Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Axel Shafts going?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axel Shafts going?

My 01 V70 T5a with 105K miles is starting to make an unusual "grinding" noise when going around a sharp turn with a bump. If the turn is level no noise. I did an oil change this weekend and rotated the tires. While they were off I grabbed the CV joints and wiggled. On both sides, the inner joint seemed to have just a very little bit of play. I have been noticing this more on left turns, so I figured one side would have a little more play. They both felt the same. Are both going bad, or am I on the wrong trail?

I noticed FCP Groton and IPD both sell DSS brand. Are these OEM, or should I go through a dealer? Any things to know when changing these out? I thought it shouldn't be too tough. Oh, I did check the spring seats too and they still seem good.

Jerry

Old 01-18-2010, 07:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by checksix
My 01 V70 T5a with 105K miles is starting to make an unusual "grinding" noise when going around a sharp turn with a bump. If the turn is level no noise. I did an oil change this weekend and rotated the tires. While they were off I grabbed the CV joints and wiggled. On both sides, the inner joint seemed to have just a very little bit of play. I have been noticing this more on left turns, so I figured one side would have a little more play. They both felt the same. Are both going bad, or am I on the wrong trail?

I noticed FCP Groton and IPD both sell DSS brand. Are these OEM, or should I go through a dealer? Any things to know when changing these out? I thought it shouldn't be too tough. Oh, I did check the spring seats too and they still seem good.

Jerry
We spoke with Mark @ DSS at the AAPEX show in Las Vegas. We have had good success with DSS and have confidence in the quality. We do have other manufacturers on request.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZGN-r8Fy7I

Old 01-18-2010, 01:42 PM

I just put DSS axles from FCP in my girlfriend's 01 V70 yesterday( Major PITA getting the left side out of the tranny).

They look better than the OEM's! even on the inside. After I struggled with getting the old axle out and thinking I might break the the tranny casting doing it, I thought of putting the new axle into the the old cup (only out of desperation). No way it would fit, much bigger and more robust rollers.

I guess time will tell the whole story though.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:20 PM

Andrew, Bobec: Thank you for the informative replies. While doing some research on this it seems getting the assembly seperated from the transmission can ge a real pain sometimes. I noted a tool that looks like a pull hammer on one of the sights that said it was a real "time saver". This tool looked like a web span type tool to connect to different axel configurations (4 or 5 bolt configuration). What I couldn't tell was if it was like a steering wheel puller where you use the force from a bolt being turned down, or the force of a reverse hammer as in an axel puller for real wheel drive. Can anyone comment on how the tool is used?

Jerry

Old 01-19-2010, 06:34 AM

I tried a big slide hammer I borrowed from auto zone that sounds like what you're describing. It's really meant to pull axles out of live rear ends (ring and pinion type) I think. The inner cup has very little to attach to so I tried clamping some vise grips to it and using the slide hammer on it, no luck.

I used 2 cole chisels between the cup and the tranmission case and had to drive them in hard. I was very concerned about breaking the tranmission case. Yes, it was that hard.

The mystery is that there was no oil on the axle splines on either side. the splines were dry and the clip wasn't wanting slide out of its seat. I mean what is lubricating the seals? . yes the transmission has oil in it.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:57 PM

Bobec, wow, this is not what I'd expect (to be pounding on the shaft to get it out). Anyone have a better solution? Is there a Volvo specific tool to make this less violent to get the shaft out? If there is, can you describe the tool and how it works?

Jerry

Old 01-22-2010, 08:49 PM

FWIW, I'm interested in knowing how to change a front shaft on an IFS rig. I know I've seen other posts on that, both here and on ODW, but haven't got around to searching for them yet.

I have a slightly leaky CV boot, currently zip ties are good enough to keep it sealed up. But if/when the time comes to replace the boot and I find that the joint is worn that could come in handy. I've heard its much cheaper to replace the shaft rather than going to the dealer to replace a joint.

I've also heard about people changing them on the trail - I think jeff may have busted one and swapped one (?) mid-run.

OK, not to hijack wade's thread... I think he has a '94 and was looking for info on the rear.