Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

'98 v70 trac off & tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 03:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 v70 trac off & tire pressure

I just purchased my first volvo. Very nice car. A few questions: I've turned the traction control off because I thought I might get better gas mileage. Is that true?
Since the car reverts back to AWD once it has been stopped and started again, I figure Volvo really wants you to use it.

As for the tire pressure, the Contis p215 extreme contact are rated for a pretty high max psi. Should I still stick to the psi specifications on the inside of the gas flap?

Old 10-22-2005, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: '98 v70 trac off & tire pressure

Hi there.

Unless you are on a track day, would leave the traction control on. Have never heard of TC increasing fuel consumption - it is an electronic safety system & if it ever operates, it actually reduces the fuel supply to the engine momentarily.

Using AWD will increase traction in low grip conditions e.g. rain or snow (or off road). Volvo probably have it default to AWD to improve safety in case driver forgets to engage it in these conditions. The downside is that AWD increases fuel consumption (& slows acceleration times on dry roads).

Tyres are marked with maximum inflation pressures for legal & safety reasons. If the tyres are the size/profile specified on the pressure inflation chart inside the gas flap then use those recommended pressures, not the maximum shown on the tyre sidewall.

Amongst other things, too low pressure will cause premature tread wear on the outsides of the tread, increase fuel consumption, drastically increase tyre temperatures especially at speed and could lead to catastrophic failure such as a "blow out" or the tyre could come off the wheel when cornering if pressure gets real low.

Amongst other things, too high pressure will cause premature tread wear in the centre of the tyre, reduce traction, increase stopping distance, could cause sidewall deformation/weakspots & will give a harsh ride.

Hope this helps.

BB

Old 10-24-2005, 07:24 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: '98 v70 trac off & tire pressure

Traction control and stability control should always be left on! You paid a premium for these two SAFETY options (they were included in the base cost of your auto) and you will thank Volvo for them if in fact you drive in the snow belt. They both work in conjuction with your anti lock brake system in addition to the ETM as Black Beauty mentioned. I truly doubt that you are going to be taking a station wagon to a driver's school and so simply leave the "button" as is.
R.