Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

'98 V70 heater core replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 V70 heater core replacement

The heater core on my '98 V70 is leaking and I am thinking of replacing it. Changed the timing belt and water pump on my passat recently so I am optimistic that I can handle this one too. The heater core is clearly visible and accessible from the driver side footwell as shown in this picture:

https://volvoforums.com/upfiles/1589...1C669A77CA.jpg

If anyone has replaced it without removing the dash board, can you pls post the instructions? If it is not possible to replace it without removing the dashboard, then is there an easier procedure to do it other than the instructions posted by tech on this forum?

Thanx!

Old 11-24-2005, 11:18 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: '98 V70 heater core replacement

TECH is a Volvo mechanic and so I would suppose that his suggestions are quite valid. Now, as to the leaking heater core. Generally the core leaks as a result of the owner NOT changing coolant on a 'every other year' basis. Doing that and adding a can of water pump lubricant will virtually eliminate your heater core failure in the future.
Reg

Old 11-25-2005, 01:58 PM

Thanx Reg! Didn't mean to doubt tech's instructions but I thought I also read somewhere on the forum that for some year models the procedure did not required removal of dash board to change heater core. Actually I read in the Haynes model for my car that the heater core (the manual is UK version and it calls it as heater matrix which earlier I thought was something else) can be replaced by accessing the heater core from both footwell sides. I am gonna give this a try and will posts the results. This car I bought it used this summer and discovered the coolant leak when I started using the heater. Do not know how old the coolant is and what type it is. I am thinking of flushing the whole thing out and fill it up with an amsoil or prestone propylene glycol (yellow) antifreeze (the companies say prop glycol is safe with aluminum cooling systems and is "an upgrade" to the ethylene glycol antifreeze which Volvo recommends).

(Shifting gears) Another question: When I am driving the car the ABS/TRACS OFF light lits up on the dash board and sometimes it goes away. It does not remain constant and there is no OBDII error code. If there is something wrong in the ABS or ECM system, the warning light should light up as soon as I start the car. This does not happen. So I checked the ABS sensors and found that the one on the front right wheel has a quarter dent on the circular face of the sensor which faces the rotating wheel. Does this dent make the sensor bad or is the sensor still good?

Thanx!

Old 11-26-2005, 09:35 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes give it a shot without removing the dash. Sometimes you can get it out without removing the dash.

On the other note Most likely the ABS module is bad.

Old 12-06-2005, 10:55 PM

It looks to me that in the original post (question) on replacing the heater core there is referanced " instructions posted by tech in this forum ". Not only am I a new Volvo owner ( '98 V70R ) but also new to surfing and forums. Have I missed a link or something containing these instructions? I have recently purchased this car wich is in otherwise fine shape, knowing of this problem. My local shops want $1300 u.s. for the job. I worry about rattles etc. if I try to take the dash apart myself. Was the job succesfully done without taking the dash apart?

Old 12-12-2005, 10:50 PM

Mine is a '98 V70 AWD and I didn't have to remove the dash at all - I was able to access the heater core housing from the driver and passenger side footwells after rolling over the carpet. Similarly I guess it should be accessible in a V70R also without removing the dash. I however aborted the job beause I have not had the part yet and I had to put the car together fast so I could return the other car.