some hardened steel bolts for my hub. I went with hex over torx for my application.

These places are usually located in an industrial park area. Do some Googling to see what's in your area.

If you don't have the bolt, just bring in one of your hubs and show them the threads on it. They'll be able to find what you need.

Hope this helps,
Lord Snax

Old 03-06-2020, 03:13 PM

I was wrong -

These are the correct bolts for the AWD rear hubs also. I didn't think they were because they are threaded all the way to the bolt head even the section that, when installed, is within the mounting ports on the hubs, and yes they are narrower than the mounting ports but when all four are torqued down my new hubs were tight and from all perspectives seemed to fit properly.

After contacting FCP Euro and another parts distributor who said these appear to be the correct bolts (and one Volvo dealership with an online parts store responded with a generic message asking what my question was) so I went ahead with the project on those words. After removing the first original torx screw to compare to the new ones it was very similar so I continued. No issues with any of the bolts, each came out easily with a bit of PB Blaster first, then lightly hammering the torx bit into place through the larger access hole on the hub, and using a 30" breaker bar they all turned easily without stripping, some threads were rusted but none were too oxidized that they wouldn't turn. Honestly the most stressful part of this job was determining if the bolts were proper, and reading about other people's difficulties with bolts stripping and/or breaking. Cleaned all the surfaces, mounted the new hubs and got rolling. All in all it was about a 4 hour process which could easily be done in 2 hours now, excepting any hinderances.

Fair is fair - I was wrong and hope this thread helps anyone who may in the future encounter the same uncertainties.

Old 03-06-2020, 03:33 PM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

Your local Ace Hardware store could be a source for most of the hardware you'll need - at least the ones with the really fully-stocked nuts-and-bolts section. I recently broke both (very rusty) hub pinch bolts (the ones that hold the struts in on my BMW) and found essentially identical hardware in the bins at Ace. Yeah, a couple bolts and nuts cost $15 or so (big bolts, though), and they had 19mm heads vs. the original 18mm... but as long as the grade of the new hardware is comparable (often better) than the original, you're good to go, and save a trip to the local stealership, or the delay in having to order hardware.