Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Brakes hanging up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 08:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes hanging up?

Hey Guys,

O.k. did my first ABS module successfully switched it out no problems and I also tried to get my A/C OFF and REC lights to stop flashing (while starting) by blowing air in the interior 02 sensor, which did not work but they only blink when it's below freezing and it seems to have no effect on climate control or fan speed, WILL POST CODES WHEN I GET THEM.

Buuuuut,

I have a new problem, when i drive the car a little hard and get it home it reeks of burning brakes,

they are still kinda new is there a break in period where they should stink?

am i hanging up somewhere?

should i be concerned?

if i were to troubleshoot i would say it was the front passenger caliper hanging up, its the only rim with any dust on it. But then again i know very little about cars and don't wanna take chance with something as important as brakes.

As Always BIG Thanks,

[IMG]local://upfiles/12393/FA22569B4777489F94704C97D438754D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-29-2008, 04:10 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Brakes hanging up?

My c70 recently had an issue with the caliper seizing. I found the piston was rusted and would not retract. The fix was: new ventilated rotors, rebuilt calipers, new pads.and new brake hoses. I replaced both fronts. To check if you have a caliper hanging up simply drive the Volvo and try not to use the brakes much. Pull to the side of the road and place your hand on the calipers (careful as the 'hung up' caliper will be very hot). If you find that, in your case, the right front caliper is much hotter than the left, then you have found the culprit. I have no idea why my caliper failed to retract and allowing it to rust, but either you have to rebuild your calipers or purchase a rebuilt unit. I found that the rotor warped somewhat because of the heat and that is why I replaced both of them. I also replaced the hoses as an old hose is prone to cracking and failing at the wrong time. Hoses are quite inexpensive.

r.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:51 AM

my last v70 had a similar problem if i recall, something caliper locking up related on one of my front wheels, car got smashed before i ever got a chance to fix it.

I am pretty sure what you described is my problem, or i am in to the early stages. My Front Passenger disc is showing wear/rust and caliper is running hot (only when i drive it hard on the mountain roads where i live, normal driving no burning brake smell/heat)

I just got the brakes replaced in December and it sounds like all those brake parts are pretty expensive which is something im none to thrilled about.

Is there a how to thread on here to show me how to do it??

My big question: is it safe to drive (normally)?

Thanks for your response

Scubb

Old 03-30-2008, 09:25 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I just had one this last week where something inside the ABS pump assembly in by the vavles inside went bad and kept the R/F wheel locked up.
Then only way to get pressure off was to open the bleeder.
If you open the bleeder and the wheel spins freely then start working back in the lines opening them at every place you can till it doesn't release the pressure then you found the blockage.

Depending on how much they hang up I woulf try to fix ASAP.
If it is hung up pretty bad you will destroy the following if you wait to long, Caliper,Rotor,pads,maybe even wheel bearing as well.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:23 AM

could it have something/anything to do with replacing the ABS module which i did last week?

of course we are moving tomorrow and have no time to deal with this, im kinda bummed that I am having problems with this car already and HAVE to drive it 100 miles tomorrow

Thanks for your help guys it is always appreciated!

Scubb