Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Air Pump and CEL Codes

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Pump and CEL Codes

Hi, I just recently bought a '98 V70XC and have been doing a lot of reading about the things I need to replace. I have done oil/filter, fuel filter, plugs and air/cabin filters. I have two codes from when I bought it and theAutozone reading said they are P0107 and P0410, I believe. They are the MAP/MAF and Secondary Air codes, that I'm sure. I was reading one of the posts in the XC70 forumabout Air pumps and I know Tech has said that the air pump will fill up with water. This would cause the Secondary Air code to pop up, right. I also havea problem with a hard acceleration losing power. Big Dan (from the other forum)said this would be from water from the air pump being run across the MAF.Would this cause problems with the MAF and pop the code? Am I right to think that? If so, would replacing the Air pump fix both codes, or am I going to have to replace the MAF sensor, too? Is there a way to clean the Air Pump out to get rid of all the water? Just want to make sure that I am heading in the right direction before I drop $400 on an air pump. If you need any more information, let me know.

Keith

Old 12-04-2007, 07:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Air Pump and CEL Codes

This will get you started:

P0410 Secondary Air Injection System
"Secondary Air" is an abbreviated term for the "Secondary Air Injection System". This system uses a separate air pump and a series of metal and rubber tubes to force outside air into the exhaust stream and help the catalytic converter burn away excessive emissions.
Possible causes and fixes are:

[*]Poor connection, rubbed-through wire insulation or a broken wire inside the insulation.[*]Inspect harness connectors for backed-out terminals, improper mating, broken locks, improperly formed or damaged terminals, poor terminal-to-wire connection, and damaged harness.[*]Check for worn or loose AIR pump drive belt.[*]Check for pinched, kinked or restricted AIR pipes, hoses or fittings.

Problems with this system can stem from electrical circuits, solenoids, or switches that control the pump and valves. Other problems include sticking valves, loose, rusted, or poorly connected lines, a broken drive belt, or possibly a bad pump.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Air Pump and CEL Codes

I had the same P0410 code on our 1998 V70 XC, but *hopefully* I just fixed it. I had been reading on this forum about the typical problems with theair pump and check valve on these cars, and I as I was inspecting the system on my car, I noticed that a gray connector to the air pump was completely detached! The connector is located in the front right corner of the engine compartment next to the battery.Below isa picture of it after I re-connected it. I'm hoping that somewhere in this car's history, a mechanic disconnected it and just forgot to re-connect it. I got rid of the check-engine light by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for about 30 seconds. I'm crossing my fingers that this will fix the problem and that the CEL won't be back on. Can anyone think of a reason why someone might have purposely disconnected the air pump?

[IMG]local://upfiles/17116/AFC8E5E514E84653BACC0DC828F401C8.jpg[/IMG]