Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Bad Hydraulic Engine Mount? - Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Hydraulic Engine Mount? - Pictures

I have a 2001 V70 T5 with 105k miles. While chasing a power steering fluid leak I noticed a stain on the front hydraulic mount and subrame adjacent to it (see pictures). I've had a front end vibration for about 6 months that I haven't been able to remedy and I'm wondering if the mount may have leaked fluid and caused the stain (and the vibration). What puzzles me is that the stain is dry. I assumed the mounts were filled with an oil-based substance but I guess it's possible it's something else that could evaporate. Anyone know if this is the case? From what I've read in other threads, it seems to be rare to have one of these fail at this mileage so I don't want to change it unless I'm pretty sure it's bad. The mount doesn't appear to be any more compressed than the rear hydraulic mount but the front end was on jack stands so the engine could have been "leaning" more on the rear mount. I don't recall spilling anything in this area and the stain is not on anything above the mount. Ignore the oily wiring harnesses in picture taken from below. That's from the power steering fluid leak and isn't actually very close to the mount; the angle of the picture just makes it look that way.

Attached Thumbnails Bad Hydraulic Engine Mount? - Pictures-v70-motor-mount-above.jpg   Bad Hydraulic Engine Mount? - Pictures-v70-motor-mount-below.jpg  
Old 01-29-2011, 05:08 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

That is the hydraulic fluid from the mount. It leaked out the mount is trashed.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed it yesterday and once I got it out it I could see the crack where it leaked. For the benefit of anyone else that might be looking to do this in the future, here's the process I used:
1) Unbolted the lower right engine mount from the subframe (the one accessed through the passenger side wheel well), the upper engine mount, and the lower transmission torque mount. I unbolted these to be able to jack the engine up.
2) unbolted the front hydraulic mount and jacked the engine up until it was free.
3) Removed the radiator fan assembly. I was able to remove the upper mount nut with a universal and long socket extension, but I couldn't squeeze the mount out from below. The fan assembely had to come out to get the mount out and the new one in.
4) Jacked the engine up some more to get the new mount in place. I had to jack it up until the timing belt cover was touching the strut tower brace.
5) Loosely installed the mount and carefully lowered the engine.
6) Reinstalled and tightened everything.