Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

99 XC70 key keeps turning around in ignition

Old 08-29-2009, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 XC70 key keeps turning around in ignition

the problem is this 99 xc70 key will keep turing around in the ignition assembly.
i know it needs another assembly, and volvo says it must be brand new.
well i have a used one actually only 2 weeks old in a 99 s70 t5 that then got in an accident. i have the ignition assembly, immobilizer ring, and module that i installed in the xc and the car will not start. so this is telling me that it does indeed have to be a new assembly and that volvo then mates it to the car?

has anyone ever put a used one in and did it work?

Old 08-30-2009, 07:21 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Used ones will not work on 99 and up cars. It is because the keys are programmed to the car. If you order one that matches the original key code and reinstall the original module and then install the new lock assembly it should start right up.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i figured out a solution so I can use the used one.
install the used one and it will tun the ignition switch and the shift release, but wont sense the key and will not turn over.
but if i tie up the old one under the dash somewhere keeping the key in the ignition part and keep the key sensor ring plugged in it will start up. HA
but i am going to try to get the dealer to reprogram the used keys to the vehicle so i do not have to use this method. i will let you know what happens

Old 09-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by volvorecycle
i figured out a solution so I can use the used one.
install the used one and it will tun the ignition switch and the shift release, but wont sense the key and will not turn over.
but if i tie up the old one under the dash somewhere keeping the key in the ignition part and keep the key sensor ring plugged in it will start up. HA
but i am going to try to get the dealer to reprogram the used keys to the vehicle so i do not have to use this method. i will let you know what happens
Do you still have the other instrument cluster?