Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

2001 v70 turbo poor running condition

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 v70 turbo poor running condition

I have a 2001 volvo v70 that runs like crap. When I am reving the engine in park it spuders and chokes when I step on the gas, it may not even increase in RPM, I have to let of the gas a bit to get it higher in RPM. It can only go to 4000 rpm no higher. I hear it misfiring, sometimes back firing.
When I drive it does the same thihngs, very gutless, like the turbo is not working.

The turbo is not seized, there are no vacuum leaks, the timing is correct, i disconnected the oxygen sensors and still runs the same but worse, i took of the down pipe to rule out the exhaust and it still ran the same. I changed the injector rail and still the same.
fuel pressure read 55 ps1 while running and 50 psi at stop, i still gotta check the spec on this. I have a snap-on vantage and I checked the airmass meter and according to it the output voltage is correct. also the compression is good.
one thins i am not sure about is the turbo control valve, i will do some research tonight on it.

Any other ideas, i am stumped on this one. Thanks

Old 04-17-2010, 09:22 PM

I'm not positive on this, but it could be your throttle body. My car is a '00 and I'm not sure how they are different in this regard, but my ETS light was coming and going and idle was erratic prior to replacement. Before I replaced my ETM I did a lot of research and came across the symptoms that you describe as later stages of ETM failure. Mine wasn't as severe as you describe, but I didn't want to wait and take any chances.

Also, did you do any work on the car prior to this happening? After I cleaned my PCV system, my car was backfiring and misfiring badly - a bad seal due to a bent throttle body gasket. After I fixed that leak, everything went back to normal.

Hope that helps,

D

Old 04-17-2010, 10:44 PM

ok that is what i though at first is the throttle body, so i changed it with another one. i was not 100% sure it was a good one but what are the chances that 2 fail in the same way especially when i have not seen one go bad like this before. the car idles pretty good and is when you rev it up or apply load to it that is runs poorly.
tomorrow i will pull the hose off of the PCV valve and check for any pressure coming out of it, but the valve is cleaned out.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:58 PM

When I spoke about the PCV, I didn't intend to imply that the PCV would cause poor idling/running condition. What I wanted to highlight was that the throttle body gasket was no good and unmetered air was coming in (bypassing the MAF) - there could be a place where unmetered air is coming and that is throwing the system off a bit. Speaking of the MAF, I've seen similar issues with cars when the MAF was going out, not with my Volvo but with a Saab. When was the last time you cleaned it or replaced it? With Saabs the MAF's are a regular wear item and they regularly create issues for owners, not sure how it's with Volvo. Can you test it with another one? If you're close by, you could try using the one from my car. I believe 2000 and 2001 have the same MAF.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:41 AM

i do not have another one to try, i live in windsor, ontario, thanks for the offer.
i did test the output voltage of the maf and it was good, but i will try cleaning it to see what happens.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:24 PM

ok i found the problem, it is the MAF sensor, i unplugged it and took it for a drive it ran way better.
I did test the voltage with a snap on vantage and according to that the sensor was ok. That really messed me up.
I am ordering a new one today