Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

Air Pump and CEL Codes

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 08:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Pump and CEL Codes

Hi, I just recently bought a '98 XC70 and have been doing a lot of reading about the things I need to replace. I have done oil/filter, fuel filter, plugs and air/cabin filters. I have two codes from when I bought it and theAutozone reading said they are P0107 and P0410, I believe. They are the MAP/MAF and Secondary Air codes, that I'm sure. I was reading one of the posts about Air pumps and Big Dan said that the air pump will fill up with water. This would cause the Secondary Air code to pop up, right. I also have the problem with a hard acceleration losing power. Big Dan said this would be from water from the air pump being run across the MAF.Would this cause problems with the MAF and pop the code? Am I right to think that? If so, would replacing the Air pump fix both codes, or am I going to have to replace the MAF sensor, too? Just want to make sure that I am heading in the right direction before I drop $400 on an air pump. If you need any more information, let me know.

Keith

Old 12-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Air Pump and CEL Codes

P0410 Secondary Air Injection System
"Secondary Air" is an abbreviated term for the "Secondary Air Injection System". This system uses a separate air pump and a series of metal and rubber tubes to force outside air into the exhaust stream and help the catalytic converter burn away excessive emissions.
Possible causes and fixes are:

[*]Poor connection, rubbed-through wire insulation or a broken wire inside the insulation.[*]Inspect harness connectors for backed-out terminals, improper mating, broken locks, improperly formed or damaged terminals, poor terminal-to-wire connection, and damaged harness.[*]Check for worn or loose AIR pump drive belt.[*]Check for pinched, kinked or restricted AIR pipes, hoses or fittings.

Problems with this system can stem from electrical circuits, solenoids, or switches that control the pump and valves. Other problems include sticking valves, loose, rusted, or poorly connected lines, a broken drive belt, or possibly a bad pump.

P.S. How can you be a beach bum in Colorado Springs?

Old 12-05-2007, 08:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Air Pump and CEL Codes

Thanks for the info. I originally planned on looking at all the stuff you mentioned, but I haven't had a chance, yet. Then, I read the post that sounded just like my problems, so basically I wanted to know if the bottom line was that the air pump was bad. I still plan on checking the valve and the relay this afternoon, and I'll check the hoses as well, so I'll let you all know what I find. Thanks.

P.S.
I lived in Florida for 15 years and just moved to CO for a job. So, I might end up being SkiBum...