Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

30K service for '06 -- what's the truth?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 08:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 30K service for '06 -- what's the truth?

Time for 30K service on '06 2.5t. Owners manual says one thing, dealer says lots more service/inspections "needed". I like to keep my cars 150K+.

What's the truth here? Oil, filter, air filter I know.

Car is a CPO warranty one, so I've got to keep the warranty going.

Thanks. (BTW. I tried searching for a similar thread, but found nothing)

Old 10-31-2009, 08:32 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

30K is supposed to be the tune up service.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:41 AM

Local dealer, where the car was bought, has its own "program" where it deems about $680 worth of service due at 30K intervals and bears little resemblance to what the owner's manual says. For instance, "flame trap" service needed, and spark plug replacement. Not per Volvo. So, dealer simply cannot be trusted except to want to extract money from me.

I can check fluid levels all by myself. Which is most of what owner's manual calls for (plus check brake pads, lines, battery mounting, parking brake operation and a few other misc non-fluid level items).

I guess my question is what's needed to keep CPO warranty in effect. I don't want to lose that. And, secondary, besides checking trans fluid level, color and smell, is there something else that I should do? Reading here about earlier auto trans troubles has made me paranoid, I guess.

Thank you verra much!

Old 11-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

You may want to check your warranty paperwork (guidelines). I have heard of people having their cars serviced at non-dealer maintenance shops and the warranty is still honored by the manufacturer.

As for what is recommended, you can check the Volvo site: http://www.volvocars.com/us/tools/Ow...lvoOwners.aspx

Old 11-02-2009, 10:38 AM

Wow, these guys are like the Terminator -- no pity, no remorse.

I went in armed with the actual warranty/service book. So much for their $680 replace plugs, service flame trap, etc. But, they called and said the brake fluid looks discolored, it should be flushed. The coolant still protects, but it looks like the anti-corrosion is wearing out.

I asked: have you tested these? Well, no, they hadn't. I looked. Nothing says replace brake fluid at 30K (it says 37.5K) and oddly, I saw nothing about coolant replacement at all. Lifetime? Not in my lifetime, but I'll bet it lasts at least 60K.

And, of course, after rotating the tires, he suggested maybe we should get some new ones at the dealer. They're close, but not gone. And the dealer doesn't offer "free" rotation and balancing.

Its a wild world out there, isn't it?

Old 11-02-2009, 01:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

almost all (almost) dealers do this. Never go in and ask for the XX thousand mile service. You go in and state what is in the service manual and have that done.

That said, at 30k (if you have a turbo) i would do the spark plugs. But if you are handy with a wrench, DIY!

Old 11-02-2009, 02:27 PM

I managed to do a set on a Honda Pilot which involved two different types of wrenches and "backwards" angles on the rear cylinder bank. And climbing and stretching just a bit too far for comfort. (Most of my cars have been inline 4's which is almost like cheating).

Any plug recommendations? I've heard pro and con re platnium plugs which I've used in Hondas w/o problems.

Thanks. Lo pressure 2.5 turbo.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OEM - they are very good and cheap from ipd

Old 11-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by malaka
Wow, these guys are like the Terminator -- no pity, no remorse.

I went in armed with the actual warranty/service book. So much for their $680 replace plugs, service flame trap, etc. But, they called and said the brake fluid looks discolored, it should be flushed. The coolant still protects, but it looks like the anti-corrosion is wearing out.

I asked: have you tested these? Well, no, they hadn't. I looked. Nothing says replace brake fluid at 30K (it says 37.5K) and oddly, I saw nothing about coolant replacement at all. Lifetime? Not in my lifetime, but I'll bet it lasts at least 60K.

And, of course, after rotating the tires, he suggested maybe we should get some new ones at the dealer. They're close, but not gone. And the dealer doesn't offer "free" rotation and balancing.

Its a wild world out there, isn't it?
Yes it certainly is (a wild world out there)!

First off, to keep your warranty in force all you have to do is prove that your car was maintained/serviced per your owner's manual. You can have the work done at an independent or even DIY as long as you can prove it was done competently. Keep receipts and a service log book with dates and mileages, etc.

Years ago dealers tried to tell people that they had to have their cars serviced at the dealer to keep their warranty intact; someone finally took them to court and won! I believe it's Federal law now (that they can't NOT honor your warranty simply because the vehicle wasn't serviced at a dealer)...

As far as the brake fluid and coolant; both should be changed every 2-3 years or so (same with any vehicle); time is more important than mileage.

BTW: Never buy tires from a dealer!

Good Luck! I see you're in SE MI; hope you're doing OK? I have friends/family there; very hard times right now...