Volvo V50 A sports wagon that is affordable, sporty and best of all, useful for almost anything.

The V50 AWD system not working ?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The V50 AWD system not working ?????

I can NOT get this car up a very icy/snowy gradient - the rear tires refuse to hook up. Sometimes the DCS light flicks on and off - and sometimes not. But as many times as I try, I watch the rear tire, and it won't go. I understand the fronts will go first, BUT then the rears ? I am very, very disappointed.

What are possible issues at play here? Is it the AWD system? Or is it just a ****ty setup that doesn't work to begin with?

Old 04-05-2021, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool V50 T50: almost all torque to REAR wheels.

i bought my wife a one ownder 2006 Volvo V5 AWD 6-manual with 100K miles on it. It was meticulously maintaned at Boston Volvo and now has~176K well maintained miles at Penkhus Volvo in Colorado Springs.
We=hen newer, I'm almost certain dash warning lights came on and (not fun) power cuts happenend when I originaly applied excessive throttle during the first snowy Boston winter, but so not any more; not for at least a year.
Don't get me wrong, It's been a a great pooch and grocery hauler, but I have big fun hanging the tail out and an occasional scary oops! No more TCS whatsoever:
Under aggressive acceleration in the first 3 gears in snow (&4 on ice), at no apparent time does the traction ever control interfere. I probably get 75+% of the torque to the rears(equall) lanuching great geyesrs of snow and into into the chilly Colorado air. The fronts (with identical Contintentinal DWS 06 tires do provide some modest pull, but doing donuts in parking lots super easy - and big fun for me. No so much for he wife and dog.
What can be adjusted or replaced to make his car less skittish for my wife and less nerve wrackin' for our big doggie in sloppy weather?