Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

99 v70 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 12:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 v70 Problems

Hello,

I've been having a lot of problems over the past couple of months w/ a 1999 v70 wagon. It started w/ a check engine light (that was unable to be diagnosed...speed sensors? catalytic converter? O2 sensor?) that came on and off for a while.

It became worse when the ABS, Transmission, Traction Control, Check Engine, (and maybe other lights) appeared all at once and the car went into Limp Home Mode. I assume every problem is the ETM (still original in car). I took the car to the dealer at this point. Well, the dealer replaced the ABS module which corrected the problem and cleared all the errors.

2 months later...Check Engine light, terrible idle...feels like it will stall, loss of power when driving, feels terrible when changing gears...running exceptionally poorly w/ the AC in use. Anyway, back to the shop again...dealer diagnoses 2 bad coil packs but advises to replace all 5 (and all 5 spark plugs) due to poor condition/chance of failure.

Well, I guess I don't really have any questions...just venting. I'm just hoping that the real problem now is the coil park/spark plug etc. and not an ETM.

The wagon is at ~ 130K miles, and is really great other than these things....great w/ kids, dogs, luggage etc. (and nice to not have car payment). Can anyone make me feel any better? Today's bill was $647 reduced to $580. The ABS was almost $900. Any comments? Time for a new (used) car?

Pete

Old 07-08-2006, 12:31 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: 99 v70 Problems

Did they do the Recall software for the ETM?

Old 07-08-2006, 12:38 AM

Yes, I forgot to mention that. They did that when the did the ABS work.

Old 07-08-2006, 12:46 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Oh ok
The Coils are Known Weak spots on the 1999 and newer cars.
But over all be glad it wasn't the throttle body and it wasn't a year ago.

That bill would have been about $1200.00.(Before the recall)

Old 05-24-2010, 09:08 PM

I have a 99 V70 XC turbo and have found that by self diagnosing with the help of everyone on this site then doing the small stuff myself and the bigger stuff by a mechanic down the street after I have bought the parts. The ABS for example I sent to Vic Rocha in California after getting the ABS and TRACS light, six days and $140 later all lights are out. Stay on this site and you will get to know your car.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Get a code reader too

Hello Pete, tech and evesis are right. A LITTLE homework on this and other boards helps keep the costs down. Too bad you didn't know about Vic Rocha first. Also, the CEL for those bad coil packs would've been pin-pointed by a reader. You can change those things in a suit. Just buy a code reader which is CAN compatable. Many code readers (scanners) which are clearence priced are not. Buy local just in case a reader won't talk to your car. A loaner reader from a parts store wouldn't read my car. I own a ScanGuage and a Biltema from Sweden. A dealership updated the ETM software on my 1999 around 4 years ago. Aside from reading about it on a board like this one, the mechanic you and/or the previous owner patronized should've known to have it done. I'd give some thought to assessing that guy's "Volvo inVOLVment". The master window switch might go on you. There are original and aftermarket versions available. Just for fun: do a search on XeMODeX. It's a Canadian company which retrofits the bad ETMs with a Hall effect pickup. It's so cool you'll be praying for your's to fritz out. Don't neglect your timing belt (and rollers and water pump) and fluid changes. Take the reins! Kira

Old 06-21-2010, 11:42 AM

Hello Georgeandkira,I've been reading as many posts as I can. I have a 1999 xc v70 non turbo with 175,000 miles, was running great now it's running ruff, and big time power loss. As I read on it seems like coil\spark plugs might be the problem, but I don't want to spend $$$ on stuff I don't need, I would like to get a scanner/code reader but dont know which one to get, I'm sure this would help me find the problem. From reading your post looks like you may have a good idea on which one to get. I would greatly appreciate any advice on this subject, thank you in advance.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Georgeandkira
Just for fun: do a search on XeMODeX. It's a Canadian company which retrofits the bad ETMs with a Hall effect pickup. It's so cool you'll be praying for your's to fritz out. Kira

They do not use a Hall effect pickup. Hall effects require supporting electronics that will not fit in the ETM. The ETM needs an analog signal not digital. This is what they use.

https://www.sensofoil.com/index.php?id=3

Sensofoil contact less with a magnet. Not hall effect. About $30 for each side what a bargain for $565

Old 06-21-2010, 10:40 PM

$565 is pricey compared to the piece part that makes it work, but compared to the Volvo OEM and considered reliabilty, a "bargin", ha ha ! Saw a very similar item out of China. If I could figure how to do it, I'd do my own and sell them too!

Jerry

Old 06-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Notice taken

Hello, To Bobec: Thanks for the correction. I'm guilty of repeating something I read.
To checksix: It looks like X*****X crafted themselves a fairly good profit margin.
To ranger101: My experience is limited. I've tried 3 units. The unit I have is a Scan Guage. They have slimmed down the box and added a feature or two and it's now called Scan GuageII. It has worked well on every car I've ever plugged it into-2 Ford Windstars, 1 Jeep Cherokee, 2 P2 Volvos, 2 Saab 9-5s, a Pontiac, a Lincoln and others.
Friends in Sweden sent me a Biltema 101 (a store like IKEA except with more goods than furnishings) which read but couldn't clear a code. This unit came on the recommendation of a Volvo mechanic in Sweden. It came with a disc which doesn't seem to do anything once loaded.
On a whim I went to an Auto Zone store and asked to use their loaner when I had a P0442 code. Their Innova wouldn't even recognize my car. I often wonder how people make out when they go to a shop to use the loaner. Kira