Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

BRAKE Circut Failure Dash Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 11:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BRAKE Circut Failure Dash Light

ABS/ TRACS Module went bad about 6 months ago.
Today, while driving, in 32 degree (f) weather, the BRAKE light illuminated on the dash. This occured about 3 times over the course of my 15 mile drive.
Braking performance is "sloppy."
Fluid is at the "low" mark.
Significant other just chose to inform me she's been driving the car (w/ intermittent light for "a few days."
I need new pads and rotors, but my QUESTION IS: can I " top off" the fluid for the time being?
While I am a skilled worker, I know little concerning automotive braking systems. Will adding more fluid to a system with shot pads make a bad situation worse?
I am asking because I am poor, I do not have a death wish, and once again, light is intermittent.
I just want to know if I can safely add a bit of DOT 4 to increase the hydraulic pressure for a few days until I do the brakes.
Thanks in advance.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:48 AM

I suppose I'm worried that I will somehow introduce air into the system by adding new fluid...

Could it just be a short since the light is intermittent? There is no correlation between using the brakes and the light coming on.
Also, condition started when temp got below 35 (f).

Anyone ever had the issue with the intermittent light?

Old 12-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Add some brake fluid. Often when pads wear along with worn rotors the fluid level in the res drops and triggers the light. If you DO NOT add fluid, you have a better chance of air getting into the system.

Once you replace the pads and rotors (if needed) the level will likely rise a little. When you blead the brakes afterwards the level will drop.

I have never done it myself but I hear there is a method to bleeding the brakes. One wheel before the others and so forth. The manual also recommends replacing all of the brake fluid every 2 years so it will be a good time to use all of the fluid you purchase. I'm sure it will help the master cylinder as well as the calipers.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by rspi
Add some brake fluid. Often when pads wear along with worn rotors the fluid level in the res drops and triggers the light. If you DO NOT add fluid, you have a better chance of air getting into the system.

Once you replace the pads and rotors (if needed) the level will likely rise a little. When you blead the brakes afterwards the level will drop.

I have never done it myself but I hear there is a method to bleeding the brakes. One wheel before the others and so forth. The manual also recommends replacing all of the brake fluid every 2 years so it will be a good time to use all of the fluid you purchase. I'm sure it will help the master cylinder as well as the calipers.
Thanks rspi! I will do just that. And I'll let you guys know how it works out.
Thanks again, and have a great weekend.