Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Bad Brakes & Suspension - Where do I start?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Brakes & Suspension - Where do I start?

I have a 2000 V70 with 102,000 miles. Since fall 2009 the only issues I've had are Check Engine & ABS lights coming on and going off and the o2 sensor was replaced last year. About 6 months ago a series of problems have been coming and going with the brakes and front suspension. I just want to know what the problem is before I take it to get fixed so someone isn't over charging me for a problem I don't have.

So about 6 months ago I pulled into a parking lot too fast with my wheel turned all the way to the left. The entry to the lot was like driving over a large curb. This jarred the front end so bad, I honestly expected the front left wheel to fall off. Now when I make a sharp turn it makes sort of a clicking, whining, grinding noise. (sorry, hard to describe). The car still handles fine, however the front left tire is wearing on the outside edge. Also, the Check Engine light has been on ever since and the ABS light has been on more often.

As for the brakes, sometime when I am coming to a slow stop, say in a parking lot, they will pulsate for a few seconds. Kind of like they are grab and let go. It's only happened 4-5 times. There is a also a slight rubbing or grinding noise and the steering wheel kind of shakes. If I pump the brakes 1-2 times they work fine. My rotors aren't too bad either.

This hasn't bothered me enough to get it checked out until two days ago when the same thing happened while going about 10-15mph. I had to slam on my brakes and they wouldn't stop the car. My foot couldn't push any further but I was barely slowing. I pumped the brakes a couple of times and nothing has happened since.

The suspension I can live with but not the breaks going out. I've read it could be an ABS module or Sensor, Rotors, deteriorating front suspension, all sorts of crap. Anyone have some good advice for me?

Old 05-17-2011, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

clicking noise on hard turns? sounds like a cv joint. relatively inexpensive. You definitely damaged something going over the curb, as evidenced by the tire wear. Get it fixed. Have them check the antilock sensor on that wheel while their there. Corrosion can affect the ABS sensor too. You might be able to wire brush the teeth and reposition the pick up. If they say the ABS module needs replacing, it may just need to be resoldered. Search the forums. Have them pull codes for the CEL.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your description is how I would describe when the ABS engages. Doesn't seem normal to engage when coming to slow stop. Given that your ABS light is illuminated, I see a cause-effect.... just can't tell you root cause.
Originally Posted by Tax Man

As for the brakes, sometime when I am coming to a slow stop, say in a parking lot, they will pulsate for a few seconds. Kind of like they are grab and let go. It's only happened 4-5 times. There is a also a slight rubbing or grinding noise and the steering wheel kind of shakes.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get your suspension fixed. Any play in the suspension on turns will freak out the ABS. What happens is, when the suspension clunks, wheel movement radically alters, momentarily slowing the wheel that the clunk was on. ABS sensor obviously picks this up and assumes a wheel locking up (because you are braking at the time).