Volvo V50 A sports wagon that is affordable, sporty and best of all, useful for almost anything.

Update after V50 purchase - Q on tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 07:13 PM
mxo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update after V50 purchase - Q on tires

After buying a 2005 2.5T AWD MT before the holidays, it mostly sat in the garage because 1) it came with all season tires that weren't safe for the winter in New England, and 2) it had the awful smell after the seller shampooed the interior (T-Tec) and carpet.

The smell is still there, but much better so I've been driving it for a few weeks. It is a fun car to drive, but compared to my P2 XC70, much smaller and ride isn't as comfy obviously. It really doesn't have much storage space so I got some silly stuff, like, sunglass clip and iPhone holder for the vent. Replaced the cup holder tray with another one that has rubber sleeves. Man, that helps. All in all, I'm happy with the car, especially having a manual transmission again.

I have maybe a month or so before I need to buy a new set of tires and I could use some suggestions. I will be getting a set of snow tires next winter, but instead of 'summer' tires, I'll be getting all season tires. 205/50/17 is the size.

I'm debating between these all seasons. Have you used these, or can you recommend some others I should consider?
- Continental ExtremeContact DWS
- Pirelli Cinturato P7

I know these have high speed rating (I'll be happy with V), but what I really care about is : ride comfort, low noise, dry/wet traction, & cost

Would going to 16" help with ride comfort? The ride isn't too bad, much better than '96 855T that I remember as very harsh over bumps, but I am in my 50's and don't really drive that aggressively anymore. Well, sometimes, but not always. Changing size is the last resort because I'll have to shell out even more money to get the new rims, then the hassle of selling the wheels, but if you had the chance to compare the ride comfort between the two sizes, I'd appreciate your feedback.

Thanks.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is probably late to respond to your question but yes 16 in wheels will moderate the ride from 17 inch. I have 18 inch pilot sport and had to replace the rear trailing arms that are fixed from the OEM. Too much camber which destroyed these expensive tires. Anyways, installed adjustable training arms and tire wear is normal now. Thing is these tires 22540 18 track and tend to follow any grooves in the road. U need to pay attention as they will move the car around literally out of the late u r travelling in. My winters are 16 inch and are much smoother on the road and over bumps. They don't transmit nearly as much of the road surfCe to the suspension and steering.
Good luck.