Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Carrozeriia Nav Unit AVIC-HRV011 - Information

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carrozeriia Nav Unit AVIC-HRV011 - Information

Hi. I hope this is the right forum for this. I bought a 2009 XC70 which has a Japanese "pop up" nav unit. Pioneer NZ have told me that this unit is exclusively for the Japansese home market so I would like to replace it.

The unit sticks out of the top of the panel just below the windscreen.

A few questions:
* Does anyone know how to remove it? (I haven't managed to find a Youtube video for this yet)
* Would this be an aftermarket installation?
* Does anyone know what the wiring would be on this unit (assuming I can remove it).

I would like to replace it with an Android tablet of some form if possible.

Old 08-12-2022, 10:24 PM

Yeah im in the same boat as you. Would be awesome to replace the entire unit. Even the dvd player just plays through its own internal speaker, so i cant even listen to mp3's from it in the car. There's so many of these out there, i'm really surprised there's no info out there about ripping them out.

Old 08-12-2022, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by RiceNZ
Yeah im in the same boat as you. Would be awesome to replace the entire unit. Even the dvd player just plays through its own internal speaker, so i cant even listen to mp3's from it in the car. There's so many of these out there, i'm really surprised there's no info out there about ripping them out.
I did rip mine out. :-) I gutted the screen, fitted a capicitive touch screen into the case and I have a Raspberry Pi running Android Lineage OS with my own music player app connected to the AUX port. So much more useful now! I did break the touch screen so I can't use the top vertical quarter, but it does the job.. I just moved all my touch buttons to the working area of the touch screen lol

Here you go:

Last edited by SparkyNZ; 08-12-2022 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:37 PM

bro that looks amazing. was there enough space inside the unit to fit the aux cable as well was there? Good job man! might have to do this. I appreciate the reply and photo! Going to be a bit tricky on my V50 as my screen doesn't rise, it flips forward manually.

Cheers man. Was there a guide you used to help, or did you use your number 8 wire style and do it yourself?

Old 08-12-2022, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by RiceNZ
bro that looks amazing. was there enough space inside the unit to fit the aux cable as well was there? Good job man! might have to do this. I appreciate the reply and photo! Going to be a bit tricky on my V50 as my screen doesn't rise, it flips forward manually.

Cheers man. Was there a guide you used to help, or did you use your number 8 wire style and do it yourself?
No worries. I just did it myself - no guides. The worst part was pulling out the stupid DVD unit that stole all of the glovebox space. I had to take the entire glovebox out to get access to the mounting screws holding that horrible thing in.

You would be able to achieve what I did with the flip-style screen as opposed to the vertical rising style. I hacked the touchscreen controller board a bit to make it fit and (since I broke the original trying to move the HDMI port lol...) I ended up buying a new screen controller from eBay.. some ribbon cable extenders.. The nice thing about mine having the "riser" is that there was a little bit of space underneath the "grill cover" to route some wires. I ended up drilling a hole in there to feed the wires into the back of my glovebox where the Pi sits happily.

The biggest problem with this "solution" is that the Pi doesn't have a battery backup and it takes a while for it to boot up. I just had a spare Pi 3B and wanted to make use of it. There is a 12V USB power supply that I bought - I was lucky enough to steal the 12V supply from the ETC toll gate card reader for that. It really was a big hack though! I only use the XC70 for long trips so it does the job.

As for the AUX cable lol... I had a mini jack socket in the back of the centre console (between the seats). I just ran a 3.5" male to 3.5" male cable underneath the console and fed that into the back of the glovebox too and into the Pi.